The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Management are done team assessment, Demko, Hughes, Pettersson only untouchables

We are so lucky we have top 10 goalie in Demko.. Hard position to find..

Top Centres positions are also very hard to find..We Have 3,  1. Petey, 23, 2. Horvat  26  and Miller 28 - C/W..

I still would trade Miller 28 if the right trade package is there.. Good RD man under 24, 2 decent players and a top draft pick you have to do trade like this..

Really sets the future up with lots of young players..

• Like 1

Thanks to the OP for posting this tread. But I would say that the suggested returns are too optimistic, as is often the case with hometown assessments. Here are some specific responses.

Halak- Future considerations

Halak has a no-movement clause. He cannot be traded without his consent and he is no  hurry to go anywhere. More importantly, I think that no team would take Halak. Given his recent performance he is worse than a replacement-level goalie that most teams have in their system or could acquire easily, without taking on Halak's contract that comes with a significant penalty in the form of a bonus. The Canucks would have retain his bonus giving them even more dead money for next year. Even then, I don't think the Canucks give him away. They would have to pay to get someone to take him. 

Motte- 2nd, or 3rd and B prospect ( I bet he signs back as a UFA)

Motte is playing well and is a good bottom six forward. As a pure rental a guy like that usually gets traded  for a third round pick OR a b prospect, not both. (Remember Hansen and Burroughs for both traded for B prospects and they were better than Motte.) Motte could be part of a package. 

Chiasson- Late pick.

Chiasson was signed after a PTO and is a replacement level player. Any team in the league could have signed him as a UFA last summer and no-one. I don't how his play this year has raised his value. He is okay as a replacement level player,  but that is about it. Almost every team has guys like him in their system. I wouldn't rule out a 6th or 7th round pick, but I doubt if he has any trade value. .  

Boeser- 1st and RHD prospect

I like Boeser and he is a good player, But his qualifying offer is significantly higher than his value which severely limits his trade value. If the Canucks get a first for him I think they would be happy. If he was on a reasonable contract he would be worth more. Yes, Toffoli generated a first plus more, but he is on a good contract for two more years. 

Prior to Draft:

Horvat- 1st and top prospect

Not likely. A first OR a top prospect maybe. Maybe a first and a b prospect, but no way team is giving up two high grade assets for Horvat. Horvat is good but not that good.   

Myers- 2nd and prospect

Not far off. Myers has been playing well under Boudreau which has raised his trade value. Before that I would say he was untradeable unless the Canucks retained salary. At present I think he might be worth a second round pick and a prospect -- but not a great prospect. 

One general theme here is that one reason the Canucks have not been able to do anything meaningful as deadline sellers in the recent past is that Benning has generally overpaid for players (not always, but more often than not) and that makes them hard to trade. Miller of course is on a great contract, but he came in with that contract. And I agree that the Hughes and Demko contracts are very good (not that those guys are going anywhere). 

If the Canucks make the decision to sell I think the likeliest big moves are:

1. Miller would be worth a lot -- a first and a good roster player or a first and a top prospect, may even a first, a good roster player and a B prospect. Or maybe two good young players. I have visions of Miller maybe bundled with Schenn  to NY for Lafreniere and Schneider and maybe a second round pick. 

2. I think Boeser could get a first OR a top prospect OR a good but cheaper roster player and the Canucks need the cap space that his QO would take.  

• Upvote 2

Build from the net out.

Demko

? or Martin

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Myers

? - ?

Burroughs

Rathbone

? - Miller (re-sign $8.5 x 5) - ?

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Hoglander - ? - ?

Highmore - Lammikko - Motte

Bailey

I'd like them to sign (LW) Andrei Kuzmenko.

Trade:  Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Horvat, Dickinson, Hamonic and Poolman

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

hes had a rib injury since preseason i think.  you dont recover from those during the season.  we wont see the Horvat we know until hes had a summer off.  

I haven't heard this. Source?

It would certainly explain a lot.

Most likely we could not be the payoff team. We will make some trades before TDL.

Bo or JT - the management will trade one of them, I guess Bo and put JT as the new capitan.

Broser and Garland -  Both will be put into the trading list.

Motte line - this is a very good 4th line, we prefer to keep it.

We need to replace wingers and some third line players.

Dmen - Keep Huges, Myers, and Schenn.   Find a solid physical RD.

Goalie - No one will consider to move Demko.  Martin is a good back-up.

Halak -  will be moved.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Let’s hypothetically say, for argument’s sake, that management is indeed proactively looking to hear offers for anyone not named Hughes, Pettersson and Demko. 

People won’t like this but that very much sounds like a rebuild. 

Which is what we need. Crappy NHL team with no prospects

4 hours ago, rekker said:

I'd be shocked if Bo is traded before a Miller extension is inked. I love Bo, I want him a Canuck forever. But if Miller is resigned, Bo will probably be moved. My crystal ball has Bo extended and Miller traded. But my crystal ball sucks. 

So does Bo most of the time 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

I would genuinely be shocked if Myers gets us a 2nd and a prospect, especially if we dont retain salary

Also would be surprised if the surgery is that deep, that would mean a full on rebuild.

My guess is they do more minor tinkering and move/unload:
Boeser (slow foot speed, JR wants speed), Myers (one good year has played himself into having some trade value, but still a gaffe machine), Pearson (he's been good the past couple games but still just too slow and bad hands), Dickinson (obviously), Poolman.

That'll free up 17-18m to work with, provide plenty of room for Millers extension, to get a more defensively responsible blueliner in Myers' place, find a faster top 6 forward, and rethink the penalty kill. 

if we have to retain, better off keeping myers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sorta' feels like Bo & Brock are playing themselves towards a lesser return.

Should Van receive good offers, might have to move.

Yeah Bo's 3 goals and 4 points in the last 5 games is definitely tanking his value calculating the hangover GIF

Edited by coryberg

Would had preferred, Boeser to not be in the list, due to his age but I understand.  Hopefully, they put him, in the bottom of the trade list; and it makes sense to put anyone above 25 (not named Demko), to be on the market, whilst, Demko is at the beginning of his extension.

Hoping Jr & crew, can get good value on all the assets: rhd prospects & picks in the upcoming deep drafts.

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

If this isn't a rumour and they are letting it leak out, it could end up having a divisive effect on the team.

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Maybe. But things like this don't leak for no reason. Interesting times. 

They have been talking with 31 other teams. Of course rumors are going to leak out safe bet they are not coming from Jim and Alvin, Friedman talks to everyone in the business.

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wouldn't mind getting (RD) Severson from NJ

Zacha and Severson for Boeser and Poolman seems like a deal you can make regardless of whether we think I we are in the playoffs or not.  It makes us stronger in the short term and saves us cap in the long term.

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I want Bo to remain a Canuck forever. 

I still think Miller goes before Bo. Miller will also cost more to sign, I don’t think Bo will cost nearly as much. 

Dramce was saying Bo has numbers that show he’s a better centre than Miller.  Petey and Bo as or top two centres is better than having Miller.  Miller is gone.  And he should be.  

I hope we are able to move out other pieces to shed cap other than Miller (unless the offer blows Alvin's socks off)!

ie. Dickinson, Poolman, Hamonic.

If we need to move a F out other than JD, I think it should be Boeser as his QO is just too much for what he brings to this team.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dramce was saying Bo has numbers that show he’s a better centre than Miller.  Petey and Bo as or top two centres is better than having Miller.  Miller is gone.  And he should be.  

Yeah. And there is no indication that Miller will sign long term here in Vancouver. Bo wants to be here as a Canuck. I remember him saying that public (not in the exact same words I’ve written out). Miller’s been silent about that. 

And is there a reason for why JT has never been a captain anywhere in his career? 

Edited by N4ZZY