The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Appleton, Brassard, Namestnikov, Paul all returned 4th round picks. This is simply the market value this year. If Motte wasn't going to resign, this was the right move. No ideal, obviously, but how people are calling for Allvins head is beyond me.

Bingo.

Brassard is a center. The fact the Canucks got a 4th is good.

I suspect a lot of teams, especially the good ones, have Motte caliber players in their system. Finding high energy pk guys that don’t score much probably isn’t a relatively hard thing to do- and they will be cheaper. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

4th liner doesn't get 18 minutes of ice time. 

We gave Motte away for nothing. 4th round pick from the Rangers won't even be in the top 100. 

You don’t actually draft anyone with that pick you add it to a future trade.

This trade was all about rewarding Motte for his service. Instead of floundering on the Canucks for another month he gets to go on a playoff run. If he told the team he wanted to test free agency as is his right to do then this makes all the sense in the world to send him to a contender even for a lower draft pick. The only thing this trade could have used more would be a condition on Motte re-signing in New York. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

You have not been paying attention.  Sabres are once again, in the bottom 10 - after drafting 1st OA last year and in 2018.   

Sabres been drafting top 10 since 2013 - hence ever re building.

The Canucks have been here in forever. You could have picked other franchises to compare to, but you intentionally chose one of the worst under the pretext of "expansion cousins". Have some pride!

This trade seems so pointless. Why not just keep Motte at this point when he has an important role on the team. What kind of message is this sending to the players? Before someone comes in with the aSsEt mAnaGeMenT argument, please tell me the last time a 4th rounder turned into anything worthwhile. Ideally we keep Motte till the end of the season and let the team battle it out, and let him walk at the end of it if the price of resigning him is too high. A 4th is negligible, this trade as a whole just seems so random and unnecessary. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

The Canucks have been here in forever. You could have picked other franchises to compare to, but you intentionally chose one of the worst under the pretext of "expansion cousins". Have some pride!

The conversation started with the Sabres and not any other team.  What is bothering you about the topic ?  How about the Yotes or Devils or Sens ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 13231 said:

This trade seems so pointless. Why not just keep Motte at this point when he has an important role on the team. What kind of message is this sending to the players? Before someone comes in with the aSsEt mAnaGeMenT argument, please tell me the last time a 4th rounder turned into anything worthwhile. Ideally we keep Motte till the end of the season and let the team battle it out, and let him walk at the end of it if the price of resigning him is too high. A 4th is negligible, this trade as a whole just seems so random and unnecessary. 

I agree, however, Motte himself was a 4th round pick. 

23 minutes ago, Devron said:

I wasn’t I don’t know what was so exciting about new management before they even made a move. 

Classic human behavior. Most people are wired to grow wary and tired of something old and then completely hype up the new shiny toy, regardless of what facts point out to. Happens all the time in politics, entertainment, and in this case, sports. There's tons of interesting literature on this if you're interested in the topic. And regarding our management, won't be long till these heroes are run out of town and a new regime is hyped up in a similar manner. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, 13231 said:

Exactly.

I know their playoff chances are low but this is a blow to every player in that locker room who’s still fighting for playoffs.

Trading a fourth liner might not seem like throwing in the towel, but ask any player in that room how important Motte is to the team and they’d tell you.

I didn’t have high hopes for beating the Avs but I fully expect a blowout now as this team will be completely deflated.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I mean I get why he was traded but still NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Seems like a panic move just to do something.

If they had weighed this deal rationally keeping Motte would have had more value than a 4th.

Unless this is some old boys club thing where JR gives them a deal now to help grease a Miller or Garland trade later I don’t get it.

Deals or major deals are done before hand - you might be right on all your points ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

16 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Richardson is nowhere near Motte's level this season.  He got waived for a reason.

Also while it is bleak, if we get on a run, we can easily make the playoffs.  We were on our first actual slide with Boudreau on this homestand.  We could easily still turn it around there's still a quarter the season to go.

Yeah, I wonder how BB likes this?

42 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

We over value our players here. He's a 4th line injury prone rental winger that was asking for 2.5m.

42 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I guess if they couldn't get a deal this is better than nothing... Idk kind of disappointing

Agreed. Local fans (including me) always overvalue hometown players. This was pretty much a straight auction and if a 4th round pick next year is the best the Canucks could get, that is Motte's value.  I was expecting (or maybe just hoping for) a 3rd this year.  But that over-valued Motte.  

In the short run, Motte will be replaced by Richardson, who was picked up on waivers.  I would rather have Motte but Richardson will not be much of a step down. In fact, as Richardson is a center, he has some value that Motte did not have.  I don't think the Canucks are noticeably weaker at this point. 

The Canucks tried to re-sign Motte but the days of having the most expensive (and most overpaid) 4th line in the league (the Benning model) are over.  The JR model is that you pay a lot for high end players and your 4th liners have to making something close to the NHL minimum. Lammiko and Highmore fit that model and it should not be hard to get another solid 4th liner whose cap hit is under a million for next year. 

I like Motte, but I have no problem with this deal as he would have walked in the summer anyway.  

Also, I think it is useful to send the message that the Canucks will let players walk if their contract demands are too high.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1