The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Mar. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, J-P said:

Good point. I'm torn regarding trading Miller, but maybe it's resolving itself as he might me pricing himself out of reasonable trade offers.

I don't see JT being the  no 1 guy on this  team when we contend, but that's fine as that should be QH/EP/Demko anyway. Whether he wants to stay or not is of course an issue, but another one is that we have to clear cap to move forward. So if it's not JT at least one of Boeser, Horvat and Myers need to go. Would never have guessed  it before but right now a likely scenario would be Boeser traded at the deadline and Horvat this summer. This could change of course if Horvat finds his game again.

boeser is not being traded unless we r out of the race, and even then we dont have to trade him. we should be looking to trade players like OEL and dickinson, they are the worst cap offenders. now if brock wants more than 6 mil maybe we consider trading him, but i would look at the other two first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Dude is on pace to have a top ten season in Canucks history in terms of production. You don't trade that away unless someone pays up the wazoo.

He's literally having one of the best seasons in franchise history. Doesn't seem like some folk are quite understanding that, or the effect that moving him will have on the team. 

Exactly. All these experts who want to trade Miller for a player, a pick and a prospect fail to realize that none of those guys replacing JT's scoring, leadership and energy is going to be possible, either in the short term or in the longer term. Quite simply, trading Miller this season would signal to fans and sponsors that the Canucks have given up on this season. If the team gives up, then they can't complain when the fans give up, too. When fans give up caring, revenues fall.

10 minutes ago, khay said:

We can always sell in the offseason when we have more info. We won't get as much back for a player like Miller but it's better than making a mistake of trading a player too soon and miss out on what could have been something special.

For example, if this team not only makes the playoffs but pulls St. Louis 2019 or even reaches WCF? Then, the talk of retooling needs to change.

I think management needs to give this team a chance to make a playoff push and make decisions in the summer depending on the results.

Ditto and there patient approach seems to indicate, they will see how far JBs' current roster, will go.  Then re assess, in the offseason by focusing on freeing some cap. 

Preferably, they get more picks for the upcoming draft by selling in the TDL and not selling on futures to add an expensive rental 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Schneider, Chytil and a 1st would be my minimum accepted price.

Yep, that was the price two weeks ago. Like stocks, player value fluctuates.

Given how close we are to the playoffs and Miller being in a beast mode now, Chytil needs to be upgraded to Laff for me.

Schneider, Laff, 1st.

If we make the playoffs with Miller in beast mode, Demko, and Petey in form.. add in Bo the playoff beast Horvat and Hughes the maestro... I don't think anyone wants to face us.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

boeser is not being traded unless we r out of the race, and even then we dont have to trade him. we should be looking to trade players like OEL and dickinson, they are the worst cap offenders. now if brock wants more than 6 mil maybe we consider trading him, but i would look at the other two first.

I don't think management wants to give Boeser his QO. So if an extension isn't signed by TDL I don't really see any other way. I don't think Boeser brings enough scoring and/or value for 6 mil either, so even though I like him as a person I would be fine for trading him for a lesser player (defensive LD or winger maybe) with a lesser cap hit to gain cap space (I know others disagree which is fine).

We would likely have to pay to trade Dickinson as a cap dump, if not I agree he should go. OEL is more complex. He would leave a huge hole and immediately expose QH, Hunt and Myers more if not replaced, and though he has been good and could bring much more offensively with other deployment I don't see many takers for his contract and cap hit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, khay said:

Yep, that was the price two weeks ago. Like stocks, player value fluctuates.

Given how close we are to the playoffs and Miller being in a beast mode now, Chytil needs to be upgraded to Laff for me.

Schneider, Laff, 1st.

If we make the playoffs with Miller in beast mode, Demko, and Petey in form.. add in Bo the playoff beast Horvat and Hughes the maestro... I don't think anyone wants to face us.

Which of these three Rags has the higher ceiling and most potential to become as good as Miller?

Laugher,

Crappo

Chital

Edited by Alflives

18 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

is we continue at our BB pace of .6875% and vegas continues at thier .589% pace we will miss the playoffs by one point. this is not in the bag

Are we just ignoring the 2 WC spots? Nashville, Dallas, Oilers all catchable. Also this projecting the win percentage needed doesn’t take into account any of the other teams dropping a couple games here or there. Seems to only be based on everyone playing at their current pace, which doesn’t happen. There’s still 25-28 games left for everyone. There will be some losing (and win streaks in there). It’s very doable. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Not necessarily would we to pay to dump. (horrid wording). He is a center and maybe when the deadline gets yet closer, a team or two that have themselves confirmed

into the playoffs and has cap to add, they could snag him for a late round pick just for insurance. Maybe someone gets injured on said team.  You never know. 

I don't think we need to give up an asset to dump Dickinson even if no one is interested in trading for him.

2.65 mil cap hit for 2 more seasons. That's not going to break out back especially if we are going the route of retool for the next 2 seasons.

The only reason we need to give up an asset to dump him would be if we are closer to the cup than we think and that there is no need for a major retool of the roster -- say, we win the cup or reach WCF this season. That's highly unlikely... I'd rather just eat up Dickinson for 2 more seasons while we go through a retool.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I like the Schnieder kid.  But Laugher or Crappo are big gambles is we are hoping one of them to get even close to Miller level.  

The return from Miller must include a young forward with Miller's current level as his ceiling.  I don't see that in Laugher or Crappo.  Although, when Miller was that age he was bouncing up and down to the AHL.  Maybe Laugher could be like Miller but I don't think he has Miller's skill (hands) or vision.  Maybe not 

Laf does alf. The rags do have a problem of developing their prospects though. If we cant get laf or schneider for miller, then we should go for jones as the piece for our d and othman. We can draft chesly, casey, or even lamoreux to fill the right side.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Are we just ignoring the 2 WC spots? Nashville, Dallas, Oilers all catchable. Also this projecting the win percentage needed doesn’t take into account any of the other teams dropping a couple games here or there. Seems to only be based on everyone playing at their current pace, which doesn’t happen. There’s still 25-28 games left for everyone. There will be some losing (and win streaks in there). It’s very doable. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Yes, the 2 WC spots are available. But I would love for us to catch Vegas and moreover, ,Vegas to miss the playoffs.

I'm looking forward to seeing them panic when we pass them (say we beat them on the home-and-home game early in April) and them scrambling to find ways to fit Stone back in their line up. What kind of BS they will come up with this time? Which poor player or two will go on an LTIR for lingering injuries?

26 minutes ago, khay said:

Yes, the 2 WC spots are available. But I would love for us to catch Vegas and moreover, ,Vegas to miss the playoffs.

I'm looking forward to seeing them panic when we pass them (say we beat them on the home-and-home game early in April) and them scrambling to find ways to fit Stone back in their line up. What kind of BS they will come up with this time? Which poor player or two will go on an LTIR for lingering injuries?

And we don't have many games left against the teams that we could realistically catch, but we do have three left against Vegas.  Those will he HUGE games for us.

• Cheers 2

Another solid win against a top tier team. Miller, Boeser, Hamonic all with multi pt performances. Pearson, Chiasson and Motte got on the board as well. Demko with another sensational display between the pipes. Let’s keep it going next time around. We’re breathing down Vegas’ and Deadmonton’ necks. GCG!

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And we don't have many games left against the teams that we could realistically catch, but we do have three left against Vegas.  Those will he HUGE games for us.

Let's start bubble wrapping Demko. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

Our winning percentage with BB is .688.

Only team in the West with a higher percentage is the Avs.

And our goalie is a lot better than theirs.  Be an interesting series, considering.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1