The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

42 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

would YOU want to be the #1 goalie in that tire fire that is Edmonton?

they have a mediocre defence and forwards that DON'T play defence.

If I was him, I'd demand that it be at least a team with a chance to win in the playoffs, or in Florida ( no taxes )

No doubt.  

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

It doesn't take a high schooler to do the arithmetic - the cap isn't going up but UFAs are still getting their legacy deals, and RFAs are still getting massive second deals.    

Interesting point you brought up. 

I agree that RFAs are getting paid big bucks already, but since everyone is up against the cap the squeeze has to happen somewhere and I would argue that the older veteran UFAs have already been feeling the squeeze for a few years. 

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

What has become of the Winnipeg Jets? There is really something serious going on, in a bad way! Lots of talent, youth, speed, but.....

They miss Kane (lol).

It is Winterpeg; nobody really wants to be there.

I'd take Lowry off them for our playoff runs...

Get them some youth and picks for the future (lol).

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Halak has to waive and he's already been brought a deal from EDM that he turned down.   So nope we wont see that.   Think Martin is safe from waivers coming up via the taxi squad ... 

Ya I was wondering about Martin's waiver status after the game last night.. hes ufa at end of season..he'd get picked up on the waiver wire for sure.. 

Thanks for posting this info..

7 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

What a trade to bring Martin in. Is there any credit being given ? The sample size is small so far, but if he turns into a legitimate NHL goalie that is a deal worthy of some commendation. 

Yeah but look at what JB gave up:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired goaltender Spencer Martin from the Tampa Bay Lightning for future considerations. 

Martin, 26, appeared in 15 games for the AHL's Syracuse Crunch last season, posting a 7-5-2 record along with a 2.83 goals-against average and a .907 save percentage. The 6'3", 191-pound netminder has played in three career NHL games with the Avalanche. In 173 career AHL games, Martin has posted a record of 68-76-9. 

The Oakville, Ontario, native was originally selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the third round, 63rd overall in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.  

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Debluvscanucks has all our balls in a vice for suggesting we trade him.   And that's tough because, well i don't think there are many folks on this site i'd rather watch a game with.   I'm starting to change my mind, but still think one spot isn't worth what we could be giving up - and hope we claw our way back, on his back really, and then go on a run that we can talk about for years after...

Miller is the type of guy you want to go into a foxhole with.  Same with Motte and Myers but he'd better keep his head down - easy target or at least gets something for that neck.   The best possible scenario is this JB team actually is pretty darn good - and with some support we make the playoffs and show that we belong.   Not many teams in our history have made it through the first round other then Linden ones.   Guys like this do not grow on trees.    He's not as skilled as the best in the league - a lot like Linden, but he's got that fire and it factor that all teams need to win a cup.   Why not us?   Playoff hero's are the bomb.    A cup is awesome and what the ultimate goal is.    Green got the team believing they could do it .... what can Bruce manage?  

Good post Batch. When was the last time this org had the talent to have a debate about who should be moved for the most benefit? When Miller skated out last night and retrieved the puck for Martin it capped what this guy is all about. Top notch character and a real talent. I thought the same about Tanev and Marky. 

Trade him or keep him? As fans we don't know what deals are being offered. If JR moves Miller it has to be a really good deal. Failing that and based on whether he wants to resign then Miller has to resign or he has to be traded. I would keep Miller over Boeser but the return for Brock will be much less. I still think the d-side needs help. The goal tending makes the d-core look better than it is. Regular season versus playoffs requires bigger more physical players. JR makes the big money to make these decisions. I wish him luck. Wouldn't be surprised if Boeser goes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

What has become of the Winnipeg Jets? There is really something serious going on, in a bad way! Lots of talent, youth, speed, but.....

Could be the coach and the system. Lowry was an assistant under Maurice so the system and the habits are probably the same.

Sometime you just need a fresh voice and approach.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely and that's the crux.   Exactly.   

My gut is saying no - my heart says let's wait and see and give them a chance.   Twice i've been excited for the future as in seeing a cup coming our way given the players we've already got.   Getting Mogilny and getting Luongo.    Messier ruined the first time.    Luongo absolutely came through for us - so many amazing saves and games for us.   I don't have that little tickle with this team yet.   Feel we need a Garth Butcher like trade to push us over the top.    Maybe i'm wrong.   It's a tough place to be.   Bruce has us playing well enough, so don't change a thing yet.  

Had we still be bungling our way through it all, the answer would be straight forward, and the way we were looking under Green, nobody would have battered an eyelid if JR sold anyone in the building including Fin... But now.... He will be on a loser from the star, should he make some tough choices, and the players brought in didn't live up to expectations... The 1st mentioned plenty of times will, hopefully for Rangers and their fans be pick no, 32.... so although it's a first, the players coming back in the trade have to have some serious value, and not just maybe top prospects... If not, we may as well run with the horses at our disposal...

I'm not going to say which prospects or players we should target or get back, as I'm not smart enough to do so... This is what the management of the Canucks gets paid to do. But lets not kid our selves, if the team goes on a run the next 5-7 games and gets into the hunt for a playoffs berth, there will be real anger amongst some of the fans , if Miller gets sold to the highest bidder... For starters Deb has already invited anyone wanting to trade Miller to dance.... :)

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Good post Batch. When was the last time this org had the talent to have a debate about who should be moved for the most benefit? When Miller skated out last night and retrieved the puck for Martin it capped what this guy is all about. Top notch character and a real talent. I thought the same about Tanev and Marky. 

Trade him or keep him? As fans we don't know what deals are being offered. If JR moves Miller it has to be a really good deal. Failing that and based on whether he wants to resign then Miller has to resign or he has to be traded. I would keep Miller over Boeser but the return for Brock will be much less. I still think the d-side needs help. The goal tending makes the d-core look better than it is. Regular season versus playoffs requires bigger more physical players. JR makes the big money to make these decisions. I wish him luck. Wouldn't be surprised if Boeser goes. 

At this point, I'm happy if we either re-sign Miller or trade him. Anything to avoid that third scenario: let him walk to UFA like Tanev and Marky (although in Marky's case, it was the only path available).

I would also consider trading Boeser. But if Miller stays, Miller can help make use of Boeser's skillset on a line that dominates the board and sets up the sniper in the slot. When Boeser plays with Miller as his center, he will score goals and put up points. That makes him a good deal at around 6 mil but not desirable if he wants over 7 mil.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah but look at what JB gave up:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired goaltender Spencer Martin from the Tampa Bay Lightning for future considerations. 

Martin, 26, appeared in 15 games for the AHL's Syracuse Crunch last season, posting a 7-5-2 record along with a 2.83 goals-against average and a .907 save percentage. The 6'3", 191-pound netminder has played in three career NHL games with the Avalanche. In 173 career AHL games, Martin has posted a record of 68-76-9. 

The Oakville, Ontario, native was originally selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the third round, 63rd overall in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.  

I think the standard practice with future considerations is for neither side to ever speak of it again, but in this case I could see Tampa being like, " Yeah, about those future considerations...".

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

Can someone answer me this question: the current single game tickets that are still being sold off the Canucks site for the home games in February, are those tickets that you can buy already under the 50% capacity threshold? Or would they be potentially over that, meaning if you buy them, you could likely be told you can’t attend that game because it already has 50% seats sold from earlier?