The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I get that feeling as well, he could get us the required defensive pieces needed and cap space at the same time. Podzokin and Hoglander would have to step up next year in his absence though.  

Well, PA did say they don't need to make major changes, so I just figured that "hey, he's not in their plans I guess", but now I'm wondering if that was intentional and just a negotiation tactic. Not pouring too much praise on Bo or JT right before they try to re-sign them.  They did say Miller and Horvat are both good players. I think they might have a number (salary and term) for both players, and won't go over that number. I guess we'll see. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Imagine a team like LVGK with ties btw McPhee / Bruce offer him a longer contract……what a gong show it would be here

Fletcher needs a new coach in Philadelphia.

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I understand that but it is, as you say, kinda harsh and the guy has some pride and more importantly, options. 

Yeah but with his story on not extending Sullivan plus saying Bruce didn't have a full year, I think JR takes a bit of the sting out of the pride part of it. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

Imagine a team like LVGK with ties btw McPhee / Bruce offer him a longer contract……what a gong show it would be here

Nobody is going to offer a 67 year old a long term deal.  If Bruce goes to Vegas it's probably a 2 year deal max.  I think Bruce and JR know each other well enough that they see this as the best way to move forward.  If Bruce wants to leave then that's fine, I am sure JR has a backup plan in the event that occurs.  

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

OEL might be easier because he still has high PP value. 

Full NMC throughout his contract.  Can't see them getting him to waive with how complicated it was the 1st time.

I would be shocked if at least one of myers or oel aren't moved, and equally shocked if allvin didn't go hard after kris letang on a reasonably priced retirement contract to teach the new crop of d how he wants them to play. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I get it, I just really liked what BB accomplished and thought he earned a 2 year extension. 

A 2 year extension is quite extensive for a 67 year old.  That would push him to age 70 by the time he is done.  

JR made a good point.  He doesn't want to put the team in a position where they are paying 3-4 coaches at the same time.  They are already paying 2 coaches right now.  If Bruce doesn't work out then you are looking at paying 3 coaches after next year.  I'm pretty sure Aquilini doesn't want to go down that route again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A 2 year extension is quite extensive for a 67 year old.  That would push him to age 70 by the time he is done.  

JR made a good point.  He doesn't want to put the team in a position where they are paying 3-4 coaches at the same time.  They are already paying 2 coaches right now.  If Bruce doesn't work out then you are looking at paying 3 coaches after next year.  I'm pretty sure Aquilini doesn't want to go down that route again.

How old is JR :ph34r:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I can see Bruce in Vegas quite easily.

:(

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Fletcher needs a new coach in Philadelphia.

:(

8 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, if Bruce ends up with the Showers I, for one, would lose it. 

:angry:

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody is going to offer a 67 year old a long term deal.  If Bruce goes to Vegas it's probably a 2 year deal max.  I think Bruce and JR know each other well enough that they see this as the best way to move forward.  If Bruce wants to leave then that's fine, I am sure JR has a backup plan in the event that occurs.  

Of course Ill just sit back and see how things play out, but if he does leave ….. yeah Ill be upset

• Cheers 1

So we are trying to compete next year for the playoffs, while building for a more competitive future.  Hmmm.  Where have we heard that before?

Seems like we might do nothing other than some minor moves around the edges.  

Bring back Bruce, Bo, and Miller all with no contracts for the following season.

Sign Brock to a short term deal, or just Qualify him.

What they did get right is we rely too much on a great goalie.  

But what changes, other than in coaching, can we make to improve if we are keeping Miller and Bo?  

I like bruce but I wouldn't extend him either. aside from the reasons mentioned, I also feel like once the upbeat, nice guy attitude wears thin and stops motivating, I don't think he has the technical coaching chops to steer the team. his systems and in-game adjustments and whatnot are far from elite nhl coaching level. 

there's a reason why his teams in the past haven't succeeded when it counts. I felt, even before he was hired, that he was the right midseason replacement for this group because of how negative things had gotten and because he is a super positive guy that would refresh the room. he's definitely not the coach I would choose to start trying to build a contender around. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2