The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

Basically in a roundabout way, we're replacing Hamonic with a guy who essentially is what Travis was advertised to be - a defensive defensemen who has the potential to play top 4 minutes...only McDermott is 6 years younger...and he's half the cost. I'd call this a win by any metric. It could be a disaster, but any trade can blow up in your face for no reason. On paper, this looks like an excellent, cost saving improvement to the line-up. At worst, he's at least a reliable, still youngish bottom pairing defensemen. That's more than we were getting from Hamonic this year, so it works for me. 

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds exaclty like what was said when Benning got here only it was the Twins, and Edler who we had to retool around quick.  

Actually it is very different. The Sedins were near the end and deserved a chance to go for it. Those two are far younger and on 2nd contracts but it really is our 'window' with them. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Exaclty!  Build the farm and collect the picks first.  Adding 25 year old guys at the cost of picks isn't helping build a long term winner.  It's hoping for a quick fix that might work but usually doesn't.  And will mean a shorter window.  If Dermott plays well, then he will earn more money.  What do we do in a year and a half when he earns a 4 mil deal?  Trade him for a third and do it all over again.  This philosophy is not a way to build a consistent winner.  

JB tried this approach at the cost of picks.  Sure those picks (except for Rasmus with the Flakes) had busted out.  Good chance, the players chosen could had been a different set of players.  Another part of the equation, is the most important part, which is developement.   Through development the team can recreate the culture by filling the big club, with homegrown talent.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is it. The hypocrisy of this fanbase is on full display. No one said a bad thing about Vey (at the time) that was a proven AHL player for the Kings that looked like he was on the verge of breaking out.

Baertschi did pretty good for the Canucks up until the injuries.

All of a sudden, these trades became trash over time... suspiciously...

Actually many here hated giving up a 2nd for Vey. Many were crying that we gave up a future star for a guy that was drafted in the 4th round. I thought it was a good risk/reward move. Vey was miles beyond any of our AHL prospects.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exaclty!  Build the farm and collect the picks first.  Adding 25 year old guys at the cost of picks isn't helping build a long term winner.  It's hoping for a quick fix that might work but usually doesn't.  And will mean a shorter window.  If Dermott plays well, then he will earn more money.  What do we do in a year and a half when he earns a 4 mil deal?  Trade him for a third and do it all over again.  This philosophy is not a way to build a consistent winner.  

So if he plays good enough to earn a $4 million dollar contract how would his value be the same?

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Actually many here hated giving up a 2nd for Vey. Many were crying that we gave up a future star for a guy that was drafted in the 4th round. I thought it was a good risk/reward move. Vey was miles beyond any of our AHL prospects.

Jason Garrison???

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is it. The hypocrisy of this fanbase is on full display. No one said a bad thing about Vey (at the time) that was a proven AHL player for the Kings that looked like he was on the verge of breaking out.

Baertschi did pretty good for the Canucks up until the injuries.

All of a sudden, these trades became trash over time... suspiciously...

Yeah I'm mostly just letting this thread play out at this point rather than engaging with people paranoid of 2 minor trades (not to mention, one of them I refuse to debate with as I remember it just not being worth my time lol). Maybe I'll chip in now and then but I don't care to argue through the teeth with people who are going to be paranoid no matter what.

Just now, The Lock said:

Yeah I'm mostly just letting this thread play out at this point rather than engaging with people paranoid of 2 minor trades (not to mention, one of them I refuse to debate with as I remember it just not being worth my time lol). Maybe I'll chip in now and then but I don't care to argue through the teeth with people who are going to be paranoid no matter what.

this one's not really worth arguing about. TD is either going to be a properly priced 3rd pairing d, or he'll be on waivers/Abby and saving us 2.5 mil from what we would have been paying Hamonic. 

I don't see the downside. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

this one's not really worth arguing about. TD is either going to be a properly priced 3rd pairing d, or he'll be on waivers/Abby and saving us 2.5 mil from what we would have been paying Hamonic. 

I don't see the downside. 

Yeah exactly. If Dermott pans out, this trade looks good. If Dermott doesn't pan out, we lost an unreliable Hamonic.

That's basically it.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Chris Thornycroft said:

Basically in a roundabout way, we're replacing Hamonic with a guy who essentially is what Travis was advertised to be - a defensive defensemen who has the potential to play top 4 minutes...only McDermott is 6 years younger...and he's half the cost. I'd call this a win by any metric. It could be a disaster, but any trade can blow up in your face for no reason. On paper, this looks like an excellent, cost saving improvement to the line-up. At worst, he's at least a reliable, still youngish bottom pairing defensemen. That's more than we were getting from Hamonic this year, so it works for me. 

He is a lhd and Ham is rhd

I see this as a bit of a lateral move, skill-wise, with 1.5 Million in Cap Savings. Dermott is younger, plays both sides, and plays a style that's a bit more conducive to Boudreau's system. He actually managed pretty well in Toronto last season before being overexposed in the playoffs against Montreal. A fresh start could be what Dermott needs to fulfill his potential. Not an exciting deal, but one I can get behind!

59 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Interesting chain of events. Essentially trading Hamonic for Dermott and gaining a couple mil in cap. Sounds like what JR was preaching. Not crazy about helping Toronto. They just offloaded a contract they didn’t want and gained a third rounder.

Yeah, not keen on it but he's here so I'm hoping he can be a positive return 

• Upvote 1