The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Not disagreeing with you, but OEL is off and I think likely dealing with an injury. He’s needed by this team for this push so likely can’t take any maintenance days. Just don’t think he’d fall off this fast (but I could totally be wrong)

I think he’s just tired.  His minutes need to be cut down.  At 17-18 minutes a night he would be a lot better I think.  He’s averaging 22+ minutes which I think is not sustainable for him over an entire season.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

I think he’s moveable this summer his NTC becomes a 10 team no trade list and with 2 years left there’s always teams looking for a RH defencemen. Problem is we are going to need one here real quick 

If we can move Myers in the summer then we could go for Manson as a UFA.  He’d be a good partner for OEL…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T.Demko said:

Not really.  That is a very big facade.

We have too much anchor to make any big changes to get on par with the top dogs, nor do we have enough future to mortgage for a proper retool, nor do we have a strong enough core to say &^@# it and go all in the next 2 years.

Yes, we have some very good core to build around, but we are still 2 to 3 years away, minimum.  We can absolutely be patient and let our players reach that point, while naturally letting the bad contracts expire.  We can trade current assets that does not fit that timeline to bolster our lineup when we're ready to compete.  

However, as fickle as this fan base is, there is always a demand for playoff hockey year in year out.  We continously sacrifice stability of our future for a mediocre product that may or may not work now.  If we're real fans of the team, what's 2 or 3 years of patience?

It is time to stop building a team to clinch a playoff birth and properly build a team that can actually win it all, especially because we have the right core to do so.  Stop mortgaging our future for mediocrity.  

Ok now that you’ve broken down what you meant that is what I consider a retool. We can

do those things and be a bubble playoff team in the time being. We do have the players to do that and one big trade would help boost that. 2-3 years yeah. A rebuild to me is selling everything and restarting which can take anywhere from 5-10 years 

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This next 7 game stretch is tough as hell. On the road to start with a back to back with Colorado then Minny, on then to Dallas in a 4 night span. Then we face the Blues then come home to face the Blues again the play the Golden Knights and go to Vegas to play the Golden Knights again.

Playoff fate to be determined in this 7 game stretch.

Win against Dallas, win both games against Vegas, and split the other games and we will still have a chance. 

• Cheers 1

Disappointing loss.  Time for rebuild-lite.

Keep Petterson, Hughes, Demko, Horvat and maybe Miller (so so on Boeser). I’d like to keep Garland if we can.

After the losses this weekend, the playoffs are a pipe dream.

It’s too bad but reality has caught up with us even though the boys pushed hard under Boudreau.

We need stronger D, more size, speed and grit. 

Edited by sockeye

Well folks, I think we're just about done.

Canucks really needed to win the games versus Detroit and Buffalo... these are bottom feeder teams... should have been done like dinner.

The fact they couldn't... does not bode well for this 'drive' to the playoffs.

Level of play has fallen off in the last 4 games dramatically.

The problem is all about play in the D-Zone... the running around continues... it becomes predictable, other team has the puck on a string, Canucks get tired out, other team scores.  The Canucks need to get their defensive system down as #1 priority... just not good enough.

There is also a problem with the lack of fluidity in the Canucks 5 on 5 offense, they are falling back into really predictable patterns... similar to what they did under Green.

Team needs to be taught how to use their wingers and movement to put the other team off balance... that is not happening now.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think he’s just tired.  His minutes need to be cut down.  At 17-18 minutes a night he would be a lot better I think.  He’s averaging 22+ minutes which I think is not sustainable for him over an entire season.

AT over 7m a season I expect nearing 25min a night from OEL, otherwise the 1 yr we had left on the 6x6 contract turned into a 6yr 7.3m mistake of a contract to extend our wasted cap space by many years. Leading to contractual issues for Miller, Horvat, Motte, Boeser because of the long term OEL contract that is unmoveable

Demko is exhausted, we've ridden him far too hard. Need to manage him better and for that we do need a decent backup.

Disgraceful effort by the whole team though, this is a very different team to even 1 week ago. Season's not over just yet but it it's almost impossible now to come back from this deficit with a tired Demko.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Have we ever had the 1st overall pick?  Ever?

Yeah, I think Burke traded for it, then traded it to (Florida ?) for the second overall, with the understanding that they would not take a Sedin.

Then Burke took the Sedins with the 2nd and 3rd.

But the 1st was not ours in the first place.

If I remember correctly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

AT over 7m a season I expect nearing 25min a night from OEL, otherwise the 1 yr we had left on the 6x6 contract turned into a 6yr 7.3m mistake of a contract to extend our wasted cap space by many years. Leading to contractual issues for Miller, Horvat, Motte, Boeser because of the long term OEL contract that is unmoveable

OEL can’t play 25 minutes a night.  He should be capped out at 20 minutes maximum.  18-19 minutes would be even better.

Yeah I am starting to feel buyer’s remorse on that deal…

I feel bad for season ticket holder’s. I don’t care how much money you have or how much of a tax right off it is. It’s just too much to endure. My brother in law is at the point where he won’t even give his tickets away to staff, customers and friends. He would rather leave them unoccupied and take the financial hit than deal with the debacle of another sub par performance. 

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Playoff fate to be determined in this 7 game stretch.

Win against Dallas, win both games against Vegas, and split the other games and we will still have a chance. 

A chance to…

lower our draft position

bow out in the 1st round 

see certain players who are already overworked and seem to be running on fumes push themselves even further and risk injury just trying to compete in that position until end of season.

by the time playoffs roll around, they will be physically wasted. 

I’m a huge fan of this team.

but reality needs to sink in that even if we were to make it into a wildcard spot, we are HUGE underdogs without enough depth to stay afloat. We don’t even have the pieces or cap right now to pick up complimentary depth players for a run. 

the consistency is not there.

the total team effort has not been present. 

yeah anything can happen in the playoffs, including a total deflation that carries over into next season.

I mean this in the best possible way…

this team needs change and imho needs to miss the playoffs so that it is hungry from the friggin get go of any game next season. Bring in the right players, remove a few of the current ones, and that will not be a problem.

They just don’t have it put together and if one thinks that a miracle can happen with this roster once they are in, you’ll be proud of them but sadly disappointed, imho. 

now is the time to capitalize for next season, not this one.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we can move Myers in the summer then we could go for Manson as a UFA.  He’d be a good partner for OEL…

RHD stay at home defenseman, literally exactly what the doctor ordered.

Then pry Marino out of Pittsburgh and our defence looks like:

Hughes-Marino
OEL-Manson
Dermott-Poolman

Rathbone, Schenn, Burroughs

Solid defence, lots of depth. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Should I be depressed with the Canucks if all I'm looking forward to are only 2 things: sacrificing the playoff push for the future during the trade deadline OR keeping the players and hoping that Dermott and maybe Sutter can help with the playoff push?

They are not enough.

Sutter is just trying to get healthy enough to play a game right now. 
There is no chance his conditioning will be playoff level ready.  He is a risk to himself if you put him in the lineup come playoffs. 

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, I think Burke traded for it, then traded it to (Florida ?) for the second overall, with the understanding that they would not take a Sedin.

Then Burke took the Sedins with the 2nd and 3rd.

But the 1st was not ours in the first place.

If I remember correctly.

Yeah we owned the first overall pick for a few minutes I think when Burke was maneuvering to get both twins.  He could have kept it but made a deal with Atlanta to move down one spot to 2nd overall and they promised to take Patrik Stefan.