The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Auston Matthews suspended 2 games

Rate this topic

What a feeble, lying excuse, "I was aiming for his shoulder", yeah Undies, have a look at the replay from the side, both your shoulders rise up and launch (both hands on*) your stick up and over his shoulders and into his neck.  (*Unlike penalty called on Schenn for the one-handed two-hand crosscheck last night.)

Spoiled, entitled, Brat, thinking what worked as a child would work in pro sports.

I can't stop laughing at him today.  Ha Ha!  Ha ha ha ha ha Ha!

Ha Ha!  Ha ha ha ha ha Ha!     Ha Ha!  Ha ha ha ha ha Ha!

Just drop the mitts  ...  and not your Pampers.   Ha Ha!  Ha ha ha ha ha Ha!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 2

Deserved suspension sure, but watch the whole play.

If the refs step in at any point in the scrum leading up to this and give a penalty, this doesn't happen. Player's will continue to escalate if the refs don't penalize them.

16 minutes ago, Caboose said:

If the refs step in at any point in the scrum leading up to this and give a penalty, this doesn't happen. Player's will continue to escalate if the refs don't penalize them.

If you need a ref to step in and stop you from two handing a guy in the ear hole, maybe you shouldn't be on the ice. During that scrum Matthews had the opportunity to skate away when Dahlin had turned back towards the play, but he didn't. He went back to reengage Dahlin and gave him a dangerous cross check to the head area. There were a 100 other things Matthews could have done there to get his point across that would not have ended in a deserved suspension. 

This would be like blaming a police officer (or maybe the bartender) for not stopping you from getting an assault charge after hitting someone in a bar. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Caboose said:

BS

Crease battles happen all the time and it's NOT ok to have a hissy fit and go for a guy's neck.

I did watch the whole thing...that's exactly what happens every game in front of the net...except what Matthews did.

image.png

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

You can see the way Matthews goes after Dahlen, that he is furious.  He pulls his stick back and leaps towards Dahlen; targetting his neck.

If this happened away from the ice, it would be called assault.  Control your freaking temper, Leaf poster boy.

Yep, when Bert reacted, well.....  Retaliation with emotion has to be kept in check.

This could have inflicted serious damage...a solid (angry) two hander to the neck.  

And no, the refs didn't step in because up to that point, it was a clean crease battle. If anything, Matthews initiated with a proper "crosscheck" before Dahlin pushed him. Absolutely 100% on Matthews. Can't do that.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

38 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Should have been 5.

Look on the bright side: he got two more games than any Leaf fan thought he deserved. Isn't much, but it's something.

38 minutes ago, GB5 said:

That was intentional and dangerous. There is no place for uncontrolled temper tantrums in hockey.

There have always been uncontrolled temper tantrums in hockey. Always will be. If there weren't, there would be no need for a Department of Player Safety. I'm not condoning it in any way, but in a fast, physical game fouls will be committed and tempers will flare. I'm just glad he got something.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Vicious attack that could've been really bad, could've ended a superstars career. Inexcusable to go for the neck/head area. I don't care how much of a star he is, he should be gone for 20 games. Set an example ffs.

They'll wait until a Canuck does it...

I thought maybe one game. Fine with two. AM is a first time offender and a Lady Bing type player. What I puke at is how the typical Leafs pundits are heralding this as a pivitol moment for AM. "He's turned a corner and is a changed hockey player". Please, win a puck battle, let's start there for AM as an aggressive player. Softest big star there is. 

• Cheers 1

Everyone (including Leafs fans) are okay with Matthews getting punished for this.  It is a dirty and dangerous play.  But why is this a suspension when other head-crosschecks haven't been punished?  Where is the... *consistency*??? What Matthews really should've done is slew-foot Dahlin, which the DoPS doesn't seem to care at all.

• Upvote 1