The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks and Laffs (Liljegren)

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Should trade Miller for a 3rd and a prospect then.  Hughes for a 5th

Garland is VASTLY more valuable than Liljegren and to suggest moving him simply for cap space is ridiculous

I don't think u understand the economic landscape... Sometimes u have to bite the bullet to get some cap space back in order to make smarter investment!! 

I can 99% guarantee you we can find a capable winger on FA market that can score almost on same PPG as Garland but demands $1.5-2M less!! Thought most ppl already knew about the disparity where top shots make $7-8M+ while most of decent players have to settle for $2-3M!! 

16 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I don't think u understand the economic landscape... Sometimes u have to bite the bullet to get some cap space back in order to make smarter investment!! 

I can 99% guarantee you we can find a capable winger on FA market that can score almost on same PPG as Garland but demands $1.5-2M less!! Thought most ppl already knew about the disparity where top shots make $7-8M+ while most of decent players have to settle for $2-3M!! 

Garland has scored at a  .59 ppg pace over his career and gets paid under 5 million.

Zach Hyman just signed a contract for 5.5 with a .53.ppg.

Phillip Danault got the same 5.5 for a career .51

Blake Coleman makes nearly the same as Garland with a .42 ppg

All 3 of those players were signed this past summer, are comparables to Garland except they all make the same or more money while getting less points. I don't think you are correct with your statement according to what actually happeneds in free agency.

In contrast a player who signed in that 2 million less range you spoke of this summer was Sean Kuraly. He has scored at a whopping .27 ppg over his career.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Lilegren doesn't come close to replacing Myers. Myers averages about 7 minutes more a night, and plays against the top end of the oppositions lineup. 

Not at the moment but possibly in the future, say 3-5 years which matches a lot of what management have said about "contending" and getting younger.

I wouldn't want to trade Myers away but it'd be nice to have some sort of progression plan on defence because our young players/prospects are pretty thin after Rathbone. We really lack a strong defensive defenceman in our prospect pool on left or right side, of which Liljegren is not either.

54 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not at the moment but possibly in the future, say 3-5 years which matches a lot of what management have said about "contending" and getting younger.

I wouldn't want to trade Myers away but it'd be nice to have some sort of progression plan on defence because our young players/prospects are pretty thin after Rathbone. We really lack a strong defensive defenceman in our prospect pool on left or right side, of which Liljegren is not either.

We have Woo, who is a better player than Liljegren as well.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Not impossible that this can be true, but it's kind of a weird statement.   Not sure if he's recycling an old source or rumors, but he's saying it like the Canucks interest hasn't changed since the last regime.  Can both the previous regime and the current one likes Liljegren, of course, but seems improbable still.   The Canucks didn't just fire the GM, they completely overhauled their front office, so I'm a little perplexed about that statement, like if their weren't any interruption in negotiation between JB and JR.

Garbage source.

Never heard Liligren in my life until now..and why are you all ok trading Garland or Boeser for a non proven NHL'r. What are you all smoking here...some really bad crack or something lol!!! We are not that desperate to trade for a non-proven Defensemen for our regulars. Not worth the trade in my opinion. We should trade one of our farm D for D makes more sense to me. 

Edited by RolexSub

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just scouring HF and the Laff fans there seem pretty happy with Lilly. They still seem to see his value as equivalent to a late 1st rd pick.

If that's not proof that place is garbage you must just be a sucker for punishment. :lol:

1 hour ago, BobbyClarke said:

Some very bad armchair GM's in here :lol: I hope these guys never complained about Benning.

The dumb in this thread is at a very high level. From replacing Myers to whatever planet that @RakuRaku guy is from. I really have to question if his species even plays hockey. Certainly no match for Petey's alien homies if they do. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

So this is probably how this rumour was 'constructed':

Canucks asks about Leaf players, just to kick the tires. Leafs want to get rid of TL, so his name comes up.

The Leafs/Leafs media spin this into the Canucks being interested in TL, so this gives ample opportunity for trade speculation (i.e. what can we rob off the Canucks?)

Canuck fans, in turn, use this opportunity to 'dump' players that they perceive to be too expensive.

I'm guessing the Canucks aren't close to acquiring TL, if at all. A defensively susceptible defenseman on a team that is not well known to be overly defensive?

Come on guys. This rumour is probably made up to generate clicks.

7 hours ago, rekker said:

We need young RHD. Yes. But we need young RHD that are good. Liljigren isn't good. 

I don’t know anything about Liljegren so that is up to Allvin and JR to judge. 

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I bet Rathbone would be too, doesn’t mean he’s an NHL defender yet.

Rathbone is left. 
Benning got OEL on a long contract so we only have third pair stay at home LD left for years to come. 

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Liljegren replaces Myers???

A D-man who struggles on the Leafs bottom line to replace Myers...?  

I saw a comparision between Pouliot and Liljegren.

Was Pouliot ever a plus player with the Canucks?

Liljegren is +9 and is 22. R. Dahlin has struggled also so people on here talked negatively  about him. 

Liljegren has five years on him to get to the best of him.  

I rather have young players to mold than aging players Allvin need to buy walkers to… 

48 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Never heard Liligren in my life until now..and why are you all ok trading Garland or Boeser for a non proven NHL'r. What are you all smoking here...some really bad crack or something lol!!! We are not that desperate to trade for a non-proven Defensemen for our regulars. Not worth the trade in my opinion. We should trade one of our farm D for D makes more sense to me. 

Five mill in cap space is what I smoke… Benning left the team tied with a lit of cap so there is no flexibility.