The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds exaclty like what was said when Benning got here only it was the Twins, and Edler who we had to retool around quick.  

The twins and Edler were already past their primes. Demko, Hughes and Petey haven’t even entered their prime years yet. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And how do you replace them if they leave?  You are looking at having to draft in the top 5 for several years in order to replace our elite players. 

A rebuild is not easy. If it doesn’t work you could be rebuilding for a decade or more.

And how long have  we been "retooling" without gaining any traction?  We have three great young players.  We could support those three for a decade with good young ELC guys if we had lots of picks.  

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds exaclty like what was said when Benning got here only it was the Twins, and Edler who we had to retool around quick.  

What would the alternative be, unless you're wiling to go full scorched earth and we start talking about moving core guys like Petey, Hughes, Horvat and Demko?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How old were the Twins and Eddie? How old is our core now? If you think the situation is the same, I don't know how to help you.

This 'window' talk has to stop.

Build a good team that is a good team every year.

Then top players will want to play here and stay here.

Then you have time to promote and retire management.

Then you have banners hanging everywhere in your barn.

In the rafters, in the stalls, hell, even in the chicken coop!

Window this and window that? 

Hogwash I say, Hogwash!

Our 'window' is open; keep it open; open it wider; etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Free agency is where you overpay.

We got a young cost controlled player who they hope has more upside to give.

Free agency is also where you get outbid for the players who fit your budget. Or else you blow your budget and bring in a high profile guy whose best years are probably behind him, thus dooming yourself to two or three seasons of "what the hell was I thinking".

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

The numbers disagree with you - 

Hughes had a worse Goals against/60 minutes than Rielly (by a LOT). Rielly was in the top third in the league, while Hughes was at the very bottom. Hughes was also on the ice for 2 more high danger scoring chances against / 60 minutes than Hughes.

Rielly was the better player defensively by far last year. 

I trust my eyes over analytics by far.  Rielly also didn't have Baumgartner actively sabotaging him.

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And how do you replace them if they leave?  You are looking at having to draft in the top 5 for several years in order to replace our elite players. 

A rebuild is not easy. If it doesn’t work you could be rebuilding for a decade or more.

Yeah, it takes [some] luck and commitment for any plan to work out.  Imo, it comes down to messaging and a good/decent GM, should be able to sell the plan from the owner to the fans; and annual progression should be a good indicator.  Canucks have the right coach, in place: an experienced coach that is also, hungry to win his first cup.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

This 'window' talk has to stop.

Build a good team that is a good team every year.

Then top players will want to play here and stay here.

Then you have time to promote and retire management.

Then you have banners hanging everywhere in your barn.

In the rafters, in the stalls, hell, even in the chicken coop!

Window this and window that? 

Hogwash I say, Hogwash!

Our 'window' is open; keep it open; open it wider; etc.

The " window " makes me want to barf.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The twins and Edler were already past their primes. Demko, Hughes and Petey haven’t even entered their prime years yet. 

The ages are different, but the philosophy is the same.  Retool around the core within five years, before the core is done.  We should be adding picks to suppliment our young core guys for the next decade, instead of using those picks for fully developed players we are hoping will suddenly break out.  This philosophy gets us a hopeful 2-3 year window.  The proper way (draft guys to support the core) would give us a decade.  

• Vintage 1

i hate this. I'd rather have held on to Hamonic to be honest and that says a lot. This team is too soft and can't play defense, which is the perfect way to describe Dermott. They better go out and totally revamp the rest of the D now. Hughes and OEL stay, the rest... better luck next year.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And how long have  we been "retooling" without gaining any traction?  We have three great young players.  We could support those three for a decade with good young ELC guys if we had lots of picks.  

A decade?  I don’t think so. Demko will be gone in 4 years unless we are competing. Quinn will be going to New Jersey in 5 years, maybe regardless whether we are competing or not. 

I see a lot of people panicking about us picking up Dermot, here's my take on it.

He saves us 1.5 million on cap while playing bottom pairing, like Harmonic.

Just because he wasn't being effective in the Leafs organization, doesn't mean he won't respond here to new coaching and systemswhat do we know about JR approach? He likes to mix things up and try players and if they don't fit, he moves them again.

I like the two trades, gives our D a little different look and frees up cap space

There will be more moves tomorrow, would be shocked if we're done.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, luongianone said:

How old were the Twins and Eddie? How old is our core now? If you think the situation is the same, I don't know how to help you.

Kings still have some of there old core and they seem to be done with there rebuild, whilst, the Canucks are starting there second rebuild. Good back & forth and just wanted to add, my two cents.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What would the alternative be, unless you're wiling to go full scorched earth and we start talking about moving core guys like Petey, Hughes, Horvat and Demko?

Alfie prefers to go full scorched earth so his planet gets saved in the process. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2