The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Management are done team assessment, Demko, Hughes, Pettersson only untouchables

The Canucks have goaltending in Demko, they still need a good backup. Spencer Martin?

I'd like the Canucks to really improve the D. Maybe that means trading Hamonic and Poolman, and possibly Boeser, Horvat, Garland and/or Pearson.

Imagine Demko with this D in front of him:

OEL - Carlo

Hughes - Severson

K. Miller - Myers

Maybe they also pick up Lysell or Kravtsov, as examples. Great goaltending and D can go a long way. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

On 650 yesterday Drance was saying in his last 20 games Petey has top 10 in the league numbers (driving offence and defensive too) in the league.  Petey is back to playing like a franchise, 200 foot, centre.  Drance said Bo rates out as a very good number two centre.  He said Miller has bad underlying numbers as a centre, but good as a winger.  

This is why we need  Miller and Pete on a line together. Miller can handle the aspects that are weaknesses for Pete and vice versa. They are complementary players. I really think we are a 3c away from being a competitive team. 

Pete Miller Pod

Pearson Bo Garland

Hoglander Sutter Dickinson

Motte Juho Highmore 

Unfortunately Sutter couldn't be a part of this season. My hope is that Brock can bring us a legit 3c preferably right handed with PK chopps and hopefully a pick or a shut down LHD.

How close are Brock and the Hughes bro's in NJ. To my knowledge they don't have a right shot in their top 6. I'd be all over Macleod + Siegenthaler for Brock.

Admitted Sens fan Highonhockey in the draft thread wants to do the Sens 1st for Brock I'd also be all over that if we're out of the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Laine is what Boeser should have been.

since his accident with his back, he has never been a shooter anymore, and found some succes in a playmaker rôle. We still need a pure sniper. 
we can try to get Laine for Boeser, Pearson as cap dump, and we need a sweetener. But this is the pb. Laine is’nt signed and could walk away, or could demand way to much.  So every thing higher than a 3rd would be a no go. I prefer taking my chance with Forsberg, although he s older, for a 8,5M range. 

To be fair you are comparing a top-3 pick who was ranked at #1 midway through his draft season to a low 1st rounder. BB is nice and was nice at UND, but he was NEVER close to Laine. BB would be a great 2nd line winger on most teams, but just has not seemed to truly click on our roster for some reason (injuries aside). 

Edited by Odjick29willkillyou
Misspelled word

Regardless, of what happens with the roster moving forward - it will be up to Boudreau & staff, to find the best line combinations.  Good chance, the coaching will be consulted, on the current roster.  If Allvin, is able to get any futures: I hope they would focus, on Abby cause without a developmental plan, any prospects will eventually regressed. Personally, I could care less about the record at Abby - as long, as the team has a bunch of prospects learning to win & compete together, instead of a bunch of AHL lifers. 

Just read an article, about the Kings rebuild (took almost 8-10yrs) and Blake talked alot about having a good developmental plan, once the prospect is acquired.

46 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Canucks need a Duchene like return for Miller.  Just not sure it’s out there for them. 

1st, 2nd, 3rd, Girard, Bowers, Kamanev

Seems steep?  Only player to work out so far is Girard….

food for thought. 

That first became Bowen Byram though (I think)? That kid is a heck of a player when he's not injured.

9 hours ago, mll said:

They can already sign an extension now.  The qualifying offer process is several months aways.  The QOs have to be issued by 11 July this year and the window for acceptance is between 13 and 22 July.  

Makes you wonder if there is something that's hindering talks. Seems too quiet, there's nothing to report, or at least we haven't heard any leaks.

34 minutes ago, hammertime said:

This is why we need  Miller and Pete on a line together. Miller can handle the aspects that are weaknesses for Pete and vice versa. They are complementary players. I really think we are a 3c away from being a competitive team. 

Pete Miller Pod

Pearson Bo Garland

Motte Juho Highmore 

Unfortunately Sutter couldn't be a part of this season. My hope is that Brock can bring us a legit 3c preferably right handed with PK chopps and hopefully a pick or a shut down LHD.

How close are Brock and the Hughes bro's in NJ. To my knowledge they don't have a right shot in their top 6. I'd be all over Macleod + Siegenthaler for Brock.

Admitted Sens fan Highonhockey in the draft thread wants to do the Sens 1st for Brock I'd also be all over that if we're out of the playoffs. 

In the Boeser proposal thread, I proposed Boeser for Bodqvist and Seiganthaler but was shut down. Lindy Ruff loves Seiganthaler and has him top d pair and top shut down guy. Also Jersey is working towards a better skating team as us. On hfboards a lot of Jersey fans would rather Garland instead. Garland+ for Bodqvist( speed and skill management wants) and Shakir Muk. Also Jersey has been playing Mercer top 6 rw. Our new analytics use to be analytics in Jersey and she trashed MacLeod. Great faceoff guy and right shot though. 

If Miller wants a max contract hes gone, Miller, Myers and Schenn for Carlo, Debrusk, Studnicka as a base.

Boeser for Vilardi(not sure on skating) and Grans

Halak, pearson, motte, chiasson, hamonic, poolman for picks

Bodqvist Petey ?

Debrusk Bo Pods

Hogs Studnicka Vilardi

Dickinson Juho High

Hughes Carlo

Oel Grans

Muk Burroughs

Rathbone Juulsen

Demko

Martin 

Sportnet had an amateur scout on.  Thinks Canucks will be sellers.  Thinks Boeser will be the player traded out.  Thinks team needs to build around Miller but could restock the cupboards if he is traded.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Pete Miller Pod

Pearson Bo Garland

Motte Juho Highmore 

Sutter? He's career is likely over and even if he's back, he's not a 3C anymore.

I see Bo as a 2C/3C at this point. The only way he generates offence is via counter attack and PP, which is fine if he is elite defensive center. But he isn't.

EP and Miller don't work well anymore. EP needs the puck on his stick and Miller needs the puck on his stick.

I'd be fine with Miller-EP as 1A/1B centers with EP eventually taking over the 1C role if Miller re-signs.

If Miller does re-sign, we won't be able to afford Horvat, so there needs to be a trade and we need to find a replacement.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Boknows08 said:

In the Boeser proposal thread, I proposed Boeser for Bodqvist and Seiganthaler but was shut down. Lindy Ruff loves Seiganthaler and has him top d pair and top shut down guy. Also Jersey is working towards a better skating team as us. On hfboards a lot of Jersey fans would rather Garland instead. Garland+ for Bodqvist( speed and skill management wants) and Shakir Muk. Also Jersey has been playing Mercer top 6 rw. Our new analytics use to be analytics in Jersey and she trashed MacLeod. Great faceoff guy and right shot though. 

If Miller wants a max contract hes gone, Miller, Myers and Schenn for Carlo, Debrusk, Studnicka as a base.

Boeser for Vilardi(not sure on skating) and Grans

Halak, pearson, motte, chiasson, hamonic, poolman for picks

Bodqvist Petey ?

Debrusk Bo Pods

Hogs Studnicka Vilardi

Dickinson Juho High

Hughes Carlo

Oel Grans

Muk Burroughs

Rathbone Juulsen

Demko

Martin 

Interesting I would like to know where you heard Rachel Doerrie trach Macleod. From my perspective he hasn't lived up to 24OA expectations offensively but from what I have seen is more than capable in a shut down role. 

I would not trade Garland for Boqvist. 

Gabe Vilardi  isn't really what we need. I might drop the hammer on Brock for Helenius + Grans but I guess that would fully depend on if LA feels they have a run in them. 

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

Canucks need a Duchene like return for Miller.  Just not sure it’s out there for them. 

1st, 2nd, 3rd, Girard, Bowers, Kamanev

Seems steep?  Only player to work out so far is Girard….

food for thought. 

Any return for Miller is less than Miller.

He is now a superstar and I would re-sign him and trade Horvat and make Miller captain.

Thats the type of character that leads teams to Cups. 

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Sutter? He's career is likely over and even if he's back, he's not a 3C anymore.

I see Bo as a 2C/3C at this point. The only way he generates offence is via counter attack and PP, which is fine if he is elite defensive center. But he isn't.

EP and Miller don't work well anymore. EP needs the puck on his stick and Miller needs the puck on his stick.

I'd be fine with Miller-EP as 1A/1B centers with EP eventually taking over the 1C role if Miller re-signs.

If Miller does re-sign, we won't be able to afford Horvat, so there needs to be a trade and we need to find a replacement.

Re Sutter did you read my post? 

Your take on Bo is just plain wrong. He is not a defensive C which is why we need a 3C that can manage those duties to allow Bo to play to his strengths he's been miscast his whole career basically. 

Agree to disagree on Pete Miller lack of fit. Regardless EP isn't gonna be a 1C with a 42% FO win rate averaging 10 or fewer faceoffs a game. 

We can afford both Miller and Horvat if we trade Brock for futures. 

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Interesting I would like to know where you heard Rachel Doerrie trach Macleod. From my perspective he hasn't lived up to 24OA expectations offensively but from what I have seen is more than capable in a shut down role. 

I would not trade Garland for Boqvist. 

Gabe Vilardi  isn't really what we need. I might drop the hammer on Brock for Helenius + Grans but I guess that would fully depend on if LA feels they have a run in them. 

It was mentioned on hfboards and there was a link attached. Not sure which thread it was though. I would have liked MacLeod as well being right shot, great on face offs and also take pressure off of Bo but this has me second guessing. 

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Re Sutter did you read my post? 

Your take on Bo is just plain wrong. He is not a defensive C which is why we need a 3C that can manage those duties to allow Bo to play to his strengths he's been miscast his whole career basically. 

Agree to disagree on Pete Miller lack of fit. Regardless EP isn't gonna be a 1C with a 42% FO win rate averaging 10 or fewer faceoffs a game. 

We can afford both Miller and Horvat if we trade Brock for futures. 

Sorry, apparently I didn't finish reading your post regarding Sutter :) But I still stand by my point that, even if he's back, he's not a 3C anyways.

Disagreeing is fine. I disagree with your take on Bo. He doesn't generate offence consistently to be viewed as a reliable 2C. 

The problem is that Bo is NOT a defensive C (I think we agree on this). If he were an elite defensive C, I'd be happy with him as 2C because he still generates 50-60 points on counter attack and PP. 

Basically, if Bo is elite defensively like Kesler, I'd be happy with Bo as a 2C. Kesler put up 50-60 points but his primary role was to make life difficult for the opposition's best players.

EP and Miller have looked terrible for a while now. There's a reason why they never stick whenever they are put together. They played well for 2/3 of a season in 2020. Since then, it's never worked whenever they were put together. EP has looked dynamite as of late running his own line.

FO% can improve over time. It is not a major hindrance to becoming a 1C. By that logic, McDavid should never be a center, he was terrible at it. This is McDavid's FO numbers since he came into the league:

We need a scoring winger. If Brock is traded, we need another sniper to replace him anyways. That's why I don't think we can afford all three centers. I'd love for it to happen though.

12 hours ago, wildcam said:

You could sign Boeser to 4yrs X 6.5 Avg cap hit ..The 1st yr has to be the 7.5 million then average would be say 6.4 -6.8 after 4 yrs he is only 29...

10 hours ago, mll said:

His upcoming contract can be structured however they want - there's no such thing as the 1st year needing to be 7.5M because of his QO.  

The QO is a process to retain a players' rights.  It's a 1-year deal that is open for acceptance during a 10 day window or so.  Most of the time players just ignore the QO and negotiate a contract instead.  In the case of Boeser, the QO is so high that there is the risk he elects to sign it - Laine signed his.  

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

well, if Brock signs that 7.5M, then it's basically signaling the end of his time in blue and green.

Yes Boeser could sign a multi-year deal at any time. However, he has a strong incentive to wait for his QO.

If the Canucks decide not to qualify him, he becomes a UFA and can sign anywhere he wants, maybe to the highest bidder, maybe to Minny, or maybe he stays in Vancouver. He loses very little by waiting to see if Vancouver qualifies him.

IF the Canucks do qualify him he gets a very high salary for next year and will be in pretty much the same (good) position a year from now.

If the Canucks trade him, he can wait for the acquiring team to make him a QO. And wherever he goes is likely to be in a jurisdiction with lower taxes and lower housing costs. And that team will need to pay him 7.5 the following year or let him become a UFA. 

If Boeser wants, he can guarantee that he gets 7.5 million each year until he becomes a UFA.

There is not much incentive to sign a multi-year deal with a lower cap hit before his QO is due. Whatever Vancouver offers now they would probably offer again if he becomes a UFA. 

The only slight leverage Vancouver has is that Boeser would probably like to stay in Vancouver and might be willing to leave something on the table to stay in Vancouver rather than being traded and therefore might sign a multi-year deal at a lower cap hit than 7.5 million. But not much lower, and I think that is unlikely in any case.  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, khay said:

Sorry, apparently I didn't finish reading your post regarding Sutter :) But I still stand by my point that, even if he's back, he's not a 3C anyways.

Disagreeing is fine. I disagree with your take on Bo. He doesn't generate offence consistently to be viewed as a reliable 2C. 

The problem is that Bo is NOT a defensive C (I think we agree on this). If he were an elite defensive C, I'd be happy with him as 2C because he still generates 50-60 points on counter attack and PP. 

Basically, if Bo is elite defensively like Kesler, I'd be happy with Bo as a 2C. Kesler put up 50-60 points but his primary role was to make life difficult for the opposition's best players.

EP and Miller have looked terrible for a while now. There's a reason why they never stick whenever they are put together. They played well for 2/3 of a season in 2020. Since then, it's never worked whenever they were put together. EP has looked dynamite as of late running his own line.

FO% can improve over time. It is not a major hindrance to becoming a 1C. By that logic, McDavid should never be a center, he was terrible at it. This is McDavid's FO numbers since he came into the league:

We need a scoring winger. If Brock is traded, we need another sniper to replace him anyways. That's why I don't think we can afford all three centers. I'd love for it to happen though.

Re Bo his 10 playoff goals leading all players until well after the canucks were eliminated would beg to differ. I agree something is off with him this year though.  

Hmm interesting that Mcdavids %kept increasing Pete's has not. 

Re Pete Miller thats fair maybe the solution is to have Pete with Bo then the offence can run through Pete's stick with Bo in the bumper?  

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Re Bo his 10 playoff goals leading all players until well after the canucks were eliminated would beg to differ. I agree something is off with him this year though.  

Hmm interesting that Mcdavids %kept increasing Pete's has not. 

Re Pete Miller thats fair maybe the solution is to have Pete with Bo then the offence can run through Pete's stick with Bo in the bumper?  

Agree to disagree on Bo. I hope I'm wrong on him -- that this is just a down year for him.

Regarding Petey's FO% vs McDavid's... it's all about continuity. McDavid is a center and taking the next faceoff whether he won the previous one or not and no matter the game situation.

Petey's been moved around, Bo's wing, Miller's wing, Miller taking faceoffs for him, etc etc. He needs to continue to get the opportunity to work on it to improve.

Bo is a straight line player and not good at keeping the plays going. EP needs a player like Podz who can make plays.