The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I love what you do but this ain't true. Ottawa has a winless record with 4.5m man in the lineup haha. The others at least get secondary assists 

None of those 3 even come close to being able to play any defence.  I don't care how many points they get; a guy who is that much of a defensive liability simply has no place on an actual NHL blueline.  Zaitsev isn't great, but he's still far better than that AHL trash and can probably at least be a 7/8.

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

None of those 3 even come close to being able to play any defence.  I don't care how many points they get; a guy who is that much of a defensive liability simply has no place on an actual NHL blueline.  Zaitsev isn't great, but he's still far better than that AHL trash and can probably at least be a 7/8.

Nahhhhh. Z plays the same level of defense as those other 3 total bums.. But has zero offense. That's worse haha 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Not "who", "Woo". 

:bigblush:

Because management would rather draft wingers high and trade second round picks. We should be holding on to picks and regularly targeting D in the second round, or in the first round if there are prospects ranked roughly equally around where we pick, I'm perfectly fine with position being the deciding factor if there's not a clearcut BPA, which there often isn't as you get further away from the top five picks. 

Instead of obsessing about how to acquire top end RD from other teams we should be drafting our own. It's not that complicated and yet prior to Woo the last D we drafted in the second round was Yann Wauve back in 2008. 

We should be drafting our own, yes.  Draft dmen that are defensive minded first.   There's been too much emphasis on offensive dmen that cant defend.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes but Zaitsev is buried so there's an additional 1.1 so it would be 2.6 off the cap but.....

doubt it, none know if he nix or not, why on earth would he prefer ottawa over beautiful BC , in any regards ..wouldnt of been a upgrade, so glad we didnt do the deal

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We should be drafting our own, yes.  Draft dmen that are defensive minded first.   There's been too much emphasis on offensive dmen that cant defend.  

Drafting D high should be a priority, particularly in the second round. Hughes worked out, Juolevi didn't, ain't no reason be gun shy.

More likely to get NHL'ers from first and second round picks, we should be holding on to ours and trying to gather more.

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

Then those fans should expect nothing but mediocrity.

What do you mean? I just stated fans are excited as ever this season, the arena is packed.

You need to adjust your expectations of what you look for as a fan, I look for entertainment not wins. As a result it's not mediocrity at all I am feeling encouraged by the product unlike some of the old timers here, I think if you separate entertainment from #winning you'll start to enjoy the product on the ice a lot more.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

JR and Allvin need to be doing better scouting and work than this if this is all the trade chat there is...Myers for Zaitsev is laughable and shows no direction for this team whatsoever.

Why we aren't trading a winger for defenceman is beyond me. We've got so many good wingers, so many teams need scorers, yet here we are talking about down-grading our already thin defence?

didn't we basically do a similar move last year trading Hamonic for Dermott to save around 1.5m on the cap. I know it was two seperate trades but if we can recoup a 2nd or even a 3rd round pick or mid round pick AND OTT retain a bit on Zaitsev if we get a later pick I would be all for it. Save cap however possible, I mean our GM thought it was smart to trade a 2nd round pick to clear 1.3m this year so they could then trade for Bear. 

14 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

who else would come with Z for myers? prospect or draft pick?

Maybe Z & Zub for Meyers?

Sens get a top 4 Dman that might fit better on their team than here

Canucks get a top4 Dman to try out and resign and costs them whatever it would take to buy Z out in summer….even give him a try on big club.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Can't be giving up offense this season, I am not sure if you been to any games in the arena but the atmosphere is electric. One of the main reasons is because of the high octane offense from our forward group. We been in top 10 in scoring and many games have multi goal leads.

As a new fan of the franchise I don't really share the same passion for "win, win" mentality neither do most of my friends what we care about is entertainment. As long as many goals are scored and we see our favorite players doing well doesn't matter if team wins or losses I think modern fans would agree and see my logic.

Why give up the one sure amazing thing this season (your wingers offense) to improve defense that won't put up goals. Goals sells tickets.

FYI, offense in the modern NHL is driven by having good, mobile D who can get the puck back and up to forwards, walking the opposing blue line with the puck etc.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

FYI, offense in the modern NHL is driven by having good, mobile D who can get the puck back and up to forwards, walking the opposing blue line with the puck etc.

And, after moving the puck up ice with a great first pass, joining the rush to put number the opponent.  Hughes is great at this.  He has one of the best outlet passes in the league.  I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Bear in this regard too.  He seems to think the game quickly.  Wish our forwards would come back lower in our D zone though.  But Bruce likes his forwards blowing the zone.  

• Cheers 2

On 11/17/2022 at 7:47 PM, eeeeergh said:

1. Myers at 50% retained + our 3rd for: a 2023 1st

2. Bo for a 2023 1st + Morrow or Cuelemans (depending on who we trade with)

3. Pearson at 50% retained for a 3rd

4. Schenn for a 2nd at the deadline

5. Kuzmenko at the deadline for a 2023 1st

Weaponize the 6-7m of cap space to take on a arizona style cap dump or two, for another 1st round pick

Clean up in the 2023 draft, suck bad in 2024 b/c of the above moves, 2025 we take our revenge. 

Dreaming in technicolor for any of those returns except maybe Bo.