The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

signing until he's 30 you must think Bo is a complete moron that would be the worst possible move for him. He will sign for 7-8 years for max $ and only if he believes there is a chance to win here. He's not gonna endure another rebuild.  

You realize players can ask for a trade, ya? He could easily get locked in, and if it doesn't pan out to his liking they can trade him then.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because has a house here.  He’s raising his family here.  He has strong ties to our city.  Miller has no ties.  He’s gone for sure as a UFA.  Because will sign a team friendly deal.  Trade Miller.  

Ya ya ya sure my point is Bo's going to want the security of a long term contract not a 2-3 year deal that expires when he hits his best before. 

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You realize players can ask for a trade, ya? He could easily get locked in, and if it doesn't pan out to his liking they can trade him then.

You realize that if you trade Miller for futures the message youre sending is going to be very poorly received by Bo who already called the team out for trading Marky Tanev.  It's not fair to expect him to waste his prime years on a team that  can't get their $&!#e together. he's 26 in 2 years according to CDC he will be over the hill trade fodder. Its poop or get off the pot time for him. 

IMO you reinforce the core of Miller Bo Hughes Demko by moving Brock maybe Hoglander and you start getting after it before we end up like Edmonton constantly kicking the can down the road hoping for our stars to magically align. The window stays shut if you don't open it. 

33 minutes ago, tas said:

no return will have the same short term impact as miller. 

This is true, but short term we ain’t winning a cup. JB’s mistake was putting all the chips on the table (losing future benefit for a chance at the playoffs) when the team was not constructed to win the cup. The team needs some changes, more prospects and more cap flexibility. We seem to be 3-5 years away from being truly competitive. I’d rather wait than see perpetual mediocrity in the standings. I’ll trust what JR does (for now).

43 minutes ago, hammertime said:

You realize that if you trade Miller for futures the message youre sending is going to be very poorly received by Bo who already called the team out for trading Marky Tanev.  It's not fair to expect him to waste his prime years on a team that  can't get their $&!#e together. he's 26 in 2 years according to CDC he will be over the hill trade fodder. Its poop or get off the pot time for him. 

IMO you reinforce the core of Miller Bo Hughes Demko by moving Brock maybe Hoglander and you start getting after it before we end up like Edmonton constantly kicking the can down the road hoping for our stars to magically align. The window stays shut if you don't open it. 

Ya but they also have to take responsibility for that. If they hadn’t lost so many games then they wouldn’t be in this position. It’s on the players they are even talking about trading Miller. They didn’t do their part to keep the team together and when you lose and miss the playoffs you cant expect to keep the same team together. I find it funny when people say well Bo will be angry. Ya well then don’t play so dumpy and put the GM in a position to have to make changes. They can only blame themselves.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

We'll already have dead cap because of Holtby and Virtanen, and likely Halak's bonus on the books too unless he's moved. That's just under 4M in dead cap altogether. What's another 2.65 for 1.25 seasons if it gets us a better return? 

You still free up roughly 2.65M in cap. Plus, retaining increases the number of teams who can bid and drives up his value. We've suffered Luongo's recapture this long, what's one more year? Particularly if we get young roster players in return?

It's still $2.65 MM in Cap space.  Rutherford won't like it !  Neither do I.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

We never traded Marky and Tanev, we didn't resign them. Also, not resigning Marky was the correct choice 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, sxqhfeh said:

without Miller they have to do the full rebuilt, the question is if they keep Miller, what pieces do they need to be a cup contender, IMO keep Miller, Demko, Hughes, and built around them 

There's too many holes to fill and not enough cap or assets to acquire the pieces to fill them. MIller is in his prime now and will probably wont stick around after his contract is up so he's the logical choice to move granted someone pays the price we want. If Miller was a few years younger and the team was a bit more closer theres no way on earth you move him.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -Moose said:

We never traded Marky and Tanev, we didn't resign them. Also, not resigning Marky was the correct choice 

Absolutely the right choice. Demko was either going to get a chance here in Canuck colors, or he was going to be traded to another team. 

Thank God he’s in Canuck colors

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

This is true, but short term we ain’t winning a cup. JB’s mistake was putting all the chips on the table (losing future benefit for a chance at the playoffs) when the team was not constructed to win the cup. The team needs some changes, more prospects and more cap flexibility. We seem to be 3-5 years away from being truly competitive. I’d rather wait than see perpetual mediocrity in the standings. I’ll trust what JR does (for now).

sure, you might be right. and if so, trade bo now, because he won't want to stay. same with petey. 

9 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Why are people so scared to trade talent, for more talent... It's not like your giving your best player away for nothing. We are a 7/8 team in the west at best, We may luck our way a couple rounds, But chances are an early exit. I'm a HUGE fan, But watch these top teams play games not vs the canuck so you have no bias. We will need to add soo much to this current build, It's not worth the cost of all draft picks. We need a Re-tool. Trading near expiring near UFA guys for valuable younger pieces, That will support our actual core guys when they are in their primes. 

I don't see a point treading water just to make the playoffs. We need to pull a rangers, Go all in on a quick retool. Get young players over just picks and we could remain somewhat competitive like we are now, But have all that young skilled depth when we are going for those cup runs.

Regardless what some people want, We hired rutherford, and loaded a front office with all new faces. Change will happen, Being less emotionally attached, And being run as a hockey club with the goal of winning a cup will be the new priority 

11-4-3 is our record under Boudreau. 

We just went through the top teams in the NHL while missing a lot of key players. Tampa, Fla x2, Carolina. While our record against them was dismal, I thought we carried the play in each of those games minus that Carolina game. This is while missing some key guys. It didnt accurately depict where we are as a team. What it did tell me is that I really want to play these guys with our full roster because I didn't think we were far off. We started red hot with Boudreau and won some games that could have gone either way. We then lost some games that we may have deserved a better fate. 

I think it all evens out and when's all said and done, I'm comfortable in saying that we are a 11-4-3 team. After tonight, we're gonna go through a stretch of teams that we should be able to beat on paper and our record may look even better. 

I think my true evaluation will come when we play Vegas and Colorado. 

If we can beat those teams and look good doing it, what are we waiting for? 

It means we are a Stanley Cup Finals. calibre team. 

If we look like we don't belong, then yeah, retool, rebuild etc. 

I dont think looking at a team like the Rangers mean anything. I would rather take our team over them.

If the team wasnt so terrible under TG, we would be super excited, perhaps even talking about a cup right now. 

Please throw out everything the team has done under TG and just look at them since BB took over. That is the true talent of our team. 

When looking at the team under BB, the only concern I have is special teams. Against the top teams, we win if our special teams performs well and lose if it doesn't. We are more than fine at even strength. 

BB still has half a season to sort this out before playoff starts. It might actually help that whistles go away in the playoffs

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya but they also have to take responsibility for that. If they hadn’t lost so many games then they wouldn’t be in this position. It’s on the players they are even talking about trading Miller. They didn’t do their part to keep the team together and when you lose and miss the playoffs you cant expect to keep the same team together. I find it funny when people say well Bo will be angry. Ya well then don’t play so dumpy and put the GM in a position to have to make changes. They can only blame themselves.

Or they could blame TG for his terrible coaching....

Team looks night and day different under new staff and new strategy.

Had we had BB all year, we'd be 1-2 seed in the West. 

5 hours ago, -Moose said:

they didn't not resign them, they didn't re-sign them. resign means nearly the opposite. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

sure, you might be right. and if so, trade bo now, because he won't want to stay. same with petey. 

You're making some very big assumptions in knowing their thoughts and feelings, especially after the Green/Benning debacle and how much better they are now.

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

We just went through the top teams in the NHL while missing a lot of key players. Tampa, Fla x2, Carolina. While our record against them was dismal, I thought we carried the play in each of those games minus that Carolina game. This is while missing some key guys. It didnt accurately depict where we are as a team. What it did tell me is that I really want to play these guys with our full roster because I didn't think we were far off. We started red hot with Boudreau and won some games that could have gone either way. We then lost some games that we may have deserved a better fate. 

I think it all evens out and when's all said and done, I'm comfortable in saying that we are a 11-4-3 team. After tonight, we're gonna go through a stretch of teams that we should be able to beat on paper and our record may look even better. 

I dont think looking at a team like the Rangers mean anything. I would rather take our team over them.

If the team wasnt so terrible under TG, we would be super excited, perhaps even talking about a cup right now. 

Please throw out everything the team has done under TG and just look at them since BB took over. That is the true talent of our team. 

When looking at the team under BB, the only concern I have is special teams. Against the top teams, we win if our special teams performs well and lose if it doesn't. We are more than fine at even strength. 

BB still has half a season to sort this out before playoff starts. It might actually help that whistles go away in the playoffs

Careful, I got laughed at and flamed just for saying that if we had Boudreau to start the year we'd undoubtedly be in the playoffs.

Or they could blame TG for his terrible coaching....

Team looks night and day different under new staff and new strategy.

Had we had BB all year, we'd be 1-2 seed in the West. 

You too, watch out for the flamethrowers :lol:

Our core is too young, We only have 1 star player in their prime years. Miller. Compare to any other top team. We are miles behind. I do agree bruce has been amazing and it proves we are not total dog like soo many think. But we are also not winning a cup with the current build. It's not worth it to kill any chance of a loaded run by trading the few prospects we have / picks to add to a cap strapped group. 

The positives i take away are even though we are wasting literally half the cap in bad contracts, We play pretty damn good. So if we could just do this quick little re-tool to fix these problems, We should have no problem staying on this level while we add young pieces that will push us over the top once ep / huggy /  demko are truly in prime years

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

without Miller they have to do the full rebuilt, the question is if they keep Miller, what pieces do they need to be a cup contender, IMO keep Miller, Demko, Hughes, and built around them 

Demko, Petey, Hughes are our core pieces to build around.  Young guys Pods and Hogs, and prospects and draft picks we add to.  

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

without Miller they have to do the full rebuilt, 

Not even remotely. Build around our 22/23 year old core players (who don't even enter their primes for 2+ years) with guys like Horvat as the older 'vets'.

Their window is roughly 2-7 years from now +/-. EVERYTHING management does, should be focused on making us as good, and deep as possible, for THAT window.

It's 4-6 years before Petey and Hughes are at their absolute peaks, with likely our best shot to win a cup. And folks here by want to saddle them with what will be, a 33-35 year old, declining, $9m 3C/W'er...

I get it, I love Miller the player (right now) too, but situationally, that's just bad math for making this team the contender management has stated, is their mission to build.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1