The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Chris Gear promoted to Canucks Assistant General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced the promotion of Chris Gear to Assistant General Manager & Chief Legal Officer today. Gear will work closely with Benning, Assistant General Manager John Weisbrod, and the Canucks Hockey Operations executive in the day to day management of the team.

Gear, 47, has spent the past four seasons within the Hockey Operations executive, responsible for player contract negotiations, the club's AHL affiliation with the Utica Comets and the business operations of the team. Gear has worked a total of nine years at Canucks Sports & Entertainment (CSE) as Vice President and General Counsel and will continue to preside over both legal and insurance matters related to CSE.

"We're fortunate to have a very talented and experienced Hockey Operations staff," said Benning. "Chris Gear has made a significant contribution to our Hockey Operations executive over four years and we're pleased to recognize his efforts and have him continue to provide his experience and support."

Prior to joining CSE in 2010, Gear worked as Director and Senior Legal Counsel of the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games (VANOC). The first six years of his legal career were spent withBlake, Cassels & Graydon LLP. 

A graduate of Queen's University, Gear completed a Bachelor of Commerce degree (1995), Bachelor of Laws (1998) and was a member of the Golden Gaels football team, recognized as a CIS all-star receiver and team MVP. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-chris-gear/c-313571396

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Nice. Our management team includes the former GM of the Orlando Magic (Weisbrod) and now a former CIS football star (Gear) managing hockey decisions. He appears to have been in the front office for awhile now so it probably doesn't change much. 

Can't wait to read all the gear puns.

43 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

He was basically involved in drawing up contracts and IMHO some of those contracts handed out aren't that great. :(

Which contracts are you referring to?

Not looking for an argument just curious...

If it is the contact of LE, wonder if he could have done any different, if they wanted him. LE's free fall since signing was obviously not expected.

And I think the contract to Myers, were better than many had expected... 

Feel management had to pay extra, to sign any decent players as a bottom dweller....

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

He was basically involved in drawing up contracts and IMHO some of those contracts handed out aren't that great. :(

I doubt he has anything to do with numbers, terms and/or NTC/NMC.  Those terms are dictated by Bennings and the Agent/Player.  He just put it on papers.  I'm sure he has more to do with other stuff, like all the footprint of the CBA, responsibilities and rights, conduct, etc.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I doubt he has anything to do with numbers, terms and/or NTC/NMC.  Those terms are dictated by Bennings and the Agent/Player.  He just put it on papers.  I'm sure he has more to do with other stuff, like all the footprint of the CBA, responsibilities and rights, conduct, etc.

Exactly. Pretty sure was the guy that made sure the numbers worked, not the guy that negotiated the number. Maybe similar to Lawrence Gillman. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'd rather he stay in his strong position of drafting. Play to his strengths.

Problem is if good people can't advance internally they'll end up getting poached by another team willing to give them more responsibility.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Contracts the last few years have been excellent value.  Ones like Eriksson's involved ownership, so highly unlikely he had a significant hand in them, if at all.  Sounds like he may be key in cap management for the team as well, the Gilman replacement.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd rather he stay in his strong position of drafting. Play to his strengths.

Like every one else Brackett likely enjoys the idea of promotion and if Vcr doesn't attend to his needs some other team will. He's building a solid reputation and will attract attention. I'm unaware of his contract status but Vcr best pay attention to him or they may live to regret it

• Upvote 2