The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Mar. 26, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Some late comments.

1. As many people have said, great game from Petey. Love his 200 ft game.  Two big goals tonight but also very good on the PK. And he is an offensive threat on the PK which helps to keep opposing PP's honest. He deserved a shortie tonight.

2. Demko was great tonight, as many people have said.  And we were pretty fortunate with posts, a crossbar, and some wide-open net opportunities that were missed. But, while Demko played well,  this was not a steal. The Canucks deserved win, Natural Stat Trick the Canucks ahead in expected goal for 3.44 to 2.94.

3. Happy with Dermott so far. His underlying metrics looks good (although his ice time is not high and he is not playing tough minutes). And I think he looks good by the "eye test". Lockwood was ok. Hope he has more impact as he settles in. 

4. People have criticized Chiasson a lot. I don't like to jump on the bandwagon, but he made a poor play on the Dallas goal and he raretly manages to cash in his opportunities. He did have a post tonight, but it would be nice to see something go in. Petan has also been kind of disappointing. On the plus side, he is not making obvious mistakes and he is trying hard to be responsible defensively, so he not hurting the team. But it is hard to see him as anything more than a replacement level player  

5. A lot of positive comments about Podkolzin in the PGT. He did look good. But one thing that has been true about him since even before he was drafted is that he always looks better that his scoring numbers.  He has a high ratio of opportunities to points.  BB has said that he will learn to finish. I hope he does.  He is a good player. He is good defensively and plays with a lot of energy. He just doesn't seem to make the right play to put points on the board often enough. But he is a rookie and I am hoping for a big step forward next year. 

6. A big win for a tired but resilient team.  It is hard to make up ground on the playoff bar as this time of the season but the Canucks are inching ahead. 

The players and staff, had shown they want that playoff shot and they had fully bought in, to Boudreaus' system.  This will be a fun ending to the regular season and with some luck -  a playoff berth.

9 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Canucks were definitely lucky in pulling this one off... a lot of Dallas hitting the post.

But on the other end... the wide open Canuck goal that the Dallas player missed... that same player had just seen Demko make an impossible save on him and that was a factor in his hands tightening up and hitting the post.

Demko was definitely the best Canuck... giving Petey his due for scoring two crucial goals.

Anyone notice Dallas was giving Pettersson a lot more room on the PP?  That was a mistake.  If a team does that, then he gets those one timers and a lot of them will go in.

I'm only sorry that Pettersson did not shoot on the 2nd two on one instead of trying to get it through to Horvat... would have liked to see a hat-trick.

Also want to give a shout out to Podz... his forecheck and overall defensive play was excellent... he was breaking up Dallas plays both in the Dallas zone and in the neutral zone... was right on the puck all night.

Anyone watch the Calgary/Deadmonton game?  Calgary feasted on the Coilers lax D play... just filled the net.  Even though Draisaitl got a hat-trick, it didn't matter.  Coilers goalie was dazed and confused by the end.  :blink:

At the end of the 3rd those two consecutive checks on the puck at about the 5 min mark. He almost single handedly kept knocking them back into their zone. Was great to see. 

I could see him growing at least 20-25 pounds of muscle. 

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

A lot of positive comments about Podkolzin in the PGT. He did look good. But one thing that has been true about him since even before he was drafted is that he always looks better that his scoring numbers.  He has a high ratio of opportunities to points.  BB has said that he will learn to finish. I hope he does.  He is a good player. He is good defensively and plays with a lot of energy. He just doesn't seem to make the right play to put points on the board often enough. But he is a rookie and I am hoping for a big step forward next year. 

This is true...people who look at the scoresheet and stats to determine a player's contribution and "worth" won't see what he brings. 

I watched every game of the Juniors and was so impressed with him. Like Petey, he can be a little (too) unselfish at times. He seems to love the physical aspect of the game and isn't shy about getting in there and battling for the puck. He creates stuff out of nothing at times.

He seems to already fit in and isn't intimidated out there. He's strong and I can see him becoming a really gritty player for us....really love his game.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes the graph is incorrect. Only the Sedins ever managed to get 60 assists in an entire season out of all those players. Daniel did it once and Henrik did it several times. 

EDIT:  I think I figured it out. Miller hit 80 points last night. So the graph probably is supposed to read fewest games to hit 80 points in a season.  Makes sense given the names on there. 

I'll consider a deep-dive after breakfast, but for now I accept your theory as a solid hunch. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Canucks were definitely lucky in pulling this one off... a lot of Dallas hitting the post.

But on the other end... the wide open Canuck goal that the Dallas player missed... that same player had just seen Demko make an impossible save on him and that was a factor in his hands tightening up and hitting the post.

Demko was definitely the best Canuck... giving Petey his due for scoring two crucial goals.

Anyone notice Dallas was giving Pettersson a lot more room on the PP?  That was a mistake.  If a team does that, then he gets those one timers and a lot of them will go in.

I'm only sorry that Pettersson did not shoot on the 2nd two on one instead of trying to get it through to Horvat... would have liked to see a hat-trick.

Also want to give a shout out to Podz... his forecheck and overall defensive play was excellent... he was breaking up Dallas plays both in the Dallas zone and in the neutral zone... was right on the puck all night.

Anyone watch the Calgary/Deadmonton game?  Calgary feasted on the Coilers lax D play... just filled the net.  Even though Draisaitl got a hat-trick, it didn't matter.  Coilers goalie was dazed and confused by the end.  :blink:

the Dallas PK was so static I was wondering if I missed the news that they had hired Green. 

We were a tired team, and still found a way. Yes they had two posts, but we had some wide open misses as well. 

I'd be happy to match up against Dallas in the playoffs. 

Edited by JM_
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless.  Miller's trade this summer will return a great many goodies.  :frantic:

If it was going to happen, it would have happened this TDL.

I just want to clear some cap this offseason, and land at least one of Paul, Deslauriers, or Crouse. 2/3 and we're a serious threat in the Pacific. 

• Thanks 1

Saw the slowmo video of the Pettersson second goal and it’s actually ridiculous. He changes the angle, puts it through the dmans legs and places a perfect shot. Unreal 

Also Agree on the Flames. Pukey puke. Fortunately the had to beat the Oilers for our sake. I ain’t going praise them though 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Regardless.  Miller's trade this summer will return a great many goodies.  :frantic:

JT has had a part in 44% of the entire team goals.  How are these 'goodies' going to replace that?

Maybe after they have developed their games in 3 or more years; if ever.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

When you see it…

FO0HW-lVcAI4gi6?format=jpg&name=large

Dickinson could very well still be a good player for us. He hasn’t been able to adapt and play his game consistently here but that doesn’t mean he won’t. He was good in Dallas 

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1