The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Evander Kane

On 4/28/2022 at 6:52 PM, Coconuts said:

Oil wanna dump more cap into their forward group, who could have guessed

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2348321/report-oilers-rangers-to-push-hard-to-bring-back-kane-copp

This dosent surprise me,.   I’m sure His Agent Milstein will be getting a few calls from other teams.

personally I think this last leg of Kanes Career has him wanting to be “somewhere”  over the amount of money offered.. 

the more interesting thing is going to be how his wrongfully terminated contract is going to be handled.

The NHL should be held accountable as well ,

in more than wrongful to the player,.  But also wrongful and unfair in the sense that it cleared 7m in capspace for the Sharks to immediately sign Hertyl to an 8.2m x 8yr within 2 months of Kanes termination.

I think a lot of owners and GMs need to tell Bettman and Daley what they think about them.

I would re-sign Kane if it was a shorter term with a reasonable cap hit. Maybe 2 or 3 years.

It does seem, with the other teams, he seems to fit well with the team but wears out his welcome quite quickly. I think a 2-3 year contract for Kane isn't bad since it will also be quite tradeable. But going much longer, I would let him walk. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I would re-sign Kane if it was a shorter term with a reasonable cap hit. Maybe 2 or 3 years.

It does seem, with the other teams, he seems to fit well with the team but wears out his welcome quite quickly. I think a 2-3 year contract for Kane isn't bad since it will also be quite tradeable. But going much longer, I would let him walk. 

He’s going to want more term than that, since this would be his last contract essentially. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

He’s going to want more term than that, since this would be his last contract essentially. 

then Oilers would have to let him walk. 

I think Kane could work long term if it was with Pit, Tampa, or St. Louis. A team with a strong veteran leadership core.

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

This dosent surprise me,.   I’m sure His Agent Milstein will be getting a few calls from other teams.

personally I think this last leg of Kanes Career has him wanting to be “somewhere”  over the amount of money offered.. 

the more interesting thing is going to be how his wrongfully terminated contract is going to be handled.

The NHL should be held accountable as well ,

in more than wrongful to the player,.  But also wrongful and unfair in the sense that it cleared 7m in capspace for the Sharks to immediately sign Hertyl to an 8.2m x 8yr within 2 months of Kanes termination.

I think a lot of owners and GMs need to tell Bettman and Daley what they think about them.

Yeah, I still don't know what to make of the San Jose bit but clearly they've been backed by the league and they went and approved the Hertl contract. Kane appears to be a bit of a pariah, but clearly the league's allowed him to go elsewhere and play. Maybe there's a settlement of sorts, he'll likely get paid a sum somehow, but I don't see the Sharks being punished in any form.  

I do think Kane will land elsewhere, and he'll probably be paid well. He's done enough to get that for himself and issues or not someone will take him if he can work on holding his $&!# together. I do think those who've got concerns regarding his history have a leg to stand on, but I also don't think his past necessarily has to dictate how his future plays out. How much leash he gets is up to him. 

As for the NHL being held accountable, I don't see a billion dollar league suffering because of a multi-million dollar player. They'll go through he legal loopholes and Kane likely gets paid to an extent, maybe everything he was supposed to earn even, but I don't imagine the league will get a whole lot of blowback over it. 

As for other GM's and owners, dunno, there are several billionaires involved but that hasn't ever made for a level playing field. If that were the case we wouldn't have been hit with Luongo's recapture retroactively. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

On 4/25/2022 at 3:32 AM, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

A little bird told me Connor is the Loser!

A little bird (McDavid’s reaction) told me that Kane is already completely insufferable in Oilersland.

I don’t think he re-signs.

And frankly, I don’t want our team to suffer from a Narcisistic manipulator like Kane. They should be busy winning games.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

If its a battle of alberta next round, I could see Kane switching teams and signing with cowgary. They are going to lose little johnny 

Don’t see them losing Johnny hockey. They’ll find a way to pay both him and Tkachuk. It may come at the expense of paying a team like Arizona to take on the last year of Sean Monahan but they’ll find a way to keep both guys.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Don’t see them losing Johnny hockey. They’ll find a way to pay both him and Tkachuk. It may come at the expense of paying a team like Arizona to take on the last year of Sean Monahan but they’ll find a way to keep both guys.

Yes if they can get rid of Monahan then they are left with over $33 million in cap space.  Which is more than enough to re-sign little Johnny, Tkachuk and Mangiapane plus add a few more warm bodies to fill out the roster.  Zadorov will be gone however...

On 5/15/2022 at 11:04 AM, Me_ said:

A little bird (McDavid’s reaction) told me that Kane is already completely insufferable in Oilersland.

I don’t think he re-signs.

And frankly, I don’t want our team to suffer from a Narcisistic manipulator like Kane. They should be busy winning games.

No let’s get him

• Like 1

I find it hilarious that two Vancouver boys who brought this town to its feet as Memorial Cup Champions , and have been exceptional hockey players in the NHL,  are hated on these boards so much..…. 

and the one player, from Vancouver,  they were happy to get, as a promising NHL’r

turned out to be a POS.

:ph34r:

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I find it hilarious that two Vancouver boys who brought this town to its feet as Memorial Cup Champions , and have been exceptional hockey players in the NHL,  are hated on these boards so much..…. 

and the one player, from Vancouver,  they were happy to get, as a promising NHL’r

turned out to be a POS.

:ph34r:

Cause they aren't very nice fellas.

I had EK in one of the nightclubs I managed. Not a nice fella, plus he has seemed to act like a dummy off ice in general.

Looch though, I don't hate him but he's one of those guys...on your team and you're happy to have nuclear deterrent. When he is on the opposition, he can be hell.

In retrospect, him over EL when we were bidding but they both ended up being over paid for what they now contribute. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Funny how this deal right now is moving EDM along .... Evander Kane and Duncan Keith, two guys we love to hate or beat on (and moves that we criticized Holland for making)...are at least for now ahead vs CAL who was one of the favourites heading into the playoffs (and rightly so - CAL doesn't have any weaknesses and arguably the team best built for the playoffs - both in depth and size/toughness)....

Evander Kane was EDM answer to making the best of an oppurtunity, even though it was for sure one that came with nuclear radiation given Kane's past. 

Sure last night was his best game - but all he's done is score goals, make plays and add a deadly element to that line that it didn't have before.   And with Hyman plus RNH, they aren't a one trick pony anymore.    And Keith .... i've always thought Bouchard was a stud of a pick - and wow look at him now.   Learning from one of the best of his era, piling up the points, and learning how to become a better, more complete defender.    EDM window looks pretty decent right now.   Vancouver is going to have to make some pretty savy trades or draft way above our draft slot to compete with these guys the next couple of seasons.   

• Huggy Bear 1

On 5/18/2022 at 8:11 PM, bishopshodan said:

Cause they aren't very nice fellas.

I had EK in one of the nightclubs I managed. Not a nice fella, plus he has seemed to act like a dummy off ice in general.

Looch though, I don't hate him but he's one of those guys...on your team and you're happy to have nuclear deterrent. When he is on the opposition, he can be hell.

In retrospect, him over EL when we were bidding but they both ended up being over paid for what they now contribute. 

Lucic of course comes with history against our best team...Hamhuis hip check was one of the best hits last decade ... but it hurt him.   Wasn't a big fan of him back then anyways because he'd rarely fight an actual enforcer (and they still existed)... but was happy to pound away on lesser fighters.   Prout isn't a real enforcer, but managed fine - and of course i think it was Orr who he dropped with early in his career after beating a bunch of chumps - and when he started to lose called the refs in like a baby ... to me that is a bully move - beat up smaller or non or rarely fight guys - then fight someone around your size, start losing and cry for mommy.   Should have taken his medicine.   Aside from that absolutely i'd have rather had Lucic then LE and said so many times back then.   Has the Vancouver connection.   I'm warming up to the idea of taking a shot at Evander Kane.    No rumblings of any issues in EDM with him on the team.   Must be on his best behaviour.   Don't think the timing is quite right - but a 2-3 year deal at around 5 would be just fine.  

Edit:  Now there really are only a couple guys in the entire league that could square off with Lucic and manage fine.    That's both sad and really tough to understand as a long time hockey fan.   Used to be kids would do anything to make the NHL - maybe it's a good thing that pressure is gone.    Fighting is allowed for a reason, and makes the game one of the most entertaining sports in the world.   Linesman do a great job of protecting the players.   Not like the old days where they stand back and wait for the guys to tire out, first good shot they come in and break it up.    I'm not sure id be interested if that is ever taken out of the sport.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

10 goals in 10 playoff games.

Seriously that could have been us.Replace Dickinson with KANE. We likely make the playthis year.

McDavid was actually the smart one here, lobbying for their management to add Kane. BTW did you see Kane antagonizing Tchuk! We have never had anyone match up against Tcuk before. 

• Vintage 1

One of my buddies is a marshall at Fraserview.  He has plenty of stories of Kane behaving like an entitled prick on the course.  They dread the days when he shows up to play golf because there are always problems.  Just no.  The guy is no end of trouble and he has proved it over and over on multiple teams.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

One of my buddies is a marshall at Fraserview.  He has plenty of stories of Kane behaving like an entitled prick on the course.  They dread the days when he shows up to play golf because there are always problems.  Just no.  The guy is no end of trouble and he has proved it over and over on multiple teams.

they're not running a seminary