The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 11, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If a goalie is stopping pucks at .880 then he's not winning many games and will be out of the league.  That's fact.  Demko needs to be better, and he will be.  But to think .880 is even decent goaltending isn't being realistic.  God that's Leaf, Soiler, and Av's goaltending bad.  And those guys are the worst.  (Loser players and fans too)

Every good goaltender has plenty of games where they have save percentages at or below 900. Vasilevskiy has 13 games this season at or below 900 and he's won 6 of those games. 

The team in front makes a big difference too. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The back to back champs are never a very winnable game.

They can win with anyone in net and we have to treat them that way.

This will take a full 60 minutes and not the 20 minutes they played last game.

IMO we have a better chance than usual with them coming off a back to back and Vasilievskiy struggling lately but he can steal a game like Demko.

Yes we will need to play a full 60 and it will be exciting to see how we stack up vs the champs.

6 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Remember he was wincing during a game where it appeared he may have..pulled his groin? Something.

He's got to be feeling a bit of wear and tear for sure. Even when he's not at 100% he's still a guy who gives us every opportunity to win games.

Top 5 goalie for sure. Especially if you look at Goals saved below expected and high danger scoring chance save percentage. Luongoesque play.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

And more push back from the forwards too. I'd like to see a little less finesse and more North/South crease crashing grit. Washington's big boys rattled the Nucks from puck drop until the mid way through the 3rd and we had little answer. If Brock doesn't want to use his big body to check, I say let's upgrade on the size and speed chart--if we can. Anyway, it was a fun yet frustrating game to watch. Meaningful games in March is awesome. GCG 

Yeah we got a tough checker with DiGuseppe but never use him. Green opted for finesse too, maybe the optics of putting in less skilled tougher players doesn't suit pro coaches. 

Us sideline heroes want more Smyl gnash than Finnish flash. 

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Canucks OT Record in 2021-2022.....up to the OT loss to the Caps.  Record is 6 wins, 7 losses.  Canucks has lost 5 out of 6 in their last  6 OT games.

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=canucks+ot+record+in+2021-22

Remember Myers dumping and changing in OT?  

That tells you all you need to know about the Canucks OT strategy this season.

Also I believe the one win came on a delayed penalty call so a 4 on 3 advantage. 

48 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Remember Myers dumping and changing in OT?  

That tells you all you need to know about the Canucks OT strategy this season.

Also I believe the one win came on a delayed penalty call so a 4 on 3 advantage. 

That was so bad.  Where do I buy that hat he had?

Edited by Chris12345

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

True... and only one way to find out... Nobody gave Nucks a chance during the bubble run, and even though they were eventually beaten by Vegas, they almost made it to the conference final, so you never know. Boston beat us in 2011, despite us being huge favourites...

Got to buy a ticket to win it, and the only way we know, how the team stacks up against the others in post season games, are by playing post season games...

And yes, if they make it, they'll come in hot, which should be a massive advantage.

I remember during, the Vegas series when Boeser was robbed late in game 7, before the Knights scored the winner.

Hoping JR and crew will stick JBs' roster and not add a rental, for futures.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I remember during, the Vegas series when Boeser was robbed late in game 7, before the Knights scored the winner.

agree... lets run with the horses available, and see what we got... then make the decisions afterwards...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Aren't we winning at about a .700 clip with BB as our coach.  Sure there was the new coach bump at first, but the guys have been very good all along.  I'm hoping too we don't make any changes.  Even Motte should stay.  He's worth way more than a second round pick to us playing to the end of the year than trading him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Motte is having a career year... he is scoring and putting up points and also playing well defensively.

Trading him for a second or third rounder makes no sense at all.

Signing him for a 3 year extension at around 2.5 mil right now is what makes sense.

Absolutely we should be extending Motte with exactly that contract.  But Benning traded to get Dickinson and gave him that very same contract.  Ugg. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Aren't we winning at about a .700 clip with BB as our coach.  Sure there was the new coach bump at first, but the guys have been very good all along.  I'm hoping too we don't make any changes.  Even Motte should stay.  He's worth way more than a second round pick to us playing to the end of the year than trading 

The patient approach of the front office, seems to indicate - any roster tweaking will happen in the offseason - which imo, is the right approach.   Unless, the players are named: Dickenson & Halak.

It has really been fun watching them play meaningful games, for a change.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely we should be extending Motte with exactly that contract.  But Benning traded to get Dickinson and gave him that very same contract.  Ugg. 

If there is a trade, that they should be focusing in on, in the TDL is to find both Halak & Dickenson a new home; and use the savings to sign the 4th line, for a few years.

Gone are the days, of overpaid great intangibles players that cannot score - hopefully.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Motte is having a career year... he is scoring and putting up points and also playing well defensively.

Trading him for a second or third rounder makes no sense at all.

Signing him for a 3 year extension at around 2.5 mil right now is what makes sense.

I can trade Miller but not Motte. 

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I can trade Miller but not Motte. 

Can’t we keep both please? 

I was listening to Donnie & Dhali and some misinformed person texted in that players like Motte are a dime a dozen. From my many years of watching hockey (and playing beer league), that is so wrong.

I wish we had a few more Mottes on the team. He drives that 4th line and I think he has helped Lammiko and Highmore improve their game. I love that 4th line as does Boudreau.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1