The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did JR/PA do on TDL 2022? (10 being best, 1 being worst)

Rate this topic

HKSR

Scale of 1 - 10, how did JR/PA do on TDL 2022?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

“While we were” is what I had tried to type haha

I get what you're saying but realistically we haven't fallen that far out. Now was the time to make either a big splash or stand pat unless the deal really blew our socks off. If Allvin makes trades like the Motte one I'm af3aid it Benning 2.0

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yeah, never know, right?

and if they are indeed going to try to resign Miller, one way to prevent that is to gut the team from underneath him 

Excellent point about the Miller re-sign.  Hadn't thought of that.  Any moves of guys like Boeser, Garland, etc will be done after we get Miller re-signed.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

I get what you're saying but realistically we haven't fallen that far out. Now was the time to make either a big splash or stand pat unless the deal really blew our socks off. If Allvin makes trades like the Motte one I'm af3aid it Benning 2.0

Yeah I hear ya, I just think we have been stuck in limbo ever since Bruce reworked how this team plays.

it’s better to stand pat until end of season and allow the players to determine themselves how hungry they are, what we have and don’t, who is expendable, who can be built around, and also potentially allow some of them to up trade value if possible. 

I just don’t feel that there really were many moves to be made once this team started winning again. It’s awesome but the paradox is it’s also handcuffing 

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Sorry, but are you Motte’s relative?

how the hell do any of us know what his agent was commanding? Two sides to this equation. If he was going to be affordable - he’s already proven his value to EVERYONE including mgmt - he would have already been re-signed, no?

again, have to wait and see what he commands as a UFA before ppl dismiss this as failure.

I guess the part where I've said that Motte should've been kept until the end of the season flew right past your head, nowhere have I mentioned anything about resigning him at any amount. I'll reiterate that what bothers me about this trade is that Allvin chose a 4th rounder over team morale and chemistry. This is a close knit group, you don't have to be anyone's relative to figure that out; it's been said by the players and BB themselves. Taking a key member of that group out for a 4th rounder while they believe they can fight for the playoffs is not a good look. Everyone whined about the previous regime's supposed effect on team morale and now those same people seem to be justifying this move as something progressive. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, RWJC said:

Yeah I hear ya, I just think we have been stuck in limbo ever since Bruce reworked how this team plays.

it’s better to stand pat until end of season and allow the players to determine themselves how hungry they are, what we have and don’t, who is expendable, who can be built around, and also potentially allow some of them to up trade value if possible. 

I just don’t feel that there really were many moves to be made once this team started winning again. It’s awesome but the paradox is it’s also handcuffing 

Honestly if we got a 3rd for Motte I would have been happier, I was hoping for a young player, much like how we acquired Motte for Vanek.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 13231 said:

I guess the part where I've said that Motte should've been kept until the end of the season flew right past your head, nowhere have I mentioned anything about resigning him at any amount. I'll reiterate that what bothers me about this trade is that Allvin chose a 4th rounder over team morale and chemistry. This is a close knit group, you don't have to be anyone's relative to figure that out; it's been said by the players and BB themselves. Taking a key member of that group out for a 4th rounder while they believe they can fight for the playoffs is not a good look. Everyone whined about the previous regime's supposed effect on team morale and now those same people seem to be justifying this move as something progressive. 

I totally understand and agree with the chemistry/character part. I do. I don’t like losing him.

but this is business.

if Motte walked in the offseason and signed a reasonable contract elsewhere, ppl would be saying it’s the same $hit JB allowed to happen with some of our core.

you have to get value when there is uncertainty. Had the whole year to sign to a new deal but it didn’t happen. Congrats to him for upping his value and it’s a definite blow to the room for the short term, but this is also a signal to the rest of the roster that almost anyone is up for trade. That room does need a shake up. This was a start.

4 minutes ago, 13231 said:

I guess the part where I've said that Motte should've been kept until the end of the season flew right past your head, nowhere have I mentioned anything about resigning him at any amount

You do realize that waiting till the end of the season would have resulted in him likely walking to free agency and getting nothing in return. His value to a contender goes to zero once the trade deadline has passed. Best to trade him now while they can still get something in return for him

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You do realize that waiting till the end of the season would have resulted in him likely walking to free agency and getting nothing in return. His value to a contender goes to zero once the trade deadline has passed. Best to trade him now while they can still get something in return for him

Yes and when he becomes a Free Agent after this season we could offer him a contract, just like we would have had to do next season anyways

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Totally, and given his injury history I would want to cash in now if I was him too. Don’t blame him, wish him all the best, and thankful for his time in the jersey because he 100% committed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

watching allvins pressers makes me miss JB's winnie the pooh like vibe 

J.B.: Well you know, Travis is a young puck moving defenseman. He is physical he can skate. I think he can really take another step in his development with us here. I feel we have a really good group of defensemen that can control the game from our own end. We have Hughes and Ekman Larsson. Now we are adding another piece to the puzzle and we are ready to compete down the stretch here. 

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I totally understand and agree with the chemistry/character part. I do. I don’t like losing him.

but this is business.

if Motte walked in the offseason and signed a reasonable contract elsewhere, ppl would be saying it’s the same $hit JB allowed to happen with some of our core.

you have to get value when there is uncertainty. Had the whole year to sign to a new deal but it didn’t happen. Congrats to him for upping his value and it’s a definite blow to the room for the short term, but this is also a signal to the rest of the roster that almost anyone is up for trade. That room does need a shake up. This was a start.

Fair enough, you have a valid point as well. I overall saw more value in keeping Motte despite the likelihood of losing him in free agency, but so be it now. I hope this all leads to a more elaborately executed plan in the off season, that's going to be the management's real test. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maddogy said:

J.B.: Well you know, Travis is a young puck moving defenseman. He is physical he can skate. I think he can really take another step in his development with us here. I feel we have a really good group of defensemen that can control the game from our own end. We have Hughes and Ekman Larsson. Now we are adding another piece to the puzzle and we are ready to compete down the stretch here. 

Haha you’re missing about 17 “you knows”

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Jeez, I can't believe what I'm reading in the Motte trade thread in regards to new management.

- We cleared cap, got capital.

- Motte was market value, emotional connection to the player doesn't make them more valuable to the rest of the league.

- Every other player is still on contract and can be dealt in the off season, where most of our moves are likely to happen, as has been reported the whole time. No need to make knee jerk trades.

- New management IS following their STRATEGY. Taking their time and making moves that support that is crucial and something past management never did. Let them take their time and create a cup contender.

Yeah, I'm laughing at you. 

The chances of getting a player like Motte with a 4th is extremely rare, even though he was a 4th. That was pure luck.

Motte's an energizer.

You want guys like that on your team. 

Is Motte the be-all, end-all? 

Of course not, but don't come across as though you simply can't believe what others have a choice to think, and believe anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't have a clue.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Vintage 2

I am not excited about the results of this deadline, but I do think the team is incrementally better off overall. Now let's go make the playoffs.

I'd like to see this.

Lotto

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hogz Dick Podz

Highmore Richardson Lammikko

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Poolman/Juulsen/Burroughs

Go Canucks Go!

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Well, at least Jimbo had a down home country vibe, hair grease and all, that was kinda endearing in a way….….but infuriating to some for sure. ::D

Allvin…is just so….sleep inducing. How great would it be to have, let’s say, a Ray Ferraro-level type speaker as GM? One can dream….hey, maybe we forge new ground in sports one day with a husband wife management duo of Ray and Cammi. 

We would need the barf emoji.

To assess the trade deadline moves,

One must first ask oneself the question:  What if Edmonton loses their back-to-backs against the Stars and Avalanche starting tonight, Vegas loses it's tough matchup tonight in regulation, and we win 2 of our upcoming games against the Stars, Avalanche and Wild?

One must then proceed to assess where that leaves us in the playoff standings with 5 games yet to play against the Knights, Stars, and Oilers, plus a game in hand over Vegas.

One must then ask oneself what is the overall playoff picture like after the circumstances outlined above occur, if they occur.

One must also take note of the fact that Edmonton, Dallas and Vegas all played like crap for a stretch before they got hot again like the Canucks are playing like crap right now.  Why must one rule out the Canucks getting hot again the way the Oilers, Stars and Knights seem to be?

One should also take note that the fan forums were ruling out the Oiler's playoff chances around 7-10 days ago.

One has many questions to think about.

Edited by CanucksFan8353
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1