The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yandle's Ironman Streak Ending

Rate this topic

HKSR

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

https://www.tsn.ca/keith-yandle-philadelphia-flyers-ironman-streak-ending-1.1779884

I dunno how I feel about this.  It's not like the Flyers are playing any meaningful games right now.  A bit classless if you ask me.  I look at what Arizona did for Kessel...

He's likely the worst defenseman in the NHL right now. They let him play way too long and he should probably feel lucky to be on the ice at all this season. Giving developing players minutes is more important than a vanity project. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, -SN- said:

He's likely the worst defenseman in the NHL right now. They let him play way too long and he should probably feel lucky to be on the ice at all this season. Giving developing players minutes is more important than a vanity project. 

I know it's not the be all end all, but with a Corsi of 52%, I doubt he's the worst defenceman in the league.  I'm one of those that doesn't put a lot of weight on +/- stats.

I'm sure the Flyers have their reasons, but for a team that's dead last in their division to do this, it's a slap in the face to Yandle....

If I'm a free agent, this is the kind of thing that makes me think twice about signing there....

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm sure the Flyers have their reasons, but for a team that's dead last in their division to do this, it's a slap in the face to Yandle....

If I'm a free agent, this is the kind of thing that makes me think twice about signing there....

Exactly.  If the Flyers were somewhat in a race for a wildcard spot, I'd fully understand it.  But with less than 15 games left in the entire season for them, it's like you said, a slap in the face to Yandle.

• Cheers 1

Yandle is not good anymore, and would have been scratched a while ago if there was no streak.

But scratching him just so guys like Nick Seeler can play more, is very questionable.

Might as well let him play the season out. Yandle likely retires at seasons end, so just let him reach the 1000 game mark (he's at 989).

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Would I sign for a team that traded FOR and extended Ristolainen to that contract...?

39 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Yandle is not good anymore, and would have been scratched a while ago if there was no streak.

But scratching him just so guys like Nick Seeler can play more, is very questionable.

Might as well let him play the season out. Yandle likely retires at seasons end, so just let him reach the 1000 game mark (he's at 989).

It'd be a shame if he didn't at least hit 1k, he's had a solid career.

I'm always disappointed when players come up just short of that mark, I'm still disappointed Datsyuk never did. 

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It'd be a shame if he didn't at least hit 1k, he's had a solid career.

I'm always disappointed when players come up just short of that mark, I'm still disappointed Datsyuk never did. 

He has played 1000 games, I was just meaning his ironman streak could have reached 1000 if he wasn't scratched at all.

Although I didn't realize he's at 1099 career games, would be a shame if he doesn't get to pay game 1100.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -SN- said:

Rielly and Barrie are still allowed to not even attempt to play defence and their coaches don't put them in the press box where they belong.  Both of those pylons are easily worse than Yandle and their teams are still risking their seasons to continue to play their AHL trash.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Rielly and Barrie are still allowed to not even attempt to play defence and their coaches don't put them in the press box where they belong.  Both of those pylons are easily worse than Yandle and their teams are still risking their seasons to continue to play their AHL trash.

Whose that horrid defender on the Soilers with eyes that look like he got kicked in the head by a cow when he was 10? 

I wanted to see him hit 1000 games, but honestly, if he's not good enough, then tough beans. You gotta earn your way in the NHL. Kessel isn't too far behind him and is still a solid 2nd line forward, so he might hit 1000 games next year anyway.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Oh hell no, Yandle is not even ahl level anymore. If he didn't have the ironman streak he would have been sat months ago

Yandle has been brutal this year.  He should be thankful that the Flyers signed him and allowed him to play enough games this year to break the record.  Why should they allow him now to hit 1000 games?  Is it in his contract?  He got the record.  Kessel will break it because he can still play whereas nobody will sign Yandle for next year so he will be retiring.

At least he can say he owned the record for a year...