The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

3 hours ago, KirkSave said:

To me the best option to shave cap for other teams is likely Myers. Once his bonus is paid this summer, he is only owed like 1 million actual dollars but his cap hit remains 6mil which could help some teams get to the cap floor (Anaheim, Chicago, Carolina, Arizona, Detroit, Seattle, Pittsburgh). I understand Myers has a 10 team no trade list. I could see him waiving for Carolina (contender) or Seattle (still geographically close to his home base in Kelowna and also a solid team). Depth in the playoffs is huge and adding a large veteran D-man who plays with an edge (ask Tavares) could make sense before the season starts. I could see Myers being an intriguing option for both Carolina and Seattle (more likely IMHO). 

If we are able to move Myers, then Beauvillier or Garland could follow without so much pressure to add (let's keep what future assests we have), got to stop the cycle some time eh! 

There are some significant problems with this idea.

1.  The bonus isn’t due until just before training camp.  So he would continue to be untradeable until then.  We need to clear cap space at the start of the summer, hoping that someone takes Myers at the last minute means we can’t use his potential freed up cap.

2.  There aren’t any teams struggling to hit the cap floor, and there are plenty of teams that would be happy to offload an LTIR contract and give a sweetener to do it.  League wide there is only something like $400 Million in cap space with over 200 roster spots to fill…. Less than $2 million per player when the league average is over $3 million. That is assuming that all teams are spending to the cap, which isn’t the case. That  makes it probably $50 million lower,  LTIR opportunities probably make that a wash be freeing up a little more cap space (but also more roster spots to fill). Teams re-signing their own players and a few high end will take most of that cap space available.

3.  Teams mentioned like Carolina are cap teams and not going to take on a $6 million hit for a 3rd pairing D.  The bonus being paid doesn’t matter to them as they would still get tagged with the full cap hit.

4.  There are a limited few teams line Arizona who could find Myers useful at $1 million in real money.  His 10 team NTC could vastly impact any chance of moving him.  What motivation could he have to play in Arizona?  His agent could easily identify the 10 teams with cap space to fit him in, and put them on his list.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

4.  There are a limited few teams line Arizona who could find Myers useful at $1 million in real money.  His 10 team NTC could vastly impact any chance of moving him.  What motivation could he have to play in Arizona?  His agent could easily identify the 10 teams with cap space to fit him in, and put them on his list.

Simple solution: waive Myers after his bonus is paid. Arizona would take that and run. They're going to have trouble signing people to play there. And Myers will get lots of minutes and might end up worth a pick at the deadline with 50% retention (which also costs Arizona barely any actual cash).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Your Time Is Now said:

IMHO, the best way to clear out cap this summer and beyond is:

1. retain 2 million on Boeser and try to get a 2nd back for him at 4.5 (add a third if need be to get the 2nd back)

2. pair the 2nd with garland to get back whatever you can

3. trade Myers at next year’s deadline

Anything else to rid the team of these 3 would be a pure miracle…

Well sounds good as we might have to add to get them gone long as it's nothing to big 

I would add Rathbone and Hogs to get a 3 C with someone to save picks.

2 hours ago, Your Time Is Now said:

1. retain 2 million on Boeser and try to get a 2nd back for him at 4.5 (add a third if need be to get the 2nd back)

Why would you want to get rid of Garland?  I'm all for Boeser, but I'd be trading AB before I traded Garland.  You want more play drivers, not less

8 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Well sounds good as we might have to add to get them gone long as it's nothing to big 

I would add Rathbone and Hogs to get a 3 C with someone to save picks.

no to adding anything, imo.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Your Time Is Now said:

So, moving both Boeser and Garland - plus retaining 2.5 mil for 2 years and dealing away the asset you get back for Brock. 

For what? In one year we get 10 mil for Myers and Beauvillier off the books plus whatever the cap is going up.  

What free agents are we needing to chase this offseason that makes us retain and move out on a couple of 50 point wingers for nothing? We have the cap space opening up to extend Petey and Hronek. 

It would be nice to land a 3C and maybe one more D but as a non-playoff team can we really get a premium piece in UFA?  Also - if we clear space for a trade what are we giving up that isn’t to a team at least interested in Brock or Garland?  

Creating the cap space just to have it doesn’t make sense - especially with how hard it will be to carve out right now.  If we’re doing it, it’s to immediately spend it.  Otherwise we should just wait until things loosen up and with one year less Garland and Boeser become easier to move.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

To me Laughton would be a good deal to get us a 3C.

BB 600000 retained plus Rathbone and Hogs plus 5th rounder

For Laughton and a third. 

They get two young guys and can retain a mill or so to get rid of BB either now or tdl and get a second.  

Both teams win.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Simple solution: waive Myers after his bonus is paid. Arizona would take that and run. They're going to have trouble signing people to play there. And Myers will get lots of minutes and might end up worth a pick at the deadline with 50% retention (which also costs Arizona barely any actual cash).

better soltion, run with Myers until the tdl, when he's actually got some pretty good trade value and get something for him

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Bingo ;)

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

better soltion, run with Myers until the tdl, when he's actually got some pretty good trade value and get something for him

Because, opportunity cost.

By all means, if there's nothing better left in September/October (doubtful) to spend that cap on via UFA or trade... Sure, keep him and see what you can get at the TDL.  If there is though, and/or moving him gets us out of LTIR so we can bank space all season...Bye!

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bingo ;)

Because, opportunity cost.

By all means, if there's nothing better left in September/October (doubtful) to spend that cap on via UFA or trade... Sure, keep him and see what you can get at the TDL.  If there is though, and/or moving him gets us out of LTIR so we can bank space all season...Bye!

sure, if they can move him without a sweetener, more power to them.  Otherwise, keep him until the deadline

• Upvote 1

I hope the Canucks dont trade away anymore picks to move players. It really isn't necessary. Garlands contact isn't as bad as media is portraying.  Canucksaybhave to wait until a week or 2 into FA but I can see a trade  with Nashville 1 for 1 with the Canucks getting Colton Sissons in return.

Preds need more scoring and I think Colton was their 4th line C when all players were healthy, here he'd be the prefect 3c. Garlands salary is about 2 million more i think. 

Boeser should be kept he will have a great season this year. He can be moved next off season when there is more cap. 

I'd also like to see Beau this off season but I don't think he will be. 

Myers could be moved during the beginning of the season as teams start having players injured. Not the ideal situation but a pick could be had then. I think this team could be a playoff team even if a RD isn't added this season. 

Wait out this year and cap space will be their next season to improve the D. 

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Astonishing you actually think a 55 point player has no value and letting him walk free is a good move :picard:

I recall some discussion on Sportsnet 650 a few months back. It's not that Garland doesn't have value it's more that Canucks are having cap problems and all teams know the situation the Canucks are in.

Garland is a good player but probably a million dollars overpaid, teams know this and Canucks are in no position to leverage on this deal. Teams aren't going to give Vancouver an asset to get Garland knowing how the team needs to desperately shed off cap. With this an the cap not going very high. No team is going to help Vancouver at best teams will probably offer a late round pick, at worst, maybe a pick swap like Vancouver gives up Garland and a 2nd Round Pick and the other team gives up a 3rd and 5th round pick. 

16 hours ago, Maddogy said:

If you are the owner, you would ask the management team why they would overspend on cap space and put the team in a difficult spot.

They can then return ask why are you so dead set on making the playoffs when the team sucks. Just bottom out for the next couple of years and we can be in contention. But instead we are in no man's land where we are too good to get a good draft pick but suck too much to get into playoffs. How about that Aquaman?

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I recall some discussion on Sportsnet 650 a few months back. It's not that Garland doesn't have value it's more that Canucks are having cap problems and all teams know the situation the Canucks are in.

Garland is a good player but probably a million dollars overpaid, teams know this and Canucks are in no position to leverage on this deal. Teams aren't going to give Vancouver an asset to get Garland knowing how the team needs to desperately shed off cap. With this an the cap not going very high. No team is going to help Vancouver at best teams will probably offer a late round pick, at worst, maybe a pick swap like Vancouver gives up Garland and a 2nd Round Pick and the other team gives up a 3rd and 5th round pick. 

So move the one player who.will create the most cap room and also bring back a good return.  It's the most simple, most beneficial move

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Am I missing something about our ownership/management? Why does it seem to be a hard no for buyouts and retaining salary for trades for positive returns with added Cap space? I haven’t seen this team do much of this

Buyouts don't really "save" cap space, once you factor in replacement players. And in a lot of cases (Poolman for example) you're probably better off waiving them for the $1.1m cap savings, rather than extending your cap punishment in to the future with a buyout.

They just retained on Horvat to increase the return.  You generally only see retention in the last year of deals.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

What free agents are we needing to chase this offseason that makes us retain and move out on a couple of 50 point wingers for nothing? We have the cap space opening up to extend Petey and Hronek. 

This is a great point that isn’t being discussed enough IMHO.

We all want cap space, and many have suggested targets on D or 3C, etc. 

Which of those players are worth paying UFA prices, plus losing a good winger for nothing, AND adding picks?

If you group those transactions the way we combine the Horvat and Hronek deals, we’re basically trading a good player and picks/prospects for a UFA, likely on another inefficient contract. 

• Cheers 1