The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

And JB didn't get anything for Marky. 

It was logically impossible to trade Marky.  

Whoever thinks it was, I'd like to hear how they think the events should've unfolded. 

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It was logically impossible to trade Marky.  

Whoever thinks it was, I'd like to hear how they think the events should've unfolded. 

Markstrom was our starting goalie.  Boeser got hurt so Benning traded for Toffoli to help us make the playoffs.  We make the playoffs and go 2 rounds.  Markstrom gets hurt and Demko takes over.  Demko destroys the Stanley Cup champs.  Demko's coming out party.  So of course Benning decides to keep Demko and so he has no choice but to let Markstrom walk as he was a UFA.

Of course some people think we should have traded Markstrom at the trade deadline and roll with Demko, who was unproven at that point.  Those are the course of events.  It was impossible, as you say, to trade Markstrom.  And JR/PA did the same thing this year.  They didn't trade Miller when he was at his peak with a great cap hit.  Now they go into the summer with Miller's trade value dropping big time.  JR/PA did exactly what Benning did but nobody says a word cause JR won the Cups.  Can't question anything he did.  Dermott for a 3rd round pick was a typical Benning type move, but because JR did it it was fine, no problem at all.  Like Dermott is actually worth a 3rd round pick.  Benning traded a 3rd round pick to get a top 4 Dman in Schmidt.  How is Dermott even comparable to Schmidt?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Markstrom was our starting goalie.  Boeser got hurt so Benning traded for Toffoli to help us make the playoffs.  We make the playoffs and go 2 rounds.  Markstrom gets hurt and Demko takes over.  Demko destroys the Stanley Cup champs.  Demko's coming out party.  So of course Benning decides to keep Demko and so he has no choice but to let Markstrom walk as he was a UFA.

Of course some people think we should have traded Markstrom at the trade deadline and roll with Demko, who was unproven at that point.  Those are the course of events.  It was impossible, as you say, to trade Markstrom.  And JR/PA did the same thing this year.  They didn't trade Miller when he was at his peak with a great cap hit.  Now they go into the summer with Miller's trade value dropping big time.  JR/PA did exactly what Benning did but nobody says a word cause JR won the Cups.  Can't question anything he did.  Dermott for a 3rd round pick was a typical Benning type move, but because JR did it it was fine, no problem at all.  Like Dermott is actually worth a 3rd round pick.  Benning traded a 3rd round pick to get a top 4 Dman in Schmidt.  How is Dermott even comparable to Schmidt?

Benning not trading Markstrom (or Demko) is a bigger issue...it was known full well that if we kept both, one was being lost for nothing, guaranteed, at the expansion draft.  If there was great value to get for Markstrom (or Demko) before that deadline...it should have been given a lot of thought.

Miller...anything can happen.  We can still trade him next year, this summer, re-sign him, whatever.  He still has value next year.  He is not guaranteed to be lost for nothing in an expansion draft.  The day Green and Benning were fired, I would have been pretty open to just tearing down everything not named Demko and Hughes...but then the Canucks played so well under Bruce that playoffs were a very legitimate possibility right up until they blew those couple of games right before the deadline.  Maybe getting max value for Miller at that point was the right move...but at the same time, maybe there weren't great offers that would be much better than his value in the summer or during next season.  Anyway, with the way the Canucks were playing it made sense to hang onto him and wait and see at least until those two losses.

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

We win the next two and we are only 2 points behind them with same number of games played. Win at least one in regulation in the next two and beat them in our head 2 head and we pass them assuming we win the same number of games as LA for the other games.

Now question is can we surpass Vegas.

to pass Vegas all Canuck fans need to hold hand and pray for Edmonton and Calgary to beat Vegas

8 hours ago, CanucksFan8353 said:

No need to talk about cheering for other teams.  Canucks are winning it all this year!! :canucks:  Once again, huge credit to Alf, who made me a believer with his posts at the beginning of the season.

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

to pass Vegas all Canuck fans need to hold hand and pray for Edmonton and Calgary to beat Vegas

It might be the first time in my life that I cheer for Calgary.  You can make a team composed of the all time dirt bags including Brian Marchment, Claude Lemieux, Ulf Samuelsson, Mark Messier and Sean Avery and I’d cheer for them before I would cheer for Calgary. just this once I’ll pull for the hemorrhoid red team. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Benning not trading Markstrom (or Demko) is a bigger issue...it was known full well that if we kept both, one was being lost for nothing, guaranteed, at the expansion draft.  If there was great value to get for Markstrom (or Demko) before that deadline...it should have been given a lot of thought.

So Demko would've been traded the summer before the season, and we would have Marky right now signed for the 6 x 6 deal.  

I don't think you're remembering well how little Demko had proven at the time.  He was still fresh from injuries that had ended his season in Utica (concussion).  There was absolutely no way in hell that we would have kept Demko and traded away Marky at the time.  

Also one more thing, goalies do not fetch a lot.  Demko would've gotten us a 2nd round pick at most.  

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Markstrom was our starting goalie.  got hurt so Benning traded for Toffoli to help us make the playoffs.  We make the playoffs and go 2 rounds.  Markstrom gets hurt and Demko takes over.  Demko destroys the Stanley Cup champs.  Demko's coming out party.  So of course Benning decides to keep Demko and so he has no choice but to let Markstrom walk as he was a UFA.

This should be pinned, so it doesn't have to be explained constantly...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So Demko would've been traded the summer before the season, and we would have Marky right now signed for the 6 x 6 deal.  

I don't think you're remembering well how little Demko had proven at the time.  He was still fresh from injuries that had ended his season in Utica (concussion).  There was absolutely no way in hell that we would have kept Demko and traded away Marky at the time.  

Also one more thing, goalies do not fetch a lot.  Demko would've gotten us a 2nd round pick at most.  

Well, we were losing one for sure.  I think most people were resigned to losing Demko and then his play against Vegas changed things.  It wasn't the end of the world to keep both but if the plan was to roll with Markstrom then I would have been shopping Demko around.  A second round pick would have been fine for me...we were losing him for nothing in the expansion draft.  Then we get the 2nd round pick and lose the same player we actually did in the expansion draft.

It was just bad timing that the Seattle draft came along when we had two goalies we wanted to keep.  More Canuck luck but there was plenty of warning.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm pretty sure Marky was in net when we beat the Blues in Round 1 though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

This should be pinned, so it doesn't have to be explained constantly...

Marky beat the cup champs and play in vs Wild, not Demko. Demko was 2-1 vs VGK. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We should have traded Demko after his bubble performance and kept Marky.  Gillis got us Bo for Schneider.  Demko wasn’t worth that value, but he was worth a lot.  Maybe a couple seconds and a prospect?  Should have signed Tanev and Togo too.

Holtby + Schmidt + Jake

or

Marky + Tanev + Tofu + the assets gained trading Demko.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We should have traded Demko after his bubble performance and kept Marky.  Gillis got us Bo for Schneider.  Demko wasn’t worth that value, but he was worth a lot.  Maybe a couple seconds and a prospect?  Should have signed Tanev and Togo too.

Holtby + Schmidt + Jake

or

Marky + Tanev + Tofu + the assets gained trading Demko.

Thing is Alf, Demko has been very good for us - comparable stats to Markstroms best season with us.    He's younger, costs one million less, doesn't have the injury issues etc, and is a much better goalie then Markstrom was at the same age.   Much better.    And Markstrom was injured that year twice.    And most importantly, teams could only keep one goalie, the return for Demko would have not been a Horvat.   At best maybe a McAan.   Late first.   Any other year i'd probably agree with you. 

Edit: Schneider was a proven goalie.   Top five at the time (which you pointed out).    Demko had THREE stellar games.   I remember Boucher rattling off 5 shut-outs in a row.   And Hammond winning his first 23ish NHL games for OTT.   It's a fickle position.   We took a modest risk in signing Demko - but he for sure has the possibility of becoming a goalie who will surpass all but Luongo, maybe even him IF things work out and he re-signs. 

As far as Tanev yes we should have signed him.   We could have traded Brock and signed Tyler i suppose, but wow imagine the freaking out over a move like that.   Didn't have the cap space.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Thing is Alf, Demko has been very good for us - comparable stats to Markstroms best season with us.    He's younger, costs one million less, doesn't have the injury issues etc, and is a much better goalie then Markstrom was at the same age.   Much better.    And Markstrom was injured that year twice.    And most importantly, teams could only keep one goalie, the return for Demko would have not been a Horvat.   At best maybe a McAan.   Late first.   Any other year i'd probably agree with you. 

Edit: Schneider was a proven goalie.   Top five at the time (which you pointed out).    Demko had THREE stellar games.   I remember Boucher rattling off 5 shut-outs in a row.   And Hammond winning his first 23ish NHL games for OTT.   It's a fickle position.   We took a modest risk in signing Demko - but he for sure has the possibility of becoming a goalie who will surpass all but Luongo, maybe even him IF things work out and he re-signs. 

As far as Tanev yes we should have signed him.   We could have traded Brock and signed Tyler i suppose, but wow imagine the freaking out over a move like that.   Didn't have the cap space.  

Yup.  Ship sailed.  Demko is now better than Marky.  Fingers, eyes, and furry toes crossed in hopes we can build a competitive team while we have Demko.  The Hamonic trade had me excited this new management will be better.  Then we give up our third for Dermott, which reminded me of too many Benning trades of picks for developed 23-26 year olds in hopes to speed up the retool.  

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah all good points. 

You gotta wonder how Schmidt would look on our blueline under BB in a high pressure system rather than TG and Baumers in the give up the D zone entry and go into passive zone. Not that these 2 players are linked but

I'm happy we got OEL anyway. He's looked good and steady. 

He ran an amazing PP while quinn was sick. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Ship sailed.  Demko is now better than Marky.  Fingers, eyes, and furry toes crossed in hopes we can build a competitive team while we have Demko.  The Hamonic trade had me excited this new management will be better.  Then we give up our third for Dermott, which reminded me of too many Benning trades of picks for developed 23-26 year olds in hopes to speed up the retool.  

I think the Hammer move was more of a locker room move and perhaps even finding cap flexibility for next season without too much drop in play for Dermott. 

Also yes,  I think most of us are glad that we have the younger better goalie locked down on a cheaper contract than markys 6x6 as an aging vet. 

Ppl suggesting that we should have traded Marky at the TDL while Demko was unproven and we were fighting for a playoff spot is out to lunch. (unless they had a crystal ball and foresaw demkos Vegas bubble performance) 

Or

Ppl that suggest we should have traded Demko after the bubble... 

Sure. Why don't we trade the better younger cheaper goalie for a solid but aging vet who will command more money? 

Also, Demko value for trade was not worth it. 

Just enjoy this team. We have a good thing going

40 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah all good points. 

You gotta wonder how Schmidt would look on our blueline under BB in a high pressure system rather than TG and Baumers in the give up the D zone entry and go into passive zone. Not that these 2 players are linked but

I'm happy we got OEL anyway. He's looked good and steady. 

He ran an amazing PP while quinn was sick. 

OEL should be on the first power play he gets results Quin is good enough to play either side they should give it a go.

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Cheers 1