The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

Some decent names this Ufa year.

Gotta wonder if Jimmy has his eye on a couple and that's why he is so desperate to shed cap.

Some targets:

Malkin (obviously knows the player well) 

Pk subban ( we need help on the right side and he likely goes for a decent deal this time)

Max domi (fits what Jim wants, fast skilled and uses his body. Also use to play with horvat)

Letang (like malkin knows him well. Letang was also bourdon's best friend so maybe he would like a year here to honor his friend)

Bryan rust ( Jimmy knows him well.) 

2 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Gotta wonder if Jimmy has his eye on a couple and that's why he is so desperate to shed cap.

Some targets:

Pk subban ( we need help on the right side and he likely goes for a decent deal this time)

Max domi (fits what Jim wants, fast skilled and uses his body. Also use to play with horvat)

Letang (like malkin knows him well. Letang was also bourdon's best friend so maybe he would like a year here to honor his friend)

We should not be big game hunting UFA's this year.

Assuming we move Miller, we should target a Paul/Tierney/Sturm at 3C and maybe kick tires on the defense oriented, PK'ing 3LD we should have found this past summer.

Much beyond that, we should only be looking at college and Euro free agents. Save cap space and wait for opportunities.

Edited by aGENT

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Got a feeling we may see a Conor Garland trade:

Either:

1. to BOS for Jake DeBrusk+

2. to NJ for Pavel Zacha+

man I hope you're wrong on #1. DeBrusk is another Baertschi type mistake waiting to happen.

I like the idea of Zacha more, just not sure what we'd really be getting, but he seems to have 20 goal potential and good size if he wants to use it. 

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

man I hope you're wrong on #1. DeBrusk is another Baertschi type mistake waiting to happen.

I like the idea of Zacha more, just not sure what we'd really be getting, but he seems to have 20 goal potential and good size if he wants to use it. 

I think NJD and fans have been waiting for Zacha to become that guy for a long time now.  It looked like Zacha had finally got there last year but he's been quite underwhelming again this year.  Between Debrusk and Zacha then I think there's no question that Zacha would be preferred, but I would still prefer Garland over both of them unless there are other significant pieces coming back.

Garland strikes me as the kind of player that will be a successful play driver if you can insulate him with skill and size that compliments his skillset.  Despite being small, Garland is one of the most tenacious and skilled forwards the Canucks have, and he's got good foot speed.  The Canucks don't really have forwards that compliment Garland's style well.  Ironically, Zacha might not be a bad option to play with Garland. 

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think NJD and fans have been waiting for Zacha to become that guy for a long time now.  It looked like Zacha had finally got there last year but he's been quite underwhelming again this year.  Between Debrusk and Zacha then I think there's no question that Zacha would be preferred, but I would still prefer Garland over both of them unless there are other significant pieces coming back.

Garland strikes me as the kind of player that will be a successful play driver if you can insulate him with skill and size that compliments his skillset.  Despite being small, Garland is one of the most tenacious and skilled forwards the Canucks have, and he's got good foot speed.  The Canucks don't really have forwards that compliment Garland's style well.  Ironically, Zacha might not be a bad option to play with Garland. 

I'd rather keep Garland too, and Miller and Boeser. Thats why I'd be OK even if we ended up having to pay a little bit (e.g., late round pick) to move guys like Pearson, Dickie, Halak and Poolman to create the cap to keep our best players. 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Either:

24 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Those better be some massive +'s

No kidding... those +s better be:

BOS:  Lysell and a 1st

NJ:  Mercer and a 2nd

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd rather keep Garland too, and Miller and Boeser. Thats why I'd be OK even if we ended up having to pay a little bit (e.g., late round pick) to move guys like Pearson, Dickie, Halak and Poolman to create the cap to keep our best players. 

Do you really think they're going to get what they need by move Pearson, Dickinson, poolman etc?  

The issues that need to addressed are much bigger than those guys

I think if you intend to shop Boeser and or Miller for futures returns you should keep Garland. He’s been getting a tough assignment playing with Pearson and Dickinson. If he was playing in a top 6 role with our better players on a more consistent basis he’d be producing much better numbers. Like he was when the season started. I think we should hold onto Garland for another year or two no rush with all that term left. He could up his ppg and we’d be talking about a trade package twice as big as the one everybody wants now.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do you really think they're going to get what they need by move Pearson, Dickinson, poolman etc?  

The issues that need to addressed are much bigger than those guys

I want the cap space for more efficient player contracts. We can't afford Benning's overpayments moving forward, imo.

But yes its only one part of the solution. Ultimately we might need to move one of Miller, Brock or Garland but I'd like to see that once we've cleared as much cap as possible too from our least efficient players. 

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I want the cap space for more efficient player contracts. We can't afford Benning's overpayments moving forward, imo.

But yes its only one part of the solution. Ultimately we might need to move one of Miller, Brock or Garland but I'd like to see that once we've cleared as much cap as possible too from our least efficient players. 

I'd hope Allvin and Rutherford are exploring to move out Poolman, Dickinson and Pearson before moving Garland or Brock.

• Vintage 2

45 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Either:

Just curious.... how is DeBrusk an upgrade or a better fit over Garland now?? Boston will have to take on another contract like Pearson's from us to make that happen!

Garland is a fan fav already... so much heart... and he maybe making a bit much for his current production rate but he's got so many intangibles that help this team... 

I would only wanna see him traded if the return is a big tough power forward who's got some decent offensive skills!! 

• Vintage 1

Lots of people seem to dislike DeBrusk. Sure, he's been pretty poor the last two years, it's not working out well for him in BOS and he's probably not getting much ice time or PP. He could be a 20-goal scorer on the Canucks though, maybe in a bigger role? One of those change of scenery situations?  I would prefer Zacha if I had the choice, but maybe it depends on what else BOS is throwing in. They might really want DeBrusk off the payroll so they can add another player (Garland).  Not sure a late 1st is enough as an add, though. Maybe something like DeBrusk and Lysell for Garland? 

On 2/7/2022 at 4:37 PM, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Some targets:

I realize what we have in Garland. And I respect anyone who has done what he has done and is doing in his career especially given his size . But he bounces off of people when he hits them. 

But his points and his contract could land us some good picks/prospects.

If we can pick up a guy like Domi as a Ufa (not giving up assests)then that's how you replenish your system with youth. It only takes a couple moves like that to put yourself in a position to have good stock of youth in your system.

It also addresses the team toughness issue and like you said he's Bo's friend. 

These are the kinds of moves we should be making.  

Even if we pay Miller 8.5 next time around and trade Brock for picks or prospects that could be around an extra 4 mil or so. If we can trade Pearson we would be able to add another 5-6 million player to replace Brock. We should be able to replace Pearson from within. He's tailing off pretty bad as far as I'm concerned.