The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ducks trade Josh Manson to Avalanche for Drew Helleson, 2023 2nd-round pick

4 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I really think Byram for Miller will be the base for a trade, they kept their first as well. I could see both those assets for Miller retained.

Dunno about Byram because of his concussions, but I could easily see the Avs making a run at Miller. They've this season and next before MacKinnon gets a new deal, Miller's signed for both of those seasons. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

With COL loading up, maybe VAN's players become more desirable by other contending teams the closer we get to the TDL. VAN might receive some big offers over the weekend.

If the Canucks lose to the Devils (again) tomorrow, Allvin and JR might start thinking about next year. I hope so, because even if they make the playoffs, they're missing pieces to really contend.  I'd rather they take a step back, sell at the TDL, Draft well, sign the right UFAs in the summer and have a great training camp with Bruce.  A full season with Boudreau as coach could make a big difference. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I really think Byram for Miller will be the base for a trade, they kept their first as well. I could see both those assets for Miller retained.

I was wondering, as well, if a Boeser for Byram deal might not work for both teams.  High risk for Van, no doubt, but man could that be a massive win if it worked out for Byram

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno about Byram because of his concussions, but I could easily see the Avs making a run at Miller. They've this season and next before MacKinnon gets a new deal, Miller's signed for both of those seasons. 

Is there enough increase in return to make it worth to us to retain some on Miller?  If the return without retention is Jost, Barron, and a second and the return (with retention) is Newhook, Byram, and a first?  

21 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

there better be at least 2 additional first round picks with conditions around games played coming along with byram in any deal. 

that's not a die I have any interest in rolling.

Edited by tas
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there enough increase in return to make it worth to us to retain some on Miller?  If the return without retention is Jost, Barron, and a second and the return (with retention) is Newhook, Byram, and a first?  

I think retaining is something we'd be willing to do if it got management the pieces they want. Retaining would absolutely improve whatever return we got.

And really, retaining for 1.25 seasons isn't the end of the world. 

• Like 1

I think Manson is pretty over rated.  He is very similar to Schenn statistically.  

Helleson is an excellent prospect that I really wanted in Vancouver.  Him and Drysdale could make up a real good top four RD in a few years.

• Vintage 1

Very good move from ANA, tho it likely weakens their chances of hte post season, they wouldn't do a lot of damage if they got there- realistically what we should have done in 2020 with Tanev, Edler, Markstrom. Tho the benefit of hindsight is now strong - watch ANA pull ahead of us in the rebuild after only a few lean years to our many.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I think retaining is something we'd be willing to do if it got management the pieces they want. Retaining would absolutely improve whatever return we got.

And really, retaining for 1.25 seasons isn't the end of the world. 

It might be for some of us; I might not have quite your perspective, lol.

59 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

new hook + Barron + pick and I would take that, as we also gain a ton of flexibility new hook becomes 3C right away

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

new hook + Barron + pick and I would take that, as we also gain a ton of flexibility new hook becomes 3C right away

That'd be a big give, but Miller would go a long way to putting them over the top

He'd also be next season's Kadri replacement as it's unlikely they'll be able to retain him, dude likely wants to get paidddd

Miller would give em a cost controlled 2C or winger for this season and a 2C for next, a high end one no less 

Edited by Coconuts

5 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

It might be for some of us; I might not have quite your perspective, lol.

And that's fine.

But way I see it is we're already guaranteed to have 2.4M in dead cap next season anyway. That number jumps up to just under 4M unless we move Halak or find a way to free up some cap space so we can eat his bonus this season. After dealing with Luongo's cap recapture for years one more season of dead cap on the books in order to get a great return doesn't bother me. 

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

to me, miller makes more sense for them than Giroux, Giroux has a way higher cap hit and miller as many have mentioned, can replace Kadri in the offseason, 

Miller is a better player (now) than Giroux too.  Avs would get two Cup runs with Miller at his current cap.  that's huge.  

We get back a lot more if we retain too.

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

As exciting as a playoff push is, We really need to be sellers

Exactly this.

Seeing how this trade panned out, and how Manson at 50% got a 2nd and a prospect picked in the 40's, I wonder how Hamonic at $3 million cap, and 7 points in 21 games (2 points back of Manson in 24 fewer games) with a similar shutdown game and more mobility, couldn't at least yield a 3rd if we wanted to clear cap space.  Some team that wants to shore things up on the margins of the roster could take a swing if Travis agrees to waive his NTC.  Poolman's probably a harder sell given his lower totals and term on contract, but $2.5 million might also be easier to accommodate, but I wouldn't be surprised if we could get a 4th if we ate a million cap (which isn't the worst, with Bobby Lu's recapture coming off the books).

• Cheers 1