The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, khay said:

Maybe Dermott is our version of John Marino. Buy low on a player that has potential to play well above his pay grade.

We needed help on defence and essentially, we traded Hamonic for Dermott. Not much to lose even if it doesn't work out.

1. Getting 3rd for Hamonic is like found money -- we got rid of 3 mil contract for next season and got a 3rd in the process.

2. Dermott is paid half of Hamonic's salary while being able to play both sides and has two more years left (I think or is it one more year?). So the team has control.

3. We needed an upgrade over Hunt immediately. Our LD was getting exposed now that OEL is slow footed (probably lingering injury) and the rest of the league knows about it.

I think we are going to see very quickly that Dermott is our second best D to Hughes.  He will be playing over 20 minutes a night.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we are going to see very quickly that Dermott is our second best D to Hughes.  He will be playing over 20 minutes a night.

are you really saying this, or just trying to make Ms. Alf happy?

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Again, not much to be skeptical about....

We gave up a third for a young early 2nd round defenseman on a good contract. 3rd rounders have a 20% chance to play 100 NHL games and around 50% of playing an NHL game period. Dermott is almost guaranteed to be better than any 3rd round player we pick. There is literally no negatives about this trade, upgrading our bottom pairing D is not something to be skeptical about lol. We paid the minimum price for a young defenseman with 250 games of experience....I don't know how this can be spun into a negative?

Plus moved from 5RD and 3LD to 4 and 4; and we may not need to see Hunt anymore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, khay said:

We needed help on defence and essentially, we traded Hamonic for Dermott. Not much to lose even if it doesn't work out.

I believe Dermott will surprise a lot of fans. I remember him when he first broke in with the Leafs and I thought he looked better than average in terms of his skating, vision and hockey sense. It seems to me that a lot of defencemen struggle with the teams that bring them to the NHL, then do much better when traded to a new team. I was never sold on Hamonic because I felt that playing hockey for him came second. I totally respect that he wants to put his family first, but let him do it while playing for another team. Paterson mentioned that Hamonic NEVER agreed to talk to the media after he returned from self-imposed exile. The feeling Paterson had was that talking to the media was part of an NHL player's job and that Hamonic sort of put himself above everyone else who understood that talking to the media came with the territory.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It's not my place to decide what's best for his family. Not is it yours. It's his. Respect his beliefs.

I don't need to respect his beliefs if they're real dumb, just like I don't respect the beliefs of flat earthers and qanon morons. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, khay said:

Maybe Dermott is our version of John Marino. Buy low on a player that has potential to play well above his pay grade.

1. Getting 3rd for Hamonic is like found money -- we got rid of 3 mil contract for next season and got a 3rd in the process.

2. Dermott is paid half of Hamonic's salary while being able to play both sides and has two more years left (I think or is it one more year?). So the team has control.

3. We needed an upgrade over Hunt immediately. Our LD was getting exposed now that OEL is slow footed (probably lingering injury) and the rest of the league knows about it.

Don’t know what’s up with OEL, but he’s not the greatest backwards skater I’ve noticed. Players do the dump and chase on him and he lacks pivotal movement to angle guys chasing. 

The way I see it right now we have three or four guys that can skate well (Hughes, Dermott, Burroughs, Hunt) and three guys that aren’t the fleetest of foot.

We need to be pairing these guys together to avoid getting trapped in our zone because we can’t get to the puck.

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Myers

OEL Hunt/Burroughs

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The way I see it right now we have three or four guys that can skate well (Hughes, Dermott, Burroughs, Hunt) and three guys that aren’t the fleetest of foot.

We need to be pairing these guys together to avoid getting trapped in our zone because we can’t get to the puck.

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Myers

OEL Hunt/Burroughs

Not to dump on your point; Myers can skate.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Don’t know what’s up with OEL, but he’s not the greatest backwards skater I’ve noticed. Players do the dump and chase on him and he lacks pivotal movement to angle guys chasing. 

Yeah I agree. As much as people blame Myers for that pairing getting exposed, I think it's OEL that is exposed. He clearly has some physical ailment. Myers is trying to compensate but at the pro level, each player must pull their weight.

This trade is not looking good at this point if whatever ails him is permanent.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

North/south he’s good, laterally not so much.

I think he over-commits sometimes and stay a bit too long in the O zone, but he can definitely wheel.

Another thing not mentioned often with Myers is that he has a big boomer from the point.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Plus moved from 5RD and 3LD to 4 and 4; and we may not need to see Hunt anymore.

Hopefully this is the last time I quote myself, lol.

According to his interview, it appears he might be playing with Hunt, rather than replacing him.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

It is possible that TO messed up his development. Wouldn't be the first time a player left and found success somewhere else. 

That's a reasonable assumption since they don't hold AHL trash like Rielly or Sandin accountable for their refusal to even try to play acceptable defence.  It's going to take a while with Shaw to make it clear that playing like a Toronto D will get you sent to the press box.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Myers

OEL Hunt/Burroughs

I thought the entire point of this trade was to ensure Hunt never plays another shift here.

• Cheers 1