The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BREAKING: The IIHF has suspended Russia and Belarus from every age category in international play, withdraws Russia's 2023 World Juniors hosting rights.

Rate this topic

Roberts

At the end of the day, a lot of government funding goes into constructing Russia's national sports teams.  FIFA already canceled Russia, so it was easy for IIHF to make this decision.

Individual athletes should be free to do what they want.  But anything in which Russia is represented as a TEAM is going to get canceled.

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I'm glad they did this - especially since FIFA are totally 'waffling' on their stance. 

"Following the initial decisions adopted by the FIFA Council and the UEFA Executive Committee, which decisions envisaged the adoption of additional measures, FIFA and UEFA have today decided together that all Russian teams, whether national representative teams or club teams, shall be suspended from participation in both FIFA and UEFA competitions until further notice," FIFA said in a statement.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm glad they did this - especially since FIFA are totally 'waffling' on their stance. 

The IIHF made their move after FIFA's ban.  I actually think FIFA didn't want to outright ban Russia from tournaments (because money), but pressure from the big countries and the lack of financial security in Russia pushed them to actually come down pretty hard.  How is FIFA 'waffling?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The IIHF made their move after FIFA's ban.  I actually think FIFA didn't want to outright ban Russia from tournaments (because money), but pressure from the big countries and the lack of financial security in Russia pushed them to actually come down pretty hard.  How is FIFA 'waffling?

I'm glad to hear this - last I heard before leaving the office to go into the field today was that FIFA was simply requiring Russia to play 'neutral site and not use their jersey/flag'. 

If they've changed their stance and moved to a total ban (like IIHF) from FIFA/UEFA I'm happy to hear that. 

NHL:

NEW YORK - The National Hockey League condemns Russia's invasion of Ukraine and urges a peaceful resolution as quickly as possible. Effective immediately, we are suspending our relationships with our business partners in Russia and we are pausing our Russian language social and digital media sites. In addition, we are discontinuing any consideration of Russia as a location for any future competitions involving the NHL.

We also remain concerned about the well-being of the players from Russia, who play in the NHL on behalf of their NHL Clubs, and not on behalf of Russia. We understand they and their families are being placed in an extremely difficult position.

25 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Will be curious what happens with Russian players after the season.  

Will they need to remain in NA to avoid Visa issues and potentially not being able to get back.

First it's the diplomats, then other prominent Russian citizens, then......who knows - athletes? 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/politics/us-expels-russian-un-diplomats/index.html

11 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Ovechkin should step up as well.

That's a national hero who's voice will really resonate 

That will never happen.  Ovechkin is like a God of modern sports in Russia.  He has had to take a relatively pro-Putin stance because he is such a large public figure.  Does he truly believe in Putin?  Doesn't matter.  But he definitely isn't going to just do a full 180 and start going against the government.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, naslund.is.king said:

Ovechkin should step up as well.

That's a national hero who's voice will really resonate 

I disagree.

He has family In Russia and despite what we think ov should do... we are not in his shoes and do not fully understand the perilous situation this could put them in so we should respect his privacy.

At the end of the day OV is a hockey player and not a politician and Russia is a very dangerous place for dissenters.

Edited by GB5
  • Cheers 1

Just now, GB5 said:

I disagree.

He has family In Russia and despite what we think ov should do... not being in his shoes and fully understanding the perilous situation this could put them in then we should respect his privacy.

He wasn't an innocent bystander though, he campaigned for Putin. 

• Thanks 1