The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Émilie Castonguay as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

So maybe this already has been mentioned.

But I just heard that she represented Antoine Roussell which means she out smarted and out negotiatied Benning already.

Not that outsmarting Benning is that hard but I'm just glad to know the Canucks already improved in their contract negotiations and dealings moving forward with her around. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Her gender contributes to diversity - and that's a good thing - as does being a player agent for years.

Apart from that I couldn't care less about her background, she seems well qualified on law, finance and negotiations and those are all things we need to win.

Seems you care more about her gender than her background, which is justifiably the concern of a few posters here. 

I’m gonna give her the benefit of the doubt for now, but if our contract signings start stinking, she should be exposed to the same amount of scrutiny as other other AGM. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Seems you care more about her gender than her background, which is justifiably the concern of a few posters here. 

I’m gonna give her the benefit of the doubt for now, but if our contract signings start stinking, she should be exposed to the same amount of scrutiny as other other AGM. 

Quite the opposite of what I meant. It's good that she brings diversity, apart from that all I care about is a qualified person which enables us to win, and she seems to fit that bill.

8 minutes ago, guntrix said:

um, no its not. Its a made up concern that has no bearing on her skill set. 

8 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Why wouldn't she be?

22 minutes ago, JM_ said:

This gender debate thing is silly. All Rutherford did is prove he's not stupid enough to cut out 1/2 the population from his selection process. 

Smart man that JR is. 

I’m glad he’s President of Hockey Ops. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I feel like the media is kind of missing the mark with the significance of this hiring.

I keep seeing the line that she’s the first female assistant general manager in Canucks history.

While that’s true, the bigger story is that she’s only the second women EVER to hold that title in the NHL. The first to hold that title in over 25 years.

Simply stating that she’s the first in Canucks history makes it sound like it’s more common, and diminishes the significance IMO.

Just to add to this point, a friend sent me a link to this article about the first female AGM:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/how-angela-gorgone-became-the-nhl-s-first-female-assistant-gm

Interesting point in the article: EC mentioned that Pierre Gauthier was an important mentor to her; Gauthier was also major figure in Gorgone's NHL front-office career.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I work with people from the moment they are conceived to the moment they die. 
I can tell you that some people are just assholes from day one, literally. 
Doesn’t change my disposition towards them professionally, personally I just try to limit the time around them, I mean other than spending my time on this board. 

How can a person who has just been conceived or is a newborn baby be an asshole ?

Is that person making an informed choice/decision/action for you to place that label on them ? 

What gives you or me or anyone else the right to be the arbiter of who is an asshole ? 

In my nearly 60 years of experience- 40 of them studying human psychology, I have found that those who label others could equally have those labels placed on them.

The definition of the word asshole is, a stupid, irritating or contemptible person. 

If we take that definition as fact then everyone is an asshole. 

Because everyone can find at least one of those traits in everyone else.

Depending on their point of view. 

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

How can a person who has just been conceived or is a newborn baby be an asshole ?

Is that person making an informed choice/decision/action for you to place that label on them ? 

What gives you or me or anyone else the right to be the arbiter of who is an asshole ? 

In my nearly 60 years of experience- 40 of them studying human psychology, I have found that those who label others could equally have those labels placed on them.

The definition of the word asshole is, a stupid, irritating or contemptible person. 

If we take that definition as fact then everyone is an asshole. 

Because everyone can find at least one of those traits in everyone else.

Depending on their point of view. 

oh its possible. One of the first words a cousin of mine said to my aunt is "I itch and I hate you."

11 hours ago, JM_ said:

there really isn't a need to label them they usually show us who they are in typical ways, like causing unnecessary annoyance or harm. Or being stubborn about old beliefs about who should be allowed to work where. 

I have posted the definition of the word asshole.

Other people an find at least one of those traits in all of us.

Does that make us all assholes ?

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My Aunt Betty said directly to my Dad many years ago. And it's a great mantra.

"There's only two types of people in the world. Assholes, and everyone else." 

Moral of the story don't be an asshole to yourself, and others. 

Miss you Aunt Betty. 

Pyshcologist's say there are 5 major personality types or the " five factor model".

They are 

Conscientiousness 

Extroversion 

Agreeableness 

Openness to experience

Neuroticism 

Of course there are a few sub categories.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Pyshcologist's say there are 5 major personality types or the " five factor model".

They are 

Conscientiousness 

Extroversion 

Agreeableness 

Openness to experience

Neuroticism 

Of course there are a few sub categories.

My Aunt's theory is more fun.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I have posted the definition of the word asshole.

Other people an find at least one of those traits in all of us.

Does that make us all assholes ?

well, yes. We're all that person at one time or another. What earns a person the permanent label is how often they do those things, if its more than 51% of the time I'd say yes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1