The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Jan. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DS4quality said:

I've watched the Tyler Myers hit like 30 times and still have no idea how it's a penalty. Lewis still has the puck Myers cuts him off and hits him. At the speed the game is played how is Myers supposed to shrink a foot  to make the hit?

with no supplementary discipline that tells me that the league was happy with the one game that he ALREADY missed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

I've watched the Tyler Myers hit like 30 times and still have no idea how it's a penalty. Lewis still has the puck Myers cuts him off and hits him. At the speed the game is played how is Myers supposed to shrink a foot  to make the hit?

drop to his knees 

8 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

with no supplementary discipline that tells me that the league was happy with the one game that he ALREADY missed.

Everyone saying he was retaliating missed the fact that a hit along the boards is a hockey play, but a glove to the face isn't 

42 minutes ago, J-P said:

In real time it looked like a bad call, but you could see on the replay that the D got his stick in good over the smurf's stick (the D was schenn iirc).

The thing that bothered me beyond JT not getting the same call (on a play that took the stick out of his hand!) is that the ref didn't put his arm up right away with Johnny....didn't make the call until after the save was made.  I know in real time it's much quicker, but still. If you see a call, make it...don't wait to decide what it'll be.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sorry you are in Calgary.  Next to Toronto it’s the ugliest, smelliest, loser infested city in Canada.

Hey Alf.Up yours.Calgary has been voted one of the cleanest cities in the world.The absolute beautiful green spaces and trees here in the city in the summer is spectacular.Gorgeous parks like Fish Creek and  Bowness I would put up against Vancouver any day.Both cities parks are awesome.As for loser the original poster hating on Calgary should look in the mirror.Calgary is as beautiful in its own way as Vancouver.This from a guy born there.Lived in the Okanagan for 30 years and here in Calgary for 20.I love visting Vancouver and love living in Calgary.Don't know why you hate on it so hard.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

She made me cringe a few times. One particular instance was at the beginning of the second period after the panel talked about how Bruce would give one of his passionate pep talk to get the guys going after a lacklustre first. It turned out we lost the period opening faceoff and gave up a decent chance which Demko had to stop. I'm paraphrasing:

"Losing an opening faceoff and giving up that chance after listening to Bruce's pep talk..."

She didn't finish her sentence but it seemed like she wanted to say that these Canucks are pathetic.

I used to think John Garrett is the biggest homer there ever was. Well, John holds his thoughts to himself and keeps himself in check at time with help from Shorty. Cassie Campbell didn't even try.

You obviously don't watch many local US broadcasts, Boston, Philly, now those guys are homers. I think the major problem is that with Covid SportsNet is trying to limit travel as much as possible, so you get more hometown announcers. I would have preferred Rick Ball to Singh, Cambell was as expected, a homer. Having been a hometown announcer in my past career, I can tell you it's hard to set your feelings aside, especially if you travel with the ream, and normally do a homer broadcast, it's hard to stay neutral if your team is playing. It's why normally before Covid guys like Randorf, Ball, Cole, didn't broadcast for "their" teams in national coverage.

Edited by canuckleheads fan

15 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Another game where it shows how far we are from being a playoff team. 0/3 on the pp. no shots. Just ugly.

Just reinforces what Jim R has likely determined after the recent road trip where he closely evaluated what we got/miss.   It's all but certain that except for Demko and Quinn, absolutely everyone is being sized up for trade value.  No doubt now what's going to happen.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo

15 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Its so obvious..  Boeser gets more brutal by the game.  

And not a single player on our 2011 team would have pouted the way miller just did.

It's all but certain ther Brock will be traded.    The only thing he's good at is shooting.  He can't do anything else at all and I suspect JR won't want to pay $7.5 Million for a half a player when he likely can find a more rounded player for that type of money that can skate faster, back check, make completed passes and doesn't float like a cork..    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Our D men were pretty depleted last night after Myers' exit.  Quinn playing over 30 minutes (and OEL next in line at 25+).

I don't really care about Cale Makar.

Ya I'm not just talking about last night..

As I said there are 18 Dmen with 7 or more goals in the NHL

Our entire Defense corps has scored 7 goals all season. 

120 Dmen with 10 or more points..

We only have 2 Dmen with 10 or more points..

Can't win in today's NHL if your D doesn't move the puck, create offense and put up Points. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Can't win in today's NHL if your D doesn't move the puck, create offense and put up Points. 

...................AND...............two of your top four can't score!  EP40 didn't even get a shot in last night   (AGAIN) !

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I think the lack of scoring should be focused on our offense so I guess that's what I take away from it all. The D has their job and creating scoring is secondary...I want them to help Demko prevent goals.  Myers takes a lot of shots and could have a few goals except he's off target.

I did notice the Flames springing their forwards open with passes that connected and created potential breakaway chances.   It's pretty when it works.

I'm not in complete disagreement, I just think we have other things that need work before this.

14 hours ago, philtbc829 said:

Ah well a loser point, shame Demko deserved better, but it wasn't happening for them tonight you could clearly see that....new GM has plenty of work ahead of him... 

Clap as hard as you can for free skins meme light house demolition house funny explosion clap on clap off PotatoJam People & Blogs GIF.....................COMPLETE TEARDOWN & REBUILD on the way!

Still hoping that EP40 will somehow find his game again.......fingers crossed.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

24 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

The thing that bothered me beyond JT not getting the same call (on a play that took the stick out of his hand!) is that the ref didn't put his arm up right away with Johnny....didn't make the call until after the save was made.  I know in real time it's much quicker, but still. If you see a call, make it...don't wait to decide what it'll be.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Great footage, thanks!

I see what you mean, but in the end it was the right call and I give the referees the benefit of the doubt here as it was hard to tell in real time.Also while frustrating at times I think that refs taking time to talk things over, doing reviews etc are a good thing as it avoids referees having too much of an impact on games.

Generally I try not to get into the referees too much, very few if any of our games this season have been decided by refs. Last night had a few missed calls both ways, e.g. on the Myers play the Calgary players should have gotten at least one minor penalty. I think the major on Myers but no suspension was the right call, but even those who don't agree should see that it was a stupid play, if you're gonna do a revenge hit you have to make it clean and not borderline dirty or every ref will call you for it.

In the end none of it changed the outcome. Far more frustrated by our PP and OT than refs.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

If fighting hard hard all game against the Lames results in a dribble of scoring chances, what does that say about the team? 

That we were extremely undermanned.  

We really need Myers/Poolman/Burroughs/Hamonic back.  That's our entire right side of defense that's gone. Luckily no suspension for Myers it looks like. 

23 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It's been an issue all season, and it bleeds into every area of our game. Hughes is phenomenal, but he's one guy, it's not enough. 

Yes, D are supposed to defend but if you're being paid 6M+ there needs to be more than just defending. One can point to usage and deployment, but bottom line is OEL and Myers haven't produced enough. Our D as a whole hasn't. 

If we want to compete for a playoff spot regularly, let alone contend, this will have to change. 

It's not just the D, it's not just the forwards, neither have done enough. But Al will need to address our D sooner than later.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2