The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oscars Launch Formal Review of Will Smith After Chris Rock Slap

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

Imagine how much more of an impact Will Smith and JPS would have had if they stood up together and walked out together when that joke happened.  

Yep. There would have been tons of support for them and Chris Rock would probably be the one to apologize....

..... also, CDC would not have a 15+ page thread running about it....

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Are we for sure this wasn’t staged?  I thought at first view this has to be staged.  Then, with the fallout, my mind changed to not staged.  Now, seeing the publicity this has brought to that industry (and those involved) I’m wondering if it was staged?  

Could this have been staged, and the people involved didn’t realize how badly their “act” would go over?  

Will Smith was the odds-on favorite for Best Actor.....he didn't need the "publicity"....

Honestly, I can't understand why some people are never happy with the obvious explanation and want to turn it into some kind of bizarre conspiracy....:unsure:

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Will Smith was the odds-on favorite for Best Actor.....he didn't need the "publicity"....

Honestly, I can't understand why some people are never happy with the obvious explanation and want to turn it into some kind of bizarre conspiracy....:unsure:

That's the internet. Occam's razor is getting pretty dull.

I saw something about Chris wearing a pad on his face...I guess to suggest a protection from the hit? of course it was a manipulated image. 

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It looked staged but I dont think it was.

I'm sure someone would leak that type of info. Chris seemed to know Will was going to do something with his smirk as Will walked up, he even may have thought that Will is going to pretend to slap him or pretend rough him up. But it looked like a hard hit and Chris' reaction seemed genuine. 

I think this incident may have elevated Chris' career for the moment but the publicity that Will, Jada and the Oscars are receiving looks to be detrimental to their brands. 

this might be the first incident where people were confused over who to cancel. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That's the internet. Occam's razor is getting pretty dull.

I saw something about Chris wearing a pad on his face...I guess to suggest a protection from the hit? of course it was a manipulated image. 

Yeah, that sort of thing happens a lot, but I doubt the people responsible really believe it....they're just putting it out there to see how many suckers they can catch....

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Attention mostly I think. It's not much different as to why people troll.  Or it could be someone who comes up with theories that they want to be correct so they fail to ask questions about their theory and just jump to conclusions.

"I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate," the actor wrote in a statement carried by several entertainment news sites.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

Can't take credit for this. I stole it from someone..............

"I got in one little fight and my mumma got scared, she said ‘you can’t slap Chris Rock coz your wife has no hair’"

Sorry for getting this stuck in your head.

Edited by nuckin_futz

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/will-smith-banned-attending-oscars-10-years-1234715251/

Will Smith Banned from Attending Oscars Ceremony and Academy Events for 10 Years

The Board of Governors accepted Smith's resignation and banned him from attending any Academy events for 10 years starting April 8.

The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage.

During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented.

Today, the Board of Governors convened a meeting to discuss how best to respond to Will Smith’s actions at the Oscars, in addition to accepting his resignation. The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.

We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast.

This action we are taking today in response to Will Smith’s behavior is a step toward a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests, and restoring trust in the Academy. We also hope this can begin a time of healing and restoration for all involved and impacted.

Thank you,

David Rubin and Dawn Hudson

I don't really want to comment on this topic too much but can someone explain how Will Smith gets a 10 year ban while Adrien Brody gets nothing for sexually harassing Halle Berry in an earlier event ?

I'm not defending Will Smith or anything but this punishment feels like a double standard 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I don't really want to comment on this topic too much but can someone explain how Will Smith gets a 10 year ban while Adrien Brody gets nothing for sexually harassing Halle Berry in an earlier event ?

I'm not defending Will Smith or anything but this punishment feels like a double standard 

Different time different standards. Also Will already resigned from t he Academy so he will not be invited to these award shows going forward anyways. 

This is more like the Academy trying to set a hefty precedent to discourage anyone from doing this again without really levying any real punishment. 

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Different time different standards. Also Will already resigned from t he Academy so he will not be invited to these award shows going forward anyways. 

This is more like the Academy trying to set a hefty precedent to discourage anyone from doing this again without really levying any real punishment. 

True but it's still pretty gross that it's still considered "one of the greatest Oscar moments" heck the link is from the Academy youtube page. 

I guess it's too late to really ban Adrien Brody (it's not like he's doing much outside Wes Anderson's films anyways) but the academy should at least remove this video and also condemn this moment (if they haven't already)

34 minutes ago, gurn said:

^ Bill is well aware of the damage of cancelling speech.

His Politicaly Incorrect show ended after he said something about 9/11 that people got al upset about.

cancelling has become stupid. It began legitimately with removing abusers from positions of power, but now you can't tell a joke. Or worse, people support violence because they didn't like a joke.

I don't agree with Maher on many things, but he's right about a lot of things when it comes to the far left going off the rails. 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

The amount of people that think it was ok for Will to go neanderthal on Chris is astounding.

The problem with the idea of "He said something offensive, thus deserved it" is rather obvious.

To put it really simply.

This attitude/thinking would allow me, or anyone to slap or beat up anybody that said something the aggressor feels is offensive.

"He said Have a good one, and I can't stand that, so I slapped him"

"He said, Good morning, and I wasn't having a good morning so I hit him with my tire wrench".

• Vintage 4

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

The amount of people that think it was ok for Will to go neanderthal on Chris is astounding.

The problem with the idea of "He said something offensive, thus deserved it" is rather obvious.

To put it really simply.

This attitude/thinking would allow me, or anyone to slap or beat up anybody that said something the aggressor feels is offensive.

"He said Have a good one, and I can't stand that, so I slapped him"

"He said, Good morning, and I wasn't having a good morning so I hit him with my tire wrench".

you couldn't have a better recruitment situation for Ben Shapiro followers. This is the "moral betters" thing he likes to push as being what the entire left is made of. People are making it really easy for him. 

I miss good old boring centre politics. 

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

True but it's still pretty gross that it's still considered "one of the greatest Oscar moments" heck the link is from the Academy youtube page. 

I guess it's too late to really ban Adrien Brody (it's not like he's doing much outside Wes Anderson's films anyways) but the academy should at least remove this video and also condemn this moment (if they haven't already)

Wes Anderson films are amazing though! 

;)

• Cheers 2