The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THAT needs to be our main Jersey.

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

Simple fix for current jersey set:

1. Keep same jersey template and logo

2. Switch current blue to the darker blue used on Reverse Retro jerseys

3. Maybe add the V design to the sleeve like the original 1970 jerseys had and use inverse colours for SIR shoulder

4. Add in Skate jersey to rotation as permanent 3rd

Keeps branding consistent but refreshes/modernizes look. Keeps nostalgia alive with 3rd but doesn’t compromise the work to establish brand over the last 20 years. I don’t have photoshop skills but if someone mocked this up it would be a clear winner.

Tell me I’m wrong.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, VanCanuckMan said:

1. Keep same jersey template and logo

2. Switch current blue to the darker blue used on Reverse Retro jerseys

3. Maybe add the V design to the sleeve like the original 1970 jerseys had and use inverse colours for SIR shoulder

4. Add in Skate jersey to rotation as permanent 3rd

Keeps branding consistent but refreshes/modernizes look. Keeps nostalgia alive with 3rd but doesn’t compromise the work to establish brand over the last 20 years. I don’t have photoshop skills but if someone mocked this up it would be a clear winner.

Tell me I’m wrong.

I would prefer if they adopted the stripe pattern from the current third for the home jersey as well if they were making these changes. I hate the stripes on the current home jersey. 

edit: collar notwithstanding.

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:56 AM, VanCanuckMan said:

1. Ditch the Orca logo and use a recoloured Skate.

2. Switch current blue to the darker blue used on Reverse Retro jerseys.

3. Ditch cheap and bland Agency font and go back to the much nicer and traditional block font. Add a green font outline.

4. Add the V design to the sleeves like the original 1970 jerseys had and use original Stick in Rink on the L shoulder and skating Johnny Canuck on the R shoulder or put Johnny Canuck on both shoulders - both facing forward.

5. Add in green Johnny  Canuck jersey to rotation as permanent 3rd. '70 Stick in Rink on both shoulders.

Keeps Canucks hockey branding consistent with the 3 H's: Heritage, History & Hockey.

We Are All Canucks.

We Are NOT ALL Orcas.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:52 AM, DefCon1 said:

Honestly I like the original colors of black, red and yellow. I dont get the point of why we need the colors of the jersey to match the city. I think the black jersey looks really sharp and maybe helps players in terms of vision when locating teammates on the ice due to the high contrast of the black jersey to the white ice. It also looks meaner versus the calm feeling you get from a blue jersey.

Yup. Wearing colors like blue, green, or red is like wearing camouflage against a white background. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

We've been talking about this topic for over 50 years, because we still don't have that timeless understated logo that some of the original six do.

I don't mind our Orca logo.  I even kind of like it some nights...when we are blowing some team away and I've had a few wobbly pops.

But lets face it, we've never had a logo that a vast majority of fans love.

Here's the best versions of the designs we put out, IMHO:

Stick in Rink.

What a dumb lazy logo.  Der.....we play hockey with stick in oval rink (like every other team). Especially boring was the first incarnation.

0528-van-orland.png

The update was slightly more dynamic but still booooooooring and too general.

canucks-horvat-stick-rink.png

Then came  probably our best most unique jersey.  The big V.  Way ahead of its time.  A jersey AND logo in one.  head>explode.  Why are these the only jerseys we NEVER get to see as alternates?  I'd love to see them in black/white, green and blue.

thomas-gradin-canucks.jpg

wafflebored-canucks-v-1.jpg

Then the gawd awful....design wise....Flying Skate logo.  An amateurish highschool art project look. The Canucks lettering formed as the skate blade?....just no.  Do I still get a lump in my throat and dopamine shot into my brain whenever I see this logo? damn rights. I was at a couple of the 94 run playoff games at the colosseum. Game 5 against Calgary and Game 6 against Toronto watching Linden hoist the conference cup and lid falling off to the ice. :lol:  It was a magical time, and this logo is special for that reason and should never be out of commission and be used an an alternate more often.  Black one is the best of this lot, but the logo itself is not going to ever win any design awards.

fac22c7628d93bec5e5d9e3b470e5f43.jpg

1188737817.jpg

Then came the Orca.

I would have preferred the original design that designer Brent Lynch came up with for McCaw.  The one he said no to is now used by the Vancouver Giants.  You've all seen it.  A beautiful design of the ultimate "Canuck" logger.  With a nod to the original stick-in-rink. (He carries the stick on the same angle). I am convinced that if McCaw had gone with this design, we'd all mostly be happy today with the logo.

But McCaw said go back to the drawing board, and the Giants snapped it up.  And he then came up with the Orca.  I know it was a part of the business name of the company was used to run/fund the team, but I also think it reflected our Province, through its native species, and native art style. How many penguins have you seen in Pittsburgh? We don't need to promote Canuckness.  Its slang for a Canadian. As general a term as a stick and rink. Molsons Canadian already sponsors one Canadiens team.

As far as the best version of this incarnation, another controversial pick I am guessing but the best version of the Orca IMO is the Sprite can version.  I just think the extra shoulder layer and white stripes complete the look.  I also don't mind the "sprite" fade.  Because its not a garish colour fade, like the old salmon pink ones. It actually elevates it.

USATSI_15610025-scaled.jpg

The Canucks organization is not a democracy; it is a dictatorship, and as long as the owners like the logo and uniforms, they stay. Personally, I detest the orca because it is/was a corporate logo for a company no longer involved with the team. You do realize that probably thousands of NHL fans think that a Canuck is some sort of smiling fish taking a header through a plate glass window. Overall, the Giants have the best logo, followed by Abbotsford. The orca has to go, along with the stupid stick in the rink. A few years back, someone did a logo mockup of an aviator that looked pretty cool.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

The Canucks organization is not a democracy; it is a dictatorship, and as long as the owners like the logo and uniforms, they stay. Personally, I detest the orca because it is/was a corporate logo for a company no longer involved with the team. You do realize that probably thousands of NHL fans think that a Canuck is some sort of smiling fish taking a header through a plate glass window. Overall, the Giants have the best logo, followed by Abbotsford. The orca has to go, along with the stupid stick in the rink. A few years back, someone did a logo mockup of an aviator that looked pretty cool.

Every logo is essentially a corporate logo. :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I absolutely detest the constipated whale. 

My Grandma had a crush on Harrrrrold so I rock #27 old school stick in rink.

Edited by Salacious Crumb
  • Cheers 1

On 2/25/2022 at 6:24 PM, D.B Cooper said:

If we go back to the spaghetti plate, we are going to have to have a local Italian artist redo do it all or the team will get cancelled by Italy.  

The spaghetti plate looks a lot better than the corporate constipating whale sperm breaking through an ice 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

We've been talking about this topic for over 50 years, because we still don't have that timeless understated logo that some of the original six do.

I don't mind our Orca logo.  I even kind of like it some nights...when we are blowing some team away and I've had a few wobbly pops.

Stick in Rink.

What a dumb lazy logo.  Der.....we play hockey with stick in oval rink (like every other team). Especially boring was the first incarnation.

0528-van-orland.png

Then came  probably our best most unique jersey.  The big V.  Way ahead of its time.  A jersey AND logo in one.  head>explode.  Why are these the only jerseys we NEVER get to see as alternates?  I'd love to see them in black/white, green and blue.

Then the gawd awful....design wise....Flying Skate logo.  An amateurish highschool art project look. The Canucks lettering formed as the skate blade?....just no.  Do I still get a lump in my throat and dopamine shot into my brain whenever I see this logo? damn rights. I was at a couple of the 94 run playoff games at the colosseum. Game 5 against Calgary and Game 6 against Toronto watching Linden hoist the conference cup and lid falling off to the ice. :lol:  It was a magical time, and this logo is special for that reason and should never be out of commission and be used an an alternate more often.  Black one is the best of this lot, but the logo itself is not going to ever win any design awards.

1188737817.jpg

Then came the Orca.

I would have preferred the original design that designer Brent Lynch came up with for McCaw.  The one he said no to is now used by the Vancouver Giants.  You've all seen it.  A beautiful design of the ultimate "Canuck" logger.  With a nod to the original stick-in-rink. (He carries the stick on the same angle). I am convinced that if McCaw had gone with this design, we'd all mostly be happy today with the logo.

But McCaw said go back to the drawing board, and the Giants snapped it up.  And he then came up with the Orca.  I know it was a part of the business name of the company was used to run/fund the team, but I also think it reflected our Province, through its native species, and native art style. How many penguins have you seen in Pittsburgh? We don't need to promote Canuckness.  Its slang for a Canadian. As general a term as a stick and rink. Molsons Canadian already sponsors one Canadiens team.

As far as the best version of this incarnation, another controversial pick I am guessing but the best version of the Orca IMO is the Sprite can version.  I just think the extra shoulder layer and white stripes complete the look.  I also don't mind the "sprite" fade.  Because its not a garish colour fade, like the old salmon pink ones. It actually elevates it.

when looking through the Canucks Jersey history , that black skate jersey is hands down the best. Of I had to do a modification on it, I would make the skate go up vs. down. 

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, kilgore said:

I'd like it if this was our home jersey with a matching white for the road.  Same great colours and striping of our current jerseys, no more colour issues (the Orca not having green), the closest thing the Canucks have to a "classic" logo on the front, albeit improved (unlike the current version). This is the direction the team should go in.

6 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I absolutely detest the constipated whale. 

My Grandma had a crush on Harrrrrold so I rock #27 old school stick in rink.

I remember my mom and I met Tony Tanti at a signing at Zellers in Richmond in the 80's. Signed mom picture... To Jxxxxxx: All my love, Tony Tanti.   ....lol.....  #ItalianStalion

• Like 2

It’s funny, we the fans talk about what we like, but what about the players? Seems like every time there’s a skate jersey night the players talk about how much they like the jersey/colours. They play better in them too, more confident.

Edited by NorthWestNuck

5 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

It’s funny, we the fans talk about what we like, but what about the players? Seems like every time there’s a skate jersey night the players talk about how much they like the jersey/colours. They play better in them too, more confident.

I don't know about that. As I recall when it was brought back for three games a few years back we lost all three. But I do believe many players have a thing for black jerseys. But in the end it's team make up that's more important to success than what color they wear.

• Upvote 1

I watched the Canucks first ever game laying on the floor at my Uncles house in front of the giant 21inch  COLOUR TV screen . Have been loving those first jersey's ever since . They  actually represent  a " C " not just a stick and rink . Which I think is pretty cool . when I was little most of my friends would say these were the worst jerseys ever and many polls back than agreed . Not me !

Than came the " V "  I hated them than and still do . Also hated the yellow 

When they changed to the Skate jersey I was so glad . loved the black ones but still didn't like the yellow home jerseys . when they went to white home skate jerseys I was so pleased .

Not a big fan of the Orca jerseys but I don't hate them either . 

So for me it goes 1 Stick 2 Skate 3 Orca and last never want to see again " V " 

The Jersey and Logo should always be easy for kids to draw . that was how it was explained after one of the changes also why I never want NHL jerseys to  look like European jerseys  

On 6/3/2022 at 5:56 PM, kilgore said:

Stick in Rink.

0528-van-orland.png

1188737817.jpg

Then came the Orca.

But didn't we win in five?....94 vs TO.

• Upvote 1