The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

I find this management team to be much more direct, and almost pi**ed off.  They aren't happy missing playoffs and won't settle for patching holes with X players in the off season - like throwing mud at a wall and seeing what sticks. JR/PA seem focused on a plan, and by the sounds of it, the new management team has been very busy (doing what, who knows?) But, the Cup is the finish line and I can't wait for them to put their stamp on this team. It would really suck to lose Boudreau, if that happens, but if Gronborg is as good as they believe he is, then maybe he helps turn the Canucks into a contender.  Whatever's best for the team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

This fanbase can be pretty vocal/hostile....people are pretty fed up with the dog chasing its tail and FINALLY saw something (through the record) that seemed like it was settling.

I think they understand that changes have to be made without disrupting what they do have. Big ideas are fine, big egos that don't listen to the room don't always do what's right overall...they do what they think is right.

Fooled by which record? The start of the season or the end, because there were 2 to examine.

When asked if the play down the stretch had in any way changed their plans JR said "No" almost before the reporter could even finish the question.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

I look at it like this:

They have hinted at improving or changing the blue line so....

Hughes, Dermott and Schenn likely stay.

OEL probably stays?

There's only only guy left (not including Hunt or Rathbone). You can't bring back the same guys and blab about change. It's Myers or OEL.

Yeah, every time I try and find a way to improve the blueline, it always comes down to Myers.  There's simply no other way to improve it.

Like you said, Hughes, Dermott, Schenn, and OEL are all staying either because they're too good, too cheap, or impossible to move (OEL).

So Myers, Hunt, Burroughs, Poolman...

If we move out Myers and replace him with Poolman or Burroughs, is it a $3.5M to $5M reduction in performance?  Probably not...

Do gotta wonder a little bit on how Poolman could potentially play with Boudreau's system vs Green's terrible defensive system.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, mll said:

Full NMC throughout his contract.  Can't see them getting him to waive with how complicated it was the 1st time.

But to a good team that needs  PP1

Might be easier than we think. 

I think he'd like to put up big numbers again. Not possible as a defense only dman. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

You get the impression that the new Canucks brass have certain issues with Bruce’s coaching…the comments about “helping” him with certain things really stands out. But the guy just won so damn much they are under big pressure to bring him back. 

Hunt

• Haha 2

After watching the press conference I get the sense that Rutherford wants Bruce back for at least one year. He won’t commit to anything more than that because I think he wants to see Bruce put more structure into the defensive side of the game. I also kind of think that it’s a good idea to keep the pressure on Bruce and the players to keep improving.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

If the Canucks did not play with structure then how the heck did they win all those games in the second half of the season? Are the Canucks so talented that they won those games without structure? What does this tell you about those structured teams that lost to the Canucks?

I think the structure was mostly affected by Hamonic and covid and injuries to the bottom pairings. Ours was a defense held together by duck tape and bubble gum. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

When asked if the play down the stretch had in any way changed their plans JR said "No" almost before the reporter could even finish the question.  

Down the stretch isn't half a season or "since December".

JR knows that team chemistry is a big part of success and came in to only observe the locker room. I think he liked what he saw. That is, the Boudreau part at least. He didn't walk in with a samurai sword to make sweeping changes. Now I think he's got a small samurai sword ready to cut off the dead chunks and improve the team for next year. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Down the stretch isn't half a season or "since December".

Whatever time frame they were referring to, it sounded pretty clear that they weren't allowing our close call with the playoffs to affect their original evaluation of the team.  I believe that was mid-late January no?

Bruce - C'mon guys, go out and have fun, and who knows, maybe you win the game and feel good about yourself!

JR/PA - Winning is the only option. Full effort or you will not be on this team

being silly, but different mindsets, no way they re-sign Hunt

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR didn't extend Mike Sullivan after he won 2 cups, so it makes sense JR waits until after the season starts to evaluate him during the season the same way he handled Sullivan.  Boudreau didn't have the full year either so he needs to come to camp ready to go just like all the players.

But will they make him do the bag skate??

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

JR knows that team chemistry is a big part of success and came in to only observe the locker room. I think he liked what he saw. That is, the Boudreau part at least. He didn't walk in with a samurai sword to make sweeping changes. Now I think he's got a small samurai sword ready to cut off the dead chunks and improve the team for next year. 

He has Rambo's survival knife, lol. 

21 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Whatever time frame they were referring to, it sounded pretty clear that they weren't allowing our close call with the playoffs to affect their original evaluation of the team.  I believe that was mid-late January no?

So again...the evaluation of a team that was at the bottom and beat down after Green?

Or the one that was motivated and played like it?

A little shortsighted if they decided from the get go and were unwavering.

If they don't take it all into account and had made up their minds, they're doing a disservice to everyone. Small sample size may not have given them the whole picture. I'm sure it didn't. 

So are we talking Petey in November? Or in March?

JT?

They may have the same "goal" but I'm quite sure their evaluations of the players may have changed a bit over time and as things unfolded.