The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Dermott | #24 | D

-AJ-

9 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I have some exposure to Dermott being in Toronto, albeit I don't follow the Leafs directly I am friends with a lot of Leafs fans. Gap control and high defensive IQ was consistent - and these are guys who played pretty high level junior. 

His play was never bad - he wanted a bigger role but instead got moved as a random utility player as the other pairings are set. It is understandable that the Leafs would want to develop a Sandin-Liljegren pairing and he wasn't knocking Muzzin or Rielly out of the top 4. Holl is a natural right side D so he was just an awkward fit. He also had to spend 60% of his time on the right side which is hard for a left handed young dman. 

He will get some pressure from Rathbone coming up next year but I like a guy who is flexible to play both sides and is reliable

Sounds like he's the perfect Hunt replacement.  I see him playing for us for a long time, if he accepts his limitations and is willing to play a bottom pair role.  If he developed his game into a shutdown guy he would get more minutes and more money.  He needs to forget about being an offensive guy.  that's not his best role.  I'm hoping he has figured that out. Seems like a nice enough guy, but (again) it comes down to whether he's got the toughness of character to play the hardest minutes.  If he does have that toughness then we have a player who will help us.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, x00x said:

travis is fine, people on these forums would nit pick anyone we get, everyone is human, and cant be a 100% ever game, some games people do great, other games they make errors, happens ...deal with it, even wayne gretzky had some faults LOL

Who's nit picking? I've only heard positives from him..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x00x said:

travis is fine, people on these forums would nit pick anyone we get, everyone is human, and cant be a 100% ever game, some games people do great, other games they make errors, happens ...deal with it, even wayne gretzky had some faults LOL

Point out a post that is saying our new guy sucks old socks.  He cost a third and is paid 1.5.  He's 25.  He's a meh player with upside.  

My 2 game assessment of Dermott so far is that he's fairly reliable, most un-noticeable due to his low minutes (which is a good thing, no stupid plays) but I really noticed that he anchors that bottom pairing and let Hunt play with a lot more flexibility, so I noticed Hunt jumping up and skating up a lot more because Dermott was sitting back. He's a steal for 1.5M and does exactly what Hamonic does without the drama. Need to see him in more PK situations and he certainly isn't as tough as Hamonic but the kid still has a lot of upside (whereas Hamonic's play has been tailing off since Calgary).

On the whole you can't be angry with him and his play, he's giving us plenty as a 5th defenceman and can play up or down the lineup if need be, on either side.

Next season I'd be keen to see how he does on the right next to Rathbone even.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 4:09 PM, Kelly Green said:

Still smells like big smoke but the price was right, welcome to Vancouver Travis!

I wouldn't go that far, sometimes it's all in the coaching and we have Bruce so pretty sure he'll be at his best and when we see that then we can make a judgement to keep it flip him.. 

Edited by iceman64

On 3/25/2022 at 5:43 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

My 2 game assessment of Dermott so far is that he's fairly reliable, most un-noticeable due to his low minutes (which is a good thing, no stupid plays) but I really noticed that he anchors that bottom pairing and let Hunt play with a lot more flexibility, so I noticed Hunt jumping up and skating up a lot more because Dermott was sitting back. He's a steal for 1.5M and does exactly what Hamonic does without the drama. Need to see him in more PK situations and he certainly isn't as tough as Hamonic but the kid still has a lot of upside (whereas Hamonic's play has been tailing off since Calgary).

On the whole you can't be angry with him and his play, he's giving us plenty as a 5th defenceman and can play up or down the lineup if need be, on either side.

This bodes well for pro-scouting for the new regime which was a weakness of the old regime.  It's going to take good pro-scouting to take the team to the next level.

Dermott seems to be the right sort of player to pair up with Rathbone and who comes in at the right price.  Should Allvin have used the cap flexibility that he gained from moving Hamonic?  Absolutely, if the opportunity is there.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

This bodes well for pro-scouting for the new regime which was a weakness of the old regime.  It's going to take good pro-scouting to take the team to the next level.

Dermott seems to be the right sort of player to pair up with Rathbone and who comes in at the right price.  Should Allvin have used the cap flexibility that he gained from moving Hamonic?  Absolutely, if the opportunity is there.

I only see the same Pro scout as we have had for the last 10 years. Have I missed some thing ?? was there hires that I'm unaware of??

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I only see the same Pro scout as we have had for the last 10 years. Have I missed some thing ?? was there hires that I'm unaware of??

How much did J.B. pay you to spread fake news on this forum of truth :bigblush:

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya the old regime did not know what they were doing trading for J.T. Miller. That 1st round draft pick was wasted no questions. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Ya the old regime did not know what they were doing trading for J.T. Miller. That 1st round draft pick was wasted no questions. 

The GMJB haters squirm a bit when you bring who is responsible for us having JT. Or that the team we are watching now is pretty much GMJB’s team as he constructed it. :bigblush:

As for Dermott, saw some things from him in the last game that were very encouraging. His presence certain has a notice effect on the mobility of our D-core.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:43 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

When Tanev and Hamonic switched teams, one hoped it would be a decent trade off.  Dermott might finally make it work.  

he sounds like a D ,an we can use.  

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

The GMJB haters squirm a bit when you bring who is responsible for us having JT. Or that the team we are watching now is pretty much GMJB’s team as he constructed it. :bigblush:

As for Dermott, saw some things from him in the last game that were very encouraging. His presence certain has a notice effect on the mobility of our D-core.

naw

not really

every GM has brought some good players to the team

Quinn brought Linden and Bure and the Ronning et al deal

the much hated Keenan brought Bertuzzi

Burke- Sedins

Nonis- Kesler/Edler/ Luongo

Gillis - Malhotra/Erhoff/Horvat

Benning-Petey/Miller/Demko

the problem with the Miller trade is not Miller, but that it ended the building period

the Canucks were 1 point away from the Miller trade ending up like the Kessel trade to Toronto

It was a good gamble by Tampa that the Canucks might miss the playoffs both seasons and Tampa end up with a lotto pick

For that reason, Benning was forced to buy at the deadline to negate the possibility of giving up a 1-2 OA like the Leafs did

Miller is great and I love the guy

but the timing was bad on that trade

as bad as a first for OEL

and as bad a first would have been for help getting in this year (didn't happen, thankfully)

If Miller doesn't resign in Vancouver, he will be gone when the players lost are coming into the league

If he is traded, like the return will be for assets not ready for 5 years

Miller, very likely, will be a pleasant blip in a stalled rebuild

edit

when you look at the trades above

the Ronning, Erhoff and Miller deals were for the present

while the Burtuzzi, Sedin and Horvat deals were for the future

the reason some of us really liked Quinn is because he retooled the team quickly, (Like Jim B said he would)

Edited by lmm
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

On 3/25/2022 at 2:38 PM, x00x said:

Sounds like Luongo.. got run out of town because he wasn't perfect every night when we pretty much needed it because of Tanev or Edler, Salo out injured then we had no depth to step in or the skill to just simply move everyone up and fill in a 3rd pairing spot so a lot of the time when it happened it turned into a shooting gallery, much like it was THIS year and Luongo couldn't do it all himself every night when it got bad but I'm sure you remember that... 

4 hours ago, lmm said:

naw

not really

every GM has brought some good players to the team

Quinn brought Linden and Bure and the Ronning et al deal

the much hated Keenan brought Bertuzzi

Burke- Sedins

Nonis- Kesler/Edler/ Luongo

Gillis - Malhotra/Erhoff/Horvat

Benning-Petey/Miller/Demko

the problem with the Miller trade is not Miller, but that it ended the building period

the Canucks were 1 point away from the Miller trade ending up like the Kessel trade to Toronto

It was a good gamble by Tampa that the Canucks might miss the playoffs both seasons and Tampa end up with a lotto pick

For that reason, Benning was forced to buy at the deadline to negate the possibility of giving up a 1-2 OA like the Leafs did

Miller is great and I love the guy

but the timing was bad on that trade

as bad as a first for OEL

and as bad a first would have been for help getting in this year (didn't happen, thankfully)

If Miller doesn't resign in Vancouver, he will be gone when the players lost are coming into the league

If he is traded, like the return will be for assets not ready for 5 years

Miller, very likely, will be a pleasant blip in a stalled rebuild

edit

when you look at the trades above

the Ronning, Erhoff and Miller deals were for the present

while the Burtuzzi, Sedin and Horvat deals were for the future

the reason some of us really liked Quinn is because he retooled the team quickly, (Like Jim B said he would)

With Miller, I see where your getting at but yeah if his contract would have been for longer and he was a couple years younger that would have been ideal however in another way that your not thinking about is his impact on the team every night as he displays what a pro does every night even if he doesn't score, and even if he is traded, what that did was set an example of "hustle" and no nights off, Garland can be added to that but JT wins that one because of his added leadership but it's close but JT has raised a standard that only Hughes and Demko meet on a nightly basis so there's that as a big win in JB's favour that people didn't see coming.

The biggest win was a first pick, anyone after 3rd overall has a 50-50 chance on down of making it to be a NHL regular and since when do we ever get top 3??? Lmao! 

Anyway I think it now has to do with them talking JT into staying for the next 4-5 seasons while he's still close to his prime and he's just got to his prime now, if he gets the puck on his stick he almost expects to be able to score and that's the pinnacle of confidence.

So management better get some serious ***t done in the off-season and make him WANT to stay thinking he has a shot for a ring with us.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1