The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Management are done team assessment, Demko, Hughes, Pettersson only untouchables

12 minutes ago, BCNate said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Elliotte Friedman on the Canucks : Van has throw everyone’s name out there excluding Pettersson, Hughes and Demko. They are saying, tell us how you view these guys, who is interested and what are you willing to pay.<br><br>Donnie and Dhali<br><br>CHEK TV</p>&mdash; Rick Dhaliwal (@DhaliwalSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1498374404379533314?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 28, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry if the tweet didn't come through properly, I'll try to fix.

I think this is thread worthy, sounds like some deals are likely going to come soon.  Who stays, who goes?

My bet is for this season:

Halak- Future consideration

Motte- 2nd, or 3rd and B prospect ( I bet he signs back as a UFA)

Chiasson- Late pick

Boeser- 1st and RHD prospect

Prior to Draft:

Horvat- 1st and top prospect

Myers- 2nd and prospect

I would genuinely be shocked if Myers gets us a 2nd and a prospect, especially if we dont retain salary

Also would be surprised if the surgery is that deep, that would mean a full on rebuild.

My guess is they do more minor tinkering and move/unload:
Boeser (slow foot speed, JR wants speed), Myers (one good year has played himself into having some trade value, but still a gaffe machine), Pearson (he's been good the past couple games but still just too slow and bad hands), Dickinson (obviously), Poolman.

That'll free up 17-18m to work with, provide plenty of room for Millers extension, to get a more defensively responsible blueliner in Myers' place, find a faster top 6 forward, and rethink the penalty kill. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Not sure this is anything but normal due diligence. I don't get the impression all but these 3 are on the block. 

Every team dreams of having an elite young  #1G, #1D, #1C to build around, so I don't think they were ever on the table.  

I think that there are a few guys that are off the table, but would be moved for a huge package.

To me, the news is that they have completed their due diligence period, and we can probably expect some deals pretty soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, BCNate said:

I honestly believe that they are on the outs.  I think 1 of Miller/Horvat will be dealt, and 1 of Garand/Boeser will be dealt.  I think it's Horvat and Boeser that go, and Miller is the new captain.

Tend to agree. One point that seems a little concerning: How many current GM's look at their rosters & see 10 - 15 mill AAV that's poorly allocated? Suspect it's a big number.

Talking about a hollow economy, where there's likely more sellers than buyers. Not the ideal time for seeking a nice return.

33 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I would genuinely be shocked if Myers gets us a 2nd and a prospect, especially if we dont retain salary

Also would be surprised if the surgery is that deep, that would mean a full on rebuild.

My guess is they do more minor tinkering and move/unload:
Boeser (slow foot speed, JR wants speed), Myers (one good year has played himself into having some trade value, but still a giraffe machine), Pearson (he's been good the past couple games but still just too slow and bad hands), Dickinson (obviously), Poolman.

That'll free up 17-18m to work with, provide plenty of room for Millers extension, to get a more defensively responsible blueliner in Myers' place, find a faster top 6 forward, and rethink the penalty kill. 

FIFY

• Haha 3

Sound a bit rebuildy.  Probably just a rumour, like so many others.

The only players that will have a return that makes the team better (maybe) are: Boeser, Horvat, Garner, Miller.

The others can be added in a package, but on their own, the return isn't much.

I certainly hope that Podz would be considered trade stock

I'd be shocked if Bo is traded before a Miller extension is inked. I love Bo, I want him a Canuck forever. But if Miller is resigned, Bo will probably be moved. My crystal ball has Bo extended and Miller traded. But my crystal ball sucks. 

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Sound a bit rebuildy.  Probably just a rumour, like so many others.

The only players that will have a return that makes the team better (maybe) are: Boeser, Horvat, Garner, Miller.

The others can be added in a package, but on their own, the return isn't much.

I certainly hope that Podz would be considered trade stock

Maybe. But if Bo is traded, I would expect no less than a Chychrun type one for one. 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Maybe. But if Bo is traded, I would expect no less than a Chychrun type one for one. 

Yes, as I stated, Bo, Brock, JT and Garner will get a return that has potential to make the team better.  But...just like

Bo getting a Chychrun, what does the team have for a 2C? 

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

I'd be shocked if Bo is traded before a Miller extension is inked. I love Bo, I want him a Canuck forever. But if Miller is resigned, Bo will probably be moved. My crystal ball has Bo extended and Miller traded. But my crystal ball sucks. 

I can live with Miller staying if he resigns a reasonable contract. But to reasonable is like 5 years at 6 million, I can't see that happening especially if Miller's agent points out EP's extension and Er1kssons's contract with Vancouver. 

Bo Horvat is 26 years old. Not a kid anymore in the NHL world. On one hand I can see him resigning and being a captain and solid 2nd line center that fans will love. Or he resigns and people he ends up the Canucks' Shawn Horcoff. 

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes, as I stated, Bo, Brock, JT and Garner will get a return that has potential to make the team better.  But...just like

Bo getting a Chychrun, what does the team have for a 2C? 

I figure if JT is re-signed, EP and Miller are the one, two centers.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Not sure this is anything but normal due diligence. I don't get the impression all but these 3 are on the block. 

I agree.  I'm starting to think that there might not be many changes at the TDL unless teams are willing to up the ante on their offers.  The only ones I could see happening at this point are deals that could involve Boeser, Motte or one of the depth pieces, and that's mostly because of timing of those contracts.  It may get a lot more active in the summer.  I'm happy to be wrong about this, of course.  Very curious to see if management has been able to forge a clear vision of where they want to go and how they want to get there.

• Vintage 1

What I find the most interesting is that not too long ago the ones they weren't listening to offers on were Petey, Hughes, Demko, and Bo, but now Bo isn't in that list. I wonder if Bo has let them know that he wouldn't mind a change of scenery, or if the management group is merely recognizing that he may not be part of the solution here.