The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) COL pursuing Varlamov

RWJC

Read that COL isnt done shopping and is looking at obtaining NYI’s Varlamov (with salary retained).

Darcy Kuemper’s contract expires at end of this season. 

Apparently EDM had kicked tires but Varlamov refused to waive for a trade to them. 

• Like 1

Little Joe knows he can't win with his current goaltending.  Smart to make the move to fix that obvious problem.  Now he just need to get Makar and Mackinnon to actually play the game without the puck.  Can't win if guys are going to be only one way "look at me go mommy" players.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Little Joe knows he can't win with his current goaltending.  Smart to make the move to fix that obvious problem.  Now he just need to get Makar and Mackinnon to actually play the game without the puck.  Can't win if guys are going to be only one way "look at me go mommy" players.  

Joe knows his team needs, its own version of a Patrick Roy cause those teams he Captained didn't win a cup, until Mr Roy arrived.

24 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

So a Kuemper replacement while Kuemper is still there? Don't make sense.

Varlamov has another year on his deal at 5 mill (but again, NYI would be retaining) while Kuemper’s expires at end of this season. Insurance for playoffs and going into next year.

Edited by RWJC

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Varlamov has another year on his deal at 5 mill (but again, NYI would be retaining) while Kuemper’s expires at end of this season. Insurance for playoffs and going into next year.

Cant see NYI retaining when they are looking to contend.  Baugh doesn't think Colorado is doing anything on the goalie front.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Cant see NYI retaining when they are looking to contend.  Baugh doesn't think Colorado is doing anything on the goalie front.

Who knows, just posting what was reported by Nichols of TFP

14 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Would seem more likely Anderson (BUF) or Greiss (DET) would be more likely, no?  

I know they just re-signed him but a Kuemper injury could you rely on Francouz to take a deep playoff run?  

Yeah, perhaps they’re going to require another capable G considering their investment into the postseason 

54 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Would seem more likely Anderson (BUF) or Greiss (DET) would be more likely, no?  

I know they just re-signed him but a Kuemper injury could you rely on Francouz to take a deep playoff run?  

Yeah, if Burnaby Joe doesn't get Varly and makes his rounds (Anderson, Greiss, hopefully Halak) PA better do all he can to convince him to waive for a contender, even if it's to be the #2 goalie (since he has had some playoff success).

Colorado loading up the train.  Too bad they don't have an elite goalie, it will be their downfall.  Sakic knows this all too well.  He didn't win any Cups until Patrick Roy arrived.

Unless Colorado trades for an elite goalie I would put both Tampa and Florida ahead of them as Stanley Cup favourites.  I would also put Calgary ahead of them right now.  Markstrom is better than Kuemper...

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Who knows, just posting what was reported by Nichols of TFP

Friedman in his 32 Thoughts:

27. Before extending Pavel Francouz, Colorado checked out the goalie market. Don’t imagine it was a coincidence Semyon Varlamov started against them last week in New York. Francouz’s extension appears to end that. The Avalanche aren’t done on or off the ice. They have inquired about Patrick Kane (don’t think so), Giroux and Copp (we will see), among others. Assistant GM Chris MacFarland not interviewing for openings in Anaheim or Chicago indicates there is an internal plan for him, too.

28. A couple of sources suggested they don’t believe Varlamov will go anywhere. We will see. Not that I’m expecting any info from GM Lou Lamoriello, but I’ve heard Cal Clutterbuck’s name quite a bit, too.

• Cheers 1

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

Boeser isn’t getting you either of those prospects.  
Add a garbage goalie isn’t going to help.  
This belongs on HF boards

We will include a box set of Bonanza episodes, so “Little Joe” will feel all warm and fuzzy.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Colorado loading up the train.  Too bad they don't have an elite goalie, it will be their downfall.  Sakic knows this all too well.  He didn't win any Cups until Patrick Roy arrived.

Unless Colorado trades for an elite goalie I would put both Tampa and Florida ahead of them as Stanley Cup favourites.  I would also put Calgary ahead of them right now.  Markstrom is better than Kuemper...

I actually think Kuemper is really good. He's just always had injury problems and had been on a terrible team prior to this season. 

11 hours ago, mll said:

other than Dobson's bridge deal, NYI are pretty much set for next year. Not sure why they'd move a goalie now, unless its a huge overpayment. 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Funny because Patrick Roy pushed hard for them to draft the bust Conner Bleackley instead of Thatcher Demko because he believes Demko is only out there having a good time instead of trying to win. Can you imagine if they have Demko on that roster? They prob would've won the cup the last couple of years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1