The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

Well we need cap space but no way should we ever move down to get some.

I'd rather do a buyout then give up picks, BB or Garland.

Myers will be gone soon enough,plus Beau at this point like Myers last year so trade them first or tdl.We can get money to resign EP and Hronek with Beau and Myers money.

One trade for either BB or Garland plus Beau and Myers out we are golden.

We have 3 to 5 young guys coming this year or next that will be cheap so let's roll.

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

To NSH:

11th overall

Connor Garland

To Van:

15th overall

Dante Fabbro 

3 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

Or Foote instead of Fabbro ?  (saves even more cap space)

You're both wrong... Trenin + Prokop please

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Everyone still saying Garland has negative value.

meanwhile other teams fans think otherwise and are gobsmacked by this and think that Garlands negative value stems from the team the media and the fans:  https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/garland-is-a-free-asset-teams-want-assets-to-take-him.2931245/

Garland is worth his Cap hit. Rather them keep him and let’s just roll with the same lineup; added Hronek, uninjured OEL, uninjured Dem and uninjured Mik

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Everyone still saying Garland has negative value.

meanwhile other teams fans think otherwise and are gobsmacked by this and think that Garlands negative value stems from the team the media and the fans:  https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/garland-is-a-free-asset-teams-want-assets-to-take-him.2931245/

Not only that but I would gladly keep him over Beauvillier too. 

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Garland is worth his Cap hit. Rather them keep him and let’s just roll with the same lineup; added Hronek, uninjured OEL, uninjured Dem and uninjured Mik

Get the strong feeling with the buyout window opening we're gonna see some absolutely dumb stuff happening with this team involving buyouts or traded players with sweeteners instead of just trying to get through this last year of issues.  The more things change they more they stay the Louis Player Name

• elephant 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Get the strong feeling with the buyout window opening we're gonna see some absolutely dumb stuff happening with this team involving buyouts or traded players with sweeteners instead of just trying to get through this last year of issues.  The more things change they more they stay the Louis Player Name

Let’s hope not. I have faith we can make the playoffs without any further moves based on what I just said plus this new coaching style 

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Man I like Beau as well…

One of them has to go and Beauvillier is far more expendable for us. I like him too but with our winger log jam he is kinda redundant. 

Edited by canuck73_3

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is the year to take advantage though.  When the cap goes up so do salaries.  

Minnesota completely cap strapped and the more reasonable approach would have been to go bridge with Boldy, but instead they went long term because the hope is that as the cap goes up his contract becomes more and more of a bargain which is going to be an advantage in future years.  Same reflection in Montreal on why they wanted to get Caufield signed long term.  It's really this off-season to get players signed to reasonable deals and then benefit from it in future years when the cap goes up. 

Also when everyone has cap space there are often more teams competing for the same players and deals go up.  With limited cap around the league, less teams can make moves.  Teams with cap space could be kings this off-season if they play their cards well.

Last year CBJ had to clear cap space.  Kekaleinen explained that if he had waited they would have likely had to pay to move Bjorkstrand because there's so little cap space around.  Bjorkstrand probably not the player they wanted to move - Nyquist same cap hit and upcoming UFA.  Not only the return was pitiful but he had to move someone they would have probably preferred to retain.  

Plenty of teams are now in the CBJ situation where they need to make room if they wish to make moves.  The cap space league wide is more dire this year than it was last year and unless they find a way to increase the cap by more than 1M it could be challenging for some teams to improve.  

Buying out OEL seems counter-intuitive because of the dead cap but could they still come out ahead?   If they can get someone that could be part of their window for a long time and on a reasonable deal because they would be 1 of a few teams with cap space and can go after players that wouldn't otherwise be available.

OEL is a 7.2M cap hit but if he's in the pressbox it's 7.2M that's not helping the team.  The buyout cap hit past this season is ugly but it still opens up room (as still lower than his 7.2M cap hit) if they feel OEL can no longer assume a top-4 role.  No idea if they put his poor season solely on his injury or if they are concerned going forward and obviously no idea whether they even consider buying him out.  

It also doesn't sound like Pettersson's extension will be a 1 July signing.  Pastrnak didn't want to extend for 1 July and wanted to see where Boston was heading - also has Pat Brisson as his agent.  Not sure the team is good enough as constructed to make the playoffs and it could have a domino effect if they don't make it.  The division doesn't look to be getting any easier either.

23 minutes ago, mll said:

OEL is a 7.2M cap hit but if he's in the pressbox it's 7.2M that's not helping the team.  

Pressbox?!? 

Please do explain, are you suggesting that OEL would fall down to 7th dman? If so, that one of the least likely takes I've read in a long time. 

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Pressbox?!? 

Please do explain, are you suggesting that OEL would fall down to 7th dman? If so, that one of the least likely takes I've read in a long time. 

He still plays over 20 minutes per game - probably dropp down to 16-18 before the press box

• Cheers 1

Just now, canucklehead44 said:

He still plays over 20 minutes per game - probably dropp down to 16-18 before the press box

OEL playing 15 to 17min a night will likely mean a much more effective OEL.  I think he's just not able to play the big minutes anymore.  We need to find a big defensive LHD that can play big minutes next to Hronek.  Then have Hughes take all the offensive responsibilities, and OEL anchor the 3rd pair.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

OEL playing 15 to 17min a night will likely mean a much more effective OEL.  I think he's just not able to play the big minutes anymore.  We need to find a big defensive LHD that can play big minutes next to Hronek.  Then have Hughes take all the offensive responsibilities, and OEL anchor the 3rd pair.

He was coming off a broken foot. Played against the other teams top lines. Playing PK and PP. 

This idea that OEL is somehow not good enough for our top 4 is just way off. 

He's going to come back strong this year as long as he stays healthy. 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hronek is a big special teams guy though, likely 6-7 minutes between PP and PK. OEL might get 2nd on either the PP or PK but I'd expect at least 5 minutes difference. Plus Hronek could always double shift with Hughes. 

• Cheers 1