The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Evander Kane

14 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Sometimes our self righteous fans really bug me. Guy could have been a benefit to making the playoffs. 

As much as I wanna take credit for the Canucks doing and not doing stuff, unfortunately they don't much care for what my dumbass says. Lol. But I dunno. The fears attached to him were legit. I am not gonna use my hindsight glasses and torch others that didn't wanna take a shot on a guy with that much baggage. We also knew he was gonna put up numbers there though, I was confident he'd get goals easily off playing with the 2 best centers in the league. But yes, in hindsight I was wrong that he wouldn't be an asset, at least for this season. He has to behave to get his next contract.

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Of all the things to grind someone's gears, you choose people who hold integrity over winning a game? Huh.

seriously. I don't care if the team wins if I can't bring myself to cheer them on. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Sometimes our self righteous fans really bug me. Guy could have been a benefit to making the playoffs. 

You’re talking about a population who demanded No Logo be the line between them, and an International gathering of the World’s best athletes. 

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Historically, Integrity does not win a Cup.. and quite frankly dosent matter.

That’s a slippery slope you’re going on.

I don’t know…that can be getting into the CHI / Kyle Beach territory.  Turn a blind eye to such things cuz winning the cup is all that matters.

:mellow:

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, tas said:

seriously. I don't care if the team wins if I can't bring myself to cheer them on. 

Man this is how I feel. I love the Canucks, they have been part of my life since I was born, but at the end of the day it's just a game. I have zero intention on cheering for a team I can't respect though.

28 minutes ago, BPA said:

I don’t know…that can be getting into the CHI / Kyle Beach territory.  Turn a blind eye to such things cuz winning the cup is all that matters.

BOOM, THIS! Yes the situation is different, but at the end of the day it's the same justification. The screw integrity and human respect as long as we win crowd can do whatever they want, to be actively annoyed by those of us who would rather keep that sort of controversy as far away from our young players as possible is asinine.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

F off .   We can all find extra examples to try and make there opinion qualify with substance..  

Did E Kane go to court for murder?

I find your straw man comparison outrageous  and maligning.. which is what a lot of the rhetoric is around this player.

It keeps getting bigger and bigger by comparison.

nice one.  Your a Winner.

Gold!

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

As much as I wanna take credit for the Canucks doing and not doing stuff, unfortunately they don't much care for what my dumbass says. Lol. But I dunno. The fears attached to him were legit. I am not gonna use my hindsight glasses and torch others that didn't wanna take a shot on a guy with that much baggage. We also knew he was gonna put up numbers there though, I was confident he'd get goals easily off playing with the 2 best centers in the league. But yes, in hindsight I was wrong that he wouldn't be an asset, at least for this season. He has to behave to get his next contract.

Well I guess I'm alone in the I told you so department for a bunch of fans drooling over one point here one point there, which is where we are at now. 

I dunno I get fed up with the moral politics sometimes. I wanted to win. Not kick the ugliest kid on the bus. 

Boudreau could have worked with him. 

Boudreau is a pro. 

He was a free asset fsks

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well I guess I'm alone in the I told you so department for a bunch of fans drooling over one point here one point there, which is where we are at now. 

I dunno I get fed up with the moral politics sometimes. I wanted to win. Not kick the ugliest kid on the bus. 

Boudreau could have worked with him. 

Boudreau is a pro. 

He was a free asset fsks

Guy has produced at a 70 point pace for the last couple seasons. I was very much pro Kane on the team. At what he was being offered by teams he’d be one of the better value contracts in the league. Guy who plays big and gives you production like that for 2.1 million a year there’s not many contracts as good as that. At some point you’d hope he’d feel like he’s on his last chance and smarten up. All things added together I felt like the one year risk was worth it. If he continued to suck as a person just waive him for the minors it was only a one year deal.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, BPA said:

I’m not saying I condone it,.  Im stating a fact.

.. there is a difference.

Kanes “issues” are minuscule compared to others in the league.

The “end of the world” mentality around this player is ridiculous.

.. now someone trying to get me to explain How OJ Simpson would compare ?!? 
Freak show.

Hes got 2 - 3 more good years ahead of him,.  I wish him the best. 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Guy has produced at a 70 point pace for the last couple seasons. I was very much pro Kane on the team. At what he was being offered by teams he’d be one of the better value contracts in the league. Guy who plays big and gives you production like that for 2.1 million a year there’s not many contracts as good as that. At some point you’d hope he’d feel like he’s on his last chance and smarten up. All things added together I felt like the one year risk was worth it. If he continued to suck as a person just waive him for the minors it was only a one year deal.

That’s exactly how I felt about this.

Most others have a “choir boy” mentality.

They want to see young roses red cheeked boys , nicely combed hair, putting on the clothes their mothers put out in the morning.

keep that sort of controversy as far away from our young players apossible 

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Freak show.

They want to see young roses red cheeked boys , nicely combed hair, putting on the clothes their mothers put out in the morning.

To be fair…

I was willing to accept Kane at league minimum at the time.  All the stuff about Kane speaks of character issues.  I was a bit concerned it would have affected the locker room as it supposedly happened in SJ.  But I think at the time, Canucks pretty much hit rock bottom.  So if it didn’t work out, he could’ve been easily waived.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

To be fair…

I was willing to accept Kane at league minimum at the time.  All the stuff about Kane speaks of character issues.  I was a bit concerned it would have affected the locker room as it supposedly happened in SJ.  But I think at the time, Canucks pretty much hit rock bottom.  So if it didn’t work out, he could’ve been easily waived.

There’s an underlying element that came out in the San Jose press,.  So , for arguments case,. I’ll call it rumour .

Apparently Hertyl was specifically the one who went to management to complain about Kane ,.  Although Kane was trying to keep his personal affairs ( bad marriage) private,. Hertyl apparently claimed it, and allegations surrounding Kane were upsetting the dressing room.

In fact Kane had been performing Hertyl, and Hertyl was going into his UFA year, hoping to negotiate an term related 8m figure contract.

How was Hertyl going to get 8m when Kane was out performing him at 7m ?

.. and where was that money going to come from?    
This season, Hertyl signed his extension..

8.175m x 8years starting the 22-23 season.… some things make you go hmmm? Lol

I genuinely think Kane is a good person, I like to think every one is..

Life,.  And some poor decisions can upset that.   

Kane has been away from home since he was 15 years old,. Then drafted high, playing in Atlanta as an 18-19 year old, no time in the minors.  .. and no mentors there, or Winnipeg, or Buffalo.

Its easy to be led astray in your early 20’s.

Im not making  excuses,  I just try to look at the whole picture in situations like his, try to understand an underlying cause ..  it could be any body..     Are we not all guilty of temptation at some point in our lives?

.. sometimes it’s a challenge, .. sometimes opening a door that is harder to close.

sometimes we forget how young these players actually are, and the expectations are enormous.

I hope he continues to play strong..  and I hope things are finally settling in his personal life.

58 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

There’s an underlying element that came out in the San Jose press,.  So , for arguments case,. I’ll call it rumour .

Apparently Hertyl was specifically the one who went to management to complain about Kane ,.  Although Kane was trying to keep his personal affairs ( bad marriage) private,. Hertyl apparently claimed it, and allegations surrounding Kane were upsetting the dressing room.

In fact Kane had been performing Hertyl, and Hertyl was going into his UFA year, hoping to negotiate an term related 8m figure contract.

How was Hertyl going to get 8m when Kane was out performing him at 7m ?

.. and where was that money going to come from?    
This season, Hertyl signed his extension..

8.175m x 8years starting the 22-23 season.… some things make you go hmmm? Lol

I genuinely think Kane is a good person, I like to think every one is..

Life,.  And some poor decisions can upset that.   

Kane has been away from home since he was 15 years old,. Then drafted high, playing in Atlanta as an 18-19 year old, no time in the minors.  .. and no mentors there, or Winnipeg, or Buffalo.

Its easy to be led astray in your early 20’s.

Im not making  excuses,  I just try to look at the whole picture in situations like his, try to understand an underlying cause ..  it could be any body..     Are we not all guilty of temptation at some point in our lives?

.. sometimes it’s a challenge, .. sometimes opening a door that is harder to close.

sometimes we forget how young these players actually are, and the expectations are enormous.

I hope he continues to play strong..  and I hope things are finally settling in his personal life.

Cool. Got anything on Virtanen?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

Cool. Got anything on Virtanen?

Bahaha. I ignored this poster a while back, but in this post I just saw them say "genuinely think Kane is a good person". That is absolutely historical to me. Could you imagine the mental gymnastics required when nearly every report from journalist, hockey execs, other hockey players, the legal system, and teammates of a guy all pretty much say he's a little rough around the edges to say the least, but then some guy on the internet who has never met him knows better. That is hockey forum comedy gold.

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Bahaha. I ignored this poster a while back, but in this post I just saw them say "genuinely think Kane is a good person". That is absolutely historical to me. Could you imagine the mental gymnastics required when nearly every report from journalist, hockey execs, other hockey players, the legal system, and teammates of a guy all pretty much say he's a little rough around the edges to say the least, but then some guy on the internet who has never met him knows better. That is hockey forum comedy gold.

Not to mention there's a poster here who's had to deal with him and confirmed he was a douchenozzle.

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Freak show.

And quite frankly I hate it when people state their opinions as facts.

It's great that you have these opinions, but please stop claiming they're facts. They're not. They're your opinions. A fact is something that actually happened, a statistic; something that can be fact-checked without any intangibles getting in the way.

Kane's issues are intangible. My opinion is that Kane has had locker room issues based on what I've read and heard. Your opinion is that he hasn't had those issues. NEITHER CASE is a fact. We also don't know if he would have done well here or not. That's going to also be based on opinion, not fact. The fact would be his statistics in Edmonton, or events that have previously happened with Kane. Our interpretation of those facts and what those facts mean are our opinions.

Don't get me wrong. It's great you have opinions and I'm totally on board with you presenting those opinions, but as soon as you start claiming those opinions are facts is the moment I'm going to treat you like you don't know what you're talking about because you don't even know what a fact is at that point. ;) Your first sentince above is 100% incorrect because it's not a fact, it's your opinion. Just something to think about.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And quite frankly I hate it when people state their opinions as facts.

It's great that you have these opinions, but please stop claiming they're facts. They're not. They're your opinions. A fact is something that actually happened, a statistic. Something that can be fact-checked.

Kane's issues are intangible. My opinion is that Kane has had locker room issues based on what I've read and heard. Your opinion is that he hasn't had those issues. NEITHER CASE is a fact. We also don't know if he would have done well here or not. That's going to also be based on opinion, not fact. The fact would be his statistics in Edmonton, or events that have previously happened with Kane. Our interpretation of those facts are our opinions.

Don't get me wrong. It's great you have opinions and I'm totally on board with you presenting those opinions, but as soon as you start claiming those opinions are facts is the moment I'm going to treat you like you don't know what you're talking about. ;) Just something to think about.

You misinterpreted Lock, 

The “fact” is in my quote previous to that:

The “fact” is :

“ Historically the NHL has players who have continued to play the game after being convicted as criminals “.

Do you understand?

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not to mention there's a poster here who's had to deal with him and confirmed he was a douchenozzle.

Yup. Though, I will actually call myself out on something here. Years back we had a few posters come forward and say Virtanen was a pos. I ignored those claims because at the time he was my underdog guy, and I defended him hard. So I have experienced times when bias can cloud judgement.

That being said, I learned my lesson and I wouldn't do that again.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

You misinterpreted Lock, 

The “fact” is in my quote previous to that:

The “fact” is :

“ Historically the NHL has players who have continued to play the game after being convicted as criminals “.

Do you understand?

I'm trying to find where you said this exact sentence in previous posts. Can you link it?