The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is another reason the Hronek trade was a bit confusing. I get that maybe he wouldn't be available in the summer, but it further limited any cap flexibility the Canucks may have had, especially after re-signing Kuzmenko. I wasn't totally against the Hronek trade but for a management team that has been talking about looking for cap flexibility for well over a year, they weren't doing themselves any favors.

If teams are insisting on a 1st or 2nd to take a cap dump and the Canucks bite, then I wonder if they'll be able to "get away" with a future 1st. That's the only way I can see any cap dump including a 1st being even remotely defensible.

Garland doesn't have a NMC so he could theoretically be waived and demoted (even though he doesn't deserve to be demoted). If the Canucks can trade Myers with minimal retention, demote Garland, and have both Poolman and Pearson on LTIR, then they might be able to make the cap work, but they probably won't have much room to make any other meaningful alterations this offseason.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The market last season saw Bjorkstrand, a player with similar production and a heavier trade protected contract go for a 3rd and 4th. Obviously markets change but I can't see Garland taking much of a sweetener at all (if any) to move.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Seravalli quote from the article.  Sounds like Vancouver knows it's going to cost them to move those big contracts.  

Frank Seravalli: I think the next step, before you can even think about being aggressive [in acquiring players], is to aggressively shed contracts and garner cap space. I’ll give you a little preview, supposed to mention tomorrow on my show that one of the news items that I had is that the Canucks have actually somewhat aggressively been in talks with some teams to at least understand the prices of what it would cost to unload a contract or two. I think a lot of the focus has actually been on Conor Garland, in specific. But I also think Patrik Allvin, in the conversations that I’ve heard of, has been very open-minded in … ‘let me understand what all the prices are first before I make a decision on exactly it’s gonna be.’ So, they have engaged in talks and it’s certainly something that’s on everyone’s radar. My understanding was, to this point, that the Canucks have found the prices to be very high.

Seravalli added that the Canucks have very little leverage in their negotiations involving Garland or any other high-priced players, and that they’ll likely have to part with high draft picks in any deal involving big cap hits going out the door.

1 minute ago, mll said:

The Seravalli quote from the article.  Sounds like Vancouver knows it's going to cost them to move those big contracts.  

Frank Seravalli: I think the next step, before you can even think about being aggressive [in acquiring players], is to aggressively shed contracts and garner cap space. I’ll give you a little preview, supposed to mention tomorrow on my show that one of the news items that I had is that the Canucks have actually somewhat aggressively been in talks with some teams to at least understand the prices of what it would cost to unload a contract or two. I think a lot of the focus has actually been on Conor Garland, in specific. But I also think Patrik Allvin, in the conversations that I’ve heard of, has been very open-minded in … ‘let me understand what all the prices are first before I make a decision on exactly it’s gonna be.’ So, they have engaged in talks and it’s certainly something that’s on everyone’s radar. My understanding was, to this point, that the Canucks have found the prices to be very high.

Seravalli added that the Canucks have very little leverage in their negotiations involving Garland or any other high-priced players, and that they’ll likely have to part with high draft picks in any deal involving big cap hits going out the door.

The Benning legacy

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

This is another reason the Hronek trade was a bit confusing. I get that maybe he wouldn't be available in the summer, but it further limited any cap flexibility the Canucks may have had, especially after re-signing Kuzmenko. I wasn't totally against the Hronek trade but for a management team that has been talking about looking for cap flexibility for well over a year, they weren't doing themselves any favors.

If teams are insisting on a 1st or 2nd to take a cap dump and the Canucks bite, then I wonder if they'll be able to "get away" with a future 1st. That's the only way I can see any cap dump including a 1st being even remotely defensible.

Garland doesn't have a NMC so he could theoretically be waived and demoted (even though he doesn't deserve to be demoted). If the Canucks can trade Myers with minimal retention, demote Garland, and have both Poolman and Pearson on LTIR, then they might be able to make the cap work, but they probably won't have much room to make any other meaningful alterations this offseason.

Our cap already works, even if Poolman is still on the roster. Pearson can’t even hold a stick right now so the chances of him playing again are almost zero. At least for next season.

If he is put on LTIR then we are at $81 million with 20 players signed according to CapFriendly. If we add Spencer Martin, Noah Juulsen and Jack Rathbone to the roster we have 23 players and are just below $83.5 million. 

What we need to do is move money out to bring new money in. So if Garland is traded that frees up $5 million to go after a couple of UFA’s. Then we can replace guys like Rathbone and Dries with better players. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paying to give Garland away is ridiculous. Sure he's a 4 million dollar guy making 5 million. I've seen a lot worse contracts. Guy gets no PP time and played with Dries (bless his heart) and still got 46 points. Guy is fast and feisty. Had something like 1 less 5v5 point than Miller his first season here. Canucks should try putting players in positions to succeed if they want to move on from them. Garland should have played in top 6 last 25 games and racked up the points if they planned to move him. Not put on the 3rd line with no PP time. What you expect? 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully another team hires JB this off-season. Allvin and co could really use him right now as a trading partner. Seemed like Benning was always willing to pay full price to help other teams clear cap. ;) 

I've held out hope that some team will hire him. 

38 minutes ago, mll said:

My understanding... 

I think... 

Up to this point at least... 

I listen to Frank Seravelli religiously, but he's full of empty speculation all the time.  

He's good for breaking UFA news. 

Makes me wonder whether potentially we move down the draft to gain an extra 2nd or 3rd to help move a Garland, Myers, Boeser etc.

Sounds like the ask is high to take on bad contracts and term. May not even get an asset in return, may even well be that it will be a Max Pacioretty like deal were basically he was given away for nothing.

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our cap already works, even if Poolman is still on the roster. Pearson can’t even hold a stick right now so the chances of him playing again are almost zero. At least for next season.

If he is put on LTIR then we are at $81 million with 20 players signed according to CapFriendly. If we add Spencer Martin, Noah Juulsen and Jack Rathbone to the roster we have 23 players and are just below $83.5 million. 

What we need to do is move money out to bring new money in. So if Garland is traded that frees up $5 million to go after a couple of UFA’s. Then we can replace guys like Rathbone and Dries with better players. 

You can’t just put in a bunch of “ifs” and say that all is good.

Pearson being ruled out for the season is likely not going to be confirmed until long after we have to make moves to buy out players or make moves to trade them to be under the cap.  This is especially the case when all the reports and messaging has been that he isn’t particularly happy with how his treatment went from the team.  Not like he is going to do any favours and rule himself out for the whole season just in order to rescue the team from their cap mismanagement.

He hasn’t retired, and getting back to play some games this season to show he is healthy would make a vast difference on whether he can get another contract from someone beyond this year.  Why would he give up on that chance at a few more million dollars?

We can’t sign new players and still have to try to exit a few million just to fit under the cap next year.  “IF” Poolman and Pearson end up on LTIR for the entire season, we can use that freed up money at that point.  You can’t act like it will happen until it does because then you have no way to be cap compliant at the start of the season if they don’t go on LTIR for the whole season.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, mll said:

I think a lot of this type of stuff is smoke. Boeser and Garland are overpaid sure, but they are quality NHL players who are supposedly hitting their "prime" years. It's not like they're 33 and have 3 years left on their contracts and simply just can't play.

Teams will be willing to make a "hockey trade" and take a chance on these types of players. 

If I'm the Canucks I'm trading both Boeser and Garland this summer. We need to be cheap on the wings and invest our money up the middle and on our top 4 defence. 

Beauvillier-Petey-Kuzy 

Mikheyev-Miller-Hoglander

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Benning legacy

And the cap mismanagement just continues under the new guys.

The new guys have put millions on the cap, over 25% of the cap is JR and PA money signings

• Vintage 3