The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

He's a Toronto boy, through and through, and doesn't hide it well at times.

I'm pretty sure he has his Auston Matthews super hero costume on underneath his suit.

I've tried to be unbiased with him...but he doesn't always try to be. I'm tired of his takes and always taking jabs at "our" team.

Steve Dangle is surprisingly fair with his takes about other teams, and he's a huge fan of TO. On the other hand, people like Drance don't know how to keep their biases in check.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

I do find it especially glaring that certain posters who normally come out for Canucks losses don't appear when they win. They might say they don't want to look like pom-poms, but it's a bit hilarious that they're more than happy to criticize whenever there's an opportunity...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Steve Dangle is surprisingly fair with his takes about other teams, and he's a huge fan of TO. On the other hand, people like Drance don't know how to keep their biases in check.

Drance was born and raised in Vancouver.  Reporters are supposed to report only facts and remain neutral - being fan of the team they cover would disqualify them from being called reporters. 

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Are we still wondering if the 1st for Miller trade is still an overpayment? I thought fans here think that Benning sucks at trading/acquiring people? Benning left this team in a pretty good spot, but of course, the people who hated Benning will naturally praise JR for keeping the team intact. There's so much hypocrisy in the anti-Benning slant, that even someone who sees faults in both Benning/Green that we could be thought of as Benning bros. Truly dishonest takes from certain fans.

The Benning hate gives a really shocking revelation into the psychology of most people. They have zero sense of objectivity and really take on the mob/sheeple form of spreading hate and negativity towards the guy. His strengths get ignored or credited to other people and he's perpetually crucified for his mistakes. I also find it appalling at the amount of hate that's built on just hearsay, and not actual researched facts or circumstances about the events that took place regarding certain trades, signings and draft picks.

It's honestly embarrassing being a Canucks fan sometimes just on a human level. I'd hate to ever be employed by the team just based off of the toxicity the media and our own fans spread on a daily basis. No other fan base, besides maybe the Habs, comes close to this repulsive level. Anyways, cheers to the fans who look at the team and it's personnel through an unbiased, properly researched and humane lens, I hope along with the team our fan base also gets a rehabilitated look. 

24 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

He's a Toronto boy, through and through, and doesn't hide it well at times.

I'm pretty sure he has his Auston Matthews super hero costume on underneath his suit.

I've tried to be unbiased with him...but he doesn't always try to be. I'm tired of his takes and always taking jabs at "our" team.

Why is it so hard to find people to cover our team who are actual fans?

All we get is local sportswriters who are doom and gloom and then a bunch of castoffs from leafs media that aren’t good enough to cover them.

They all pretend that they’re just being objective but you can tell they enjoy when the teams losing more. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

While the team may have been constructed by Benning,  I think there's more than just Bruce stepping in that made this team better.  The new gm and staff have to evaluate all the players, and tell them what direction they want the team to go. Benning was poor at communicating,  and fired everyone so I'm thinking the message was lost along the way. 

One of the biggest differences in this team now is that they have a clearer vision of their end goals. And I just don't think Benning was the guy to align everything.  Which is too bad because I could see what his goals were but I don't think him and Green were ever on the same page.

6 hours ago, aznmonk said:

If Benning fired green. He would of still had a job.  It was a new voice, that ignited the room. 

This team doing well doesn't change the fact we have 0 way of improving this team. He put us in win-now mode and we won't be winning. Benning had to go. His approach was far too short sighted. His constructed team is having 1 good year after what, 8 of mediocrity? Thank you Jim for the talented players we have, but no thank you for a damn near decade of mediocrity. 

47 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Well, considering that it's still Benning's roster that is on display, the same one that was considered "poorly constructed" (according to Craig Button), I think Benning left us with a pretty workable team. Button goes on to say that BB plays to the team's strengths, which actually implies that Benning had a purpose for the team to score.

Why is there so much slant against Benning when credit is due, but so much praise for Green when it's undeserved? (The latter situation is largely not the case anymore, but the former is certainly still true). The issue is and was obviously Green, which is also, to an extent, part of Benning's responsibility.

It's obvious that some posters can find the fault of a former GM much more so than the fault of other people. This bias is pretty sickening really.

It was widely reported that Benning asked Green to deploy a defensive system with this team. It was also reported he wanted to hire Claude Julien instead of Bruce because of his defense-first systems.

So, no, Benning's vision for this team wasn't accurate. This team still has an immense amount of flaws. I agree Green was a large issue, but Benning is just as much to blame. Losing them both will be the best thing to happen.

I'm having a lot of fun watching this team play, and there is clearly talent there. We've got high end skill guys that can break a game. What we don't have is the complimentary pieces for those skill guys. We need to reconstruct an entire new 3rd line and 3-4 new NHL caliber defensmen. I still hope we make the playoffs and leave the moves to the offseason.

I suggest everyone here to watch a Florida Panther game. You'll realize how far this team truly is, and you'll see that we also show flashes of potential.

Edited by luongianone

45 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Well, considering that it's still Benning's roster that is on display, the same one that was considered "poorly constructed" (according to Craig Button), I think Benning left us with a pretty workable team. Button goes on to say that BB plays to the team's strengths, which actually implies that Benning had a purpose for the team to score.

Why is there so much slant against Benning when credit is due, but so much praise for Green when it's undeserved? (The latter situation is largely not the case anymore, but the former is certainly still true). The issue is and was obviously Green, which is also, to an extent, part of Benning's responsibility.

It's obvious that some posters can find the fault of a former GM much more so than the fault of other people. This bias is pretty sickening really.

I said it before and i'll say it again.

If Canucks make it to the playoffs. I will change my opinion of Benning from a bad GM to a below average one.

Even if the team makes the playoffs (which what we were all hoping before the season started) the question will be if Benning gave up too much of the future just for this season. So far the team is not yet in the playoff spot and if Canucks still miss the playoffs this would still be a disaster considering OEL's cap space and giving up draft picks.

54 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Are we still wondering if the 1st for Miller trade is still an overpayment? I thought fans here think that Benning sucks at trading/acquiring people? Benning left this team in a pretty good spot, but of course, the people who hated Benning will naturally praise JR for keeping the team intact. There's so much hypocrisy in the anti-Benning slant, that even someone who sees faults in both Benning/Green that we could be thought of as Benning bros. Truly dishonest takes from certain fans.

JT Miller was traded for Shakir Mukhamadullin (1st round pick), Hugo Alnefelt (3rd round pick) and Marek Mazanec.  

Yes that is not a typo...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Muttley said:

What impressed me most about this win is the way is that they didn't try and sit on a one goal lead in the third.  Great to see them go for the kill,

keep pushing the offence, even late in the game.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with padding the ole stats!  

I found it also very encouraging, they didn't get too down when they were being out played again by Jersey early in the game.

This time, they were able to stay focused and positive thus getting themselves right back in early.  Something they've been guilty of not doing 

at times, in particular, early in their season.  More good news from last nights game was the number of players who made positive contributions.

For the most part; everyone did their job !!  

68vtcr.jpg

A great win and yet, I still think Brock needs to up his game. If you're not getting scoring chances, at least throw the odd hit...

GCG

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, mll said:

Drance was born and raised in Vancouver.  Reporters are supposed to report only facts and remain neutral - being fan of the team they cover would disqualify them from being called reporters. 

Thing is every reporter and guy in hockey has their favourites.   Why we use Cheech also why he's so endearing to us as fans.    Can't help that.    Subscribed to the Hockey News now going on 3 decades almost 4... and every writer has their faves too.   Doesn't mean they can't create and make a mag and stories up to 42 times a year about what's current and make it fun for any fan of hockey either.     That said it does come out at times, where they are being honest...One senior writer wrote that about begging the powers that be to let Hull play in the Summit series when he was ten or so, wrote letters ... etc.   IF your from ONT you can bet you  want the Laughs to win, or maybe OTT.

Cherry's connection to the Bruins was obvious in 2011, but before that he wore our colours many times (Canadian Hockey and all of that).     BC isn't the center and never will be the center of the hockey universe.   The biggest city where the team plays doesn't have 40,000 outdoor rinks to play on.   Where it's cold every street has a rink ... and ponds, rivers etc get pumped so an ice surface is available for everyone for a couple months when it's minus 15-30, if not someone up or down the street has one in their backyard for months.... Hockey in BC is small town interior big ... but not lower mainland big in the same sense.   Can't fault these guys for it, most have lived it since they were 2-3 years old.    

12 hours ago, Devron said:

That’s my Captian! Time to start a streak! 

BoHovalich!

Bo streaking down the left wing and ripping a slapper just like the Big M used to do for the Habs back in the day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

"supposed to"

Look, he doesn't have to fluff our feathers or be a homer like me, but he also has to be accountable for his takes at some point, Not just climb on the bandwagon and ignore what he'd "projected" in the past.

Not good enough but he always puts the nearly in there. Leaf fan.

image.png

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Hockey in BC is small town interior big ... but not lower mainland big in the same sense.   Can't fault these guys for it, most have lived it since they were 2-3 years old.    

I wouldn't necessarily say this is true.

You didn't have to "have a rink" to have hockey. I grew up in Richmond and we played in frozen ditches and out on farm fields in the winter. 

I always remember hockey in my life (and football/lacrosse). There's no "ownership" to be claimed here...if your city had a team, you were all about hockey. And we were. My late teen years were spent walking up the west dyke to the Seafair hockey rink, where we spent most of our weekends. Then we moved on to 8 rinks later on. 

Thomas isn't special in that regard. Anyhow, he's shown enough of his TO bias for me to not really buy in. He's now clambering onto the bandwagon a bit...does he have a choice? He's not my favourite, we'll just leave it at that. I find him a little whiney and I prefer some others. Personal preference, that's all. Not sure how you'd try to sell me on someone who makes "do fans in Vancouver really think" statements about our team's hopelessness. Bruce talks of "winning the week" and Drancer's trying to sell off the season a couple months before it's over.

FTR: I don't believe Drance was involved in/played hockey? I recall reading he was a basketball/other sports guy, but I could be wrong?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1