The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Funny, some must've missed the part where he said they have enough good players to continue to build.  Most of the players played to the highest level.

Also: "in this league if you lose the wrong couple of players you can take a step backward" (glad they consider this in it all)..."but if you add the right couple of players you can take a step forward.  So I think it's fair to say adding the right couple of players that we can be a playoff team pretty quick". That, to me, doesn't say massive change...it says doing some work to add those key pieces.

You can cherry pick on both sides of this interview. But I hear talk about adding more than subtracting.

I guess time will tell.

Allvin also said they don't need to make major changes.

Can they have their pie and eat it too? - build up the prospect pool, bring in younger players, turn the Canucks into a contender, and not trade any of the big pieces in doing so. 

Seems like a tall order. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So again...the evaluation of a team that was at the bottom and beat down after Green?

Or the one that was motivated and played like it?

If they don't take it all into account and had made up their minds, they're doing a disservice to everyone. Small sample size may not have given them the whole picture. I'm sure it didn't. 

So are we talking Petey in November? Or in March?

JT?

They may have the same "goal" but I'm quite sure their evaluations of the players may have changed a bit over time and as things unfolded. 

That may have been the vibe you got but not me.  

I took it as they have identified some pretty specific areas that need improvement in spite of how the season played out in the end.  

They had some pretty positive things to say about Petey so obviously they didn't jump to any conclusions there.  

JT was an interesting topic wasn't it?  Sounds like they'd prefer to have him back but aren't necessarily set on it.  That's a probably wise.

I heard them say that the plan was unchanged not the "goal" but perhaps they misspoke. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What does that mean lol? 

As of right now, is BB under contract for the 2022 2023 season?

“[Bruce] knows we want him back. He was told that before the season was over,” Rutherford said. “Like I said, he did a terrific job. But he didn’t coach a whole season here.”

When asked if the Canucks would consider extending Boudreau beyond his current contract, which covered the 2021–22 season and includes an option for 2022–23 that Boudreau will have to accept by June 1st, Rutherford was insistent that the Canucks would honour the deal they signed with the head coach last December.

“We would be willing to have him back under the contract he agreed to when he came here,” Rutherford said. “And that’s certainly not to say that at the end of next year, we wouldn’t want him back [if] he continues to do the job he’s doing.

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

If the Canucks did not play with structure then how the heck did they win all those games in the second half of the season? Are the Canucks so talented that they won those games without structure? What does this tell you about those structured teams that lost to the Canucks?

They don’t want to be so reliant on Demko to cover up the structure issues.

But I will say that in a final part of the season, when Demko’s game had slipped a bit, the team carried HIM at times with some increased goal production.

• Vintage 1

They want to build a young core (mid-20s and under).  This would include (25 and under):

Pettersson

Boeser - re-signed  ($6.5 x 3)

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Lockwood

Hughes

Dermott

Can't have a team filled with young players though. They need veteran leadership:

Miller - re-signed  ($8 x 5)

Horvat - re-signed  ($6.25 x 5)

Chiasson - re-signed  ($1 x 2)

Ekman-Larsson

Schenn

Demko

Goodbye:

Garland

Pearson

Dickinson

Richardson

Sutter

Myers

Poolman

Hunt

Halak

Luongo penalty

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller's going to be traded. Just a feeling after this presser. They hardly mentioned him with regards to the future. Hardly talked about him at all. Surprising, seeing as he amassed 99 points. 

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Bruce: there he goes?

Are they arranging it so that Bruce himself pulls the plug?

1. Great summary by @MrCanuck94. I had just listened to the press conference and had already forgotten some of the points in the summary.

2. Very impressive press conference. What a difference from Benning. Also quite different from Gillis and from Nonis. 

3. For me, the headline is the clarification on the Boudreau situation. We now know there was a two-way option for next year. Either party could walk away. The Canucks have declined the walk-away option. They want Boudreau back. The ball is now in his court. The problem is that after the job he did he probably expected an extension and no doubt he could get a multi-year contract from another team. I would like to see Boudreau back but I can respect the Rutherford position. 

4. Further to the Boudreau situation, the discussion of the team lacking structure in its breakouts and depending too much on the goalie could be taken as a slight criticism of Boudreau or at least of a slight difference of opinion from Boudreau. I kind of agree with @Maniwaki Canuck. Boudreau did so well and is so popular with fans and players that there is no way Rutherford could exercise the team's walk-away option, but I get the sense he would not be too upset if Boudreau decided to walk away. 

5. Also, as @NUCKER67 indicates, the comments about Miller were restrained. He was only mentioned once and that was in direct response to a question about trying the re-sign him this summer. Early in the presser Rutherford emphasized building around guys in their early to mid-20s (i.e. not Miller) and in the discussion of the team's stars he was not mentioned. If Miller is willing to sign a team-friendly deal I am sure the Canucks would be happy to keep him but if he hold out for top dollar and/or long term I think he will be traded. 

6. If Miller or Boeser is traded they won't look at it as "rebuilding" or even as "taking a step back". They want to get better next year.  

• Cheers 3

I feel like them sort of skirting around the Miller thing is tactical and leans more toward them hoping they can keep him here. Keeping it low key rather than promoting and marketing him.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Funny, some must've missed the part where he said they have enough good players to continue to build.  Most of the players played to the highest level.

Also: "in this league if you lose the wrong couple of players you can take a step backward" (glad they consider this in it all, something realllly relevant to the talk about ripping key players out of the core)..."but if you add the right couple of players you can take a step forward.  So I think it's fair to say adding the right couple of players that we can be a playoff team pretty quick". That, to me, doesn't say massive change...it says doing some work to add those key pieces.

You can cherry pick on both sides of this interview. But I hear talk about adding more than subtracting.

I guess time will tell.

I think they saw the effect of losing Motte to team chemistry. Lower end player with a big impact on the forecheck and team attack mentally. 

I don't think they want to see that happen with JT. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It's all just speculation at this point.

Thing is, their "plan" is also highly dependent on the negotiations with players and that'll determine a lot in what happens. I'm sure they'd love to keep this group intact to some degree, however, things have to align in order to do so.

I'm sure they're not dead set on keeping someone like Miller if he demand's a king's ransom but they're also aware of an awfully big hole to fill if he's gone (one of those players that may mean a step backward). So it's tactful responses at this point....if the price is right stuff.

Very true!

I was encouraged because it sounds like they aren't "living day to day" as JB would say.  Looks like anything that is within their control to improve will be done.  Even little things like improving the facilities for Abbotsford.  

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, PA did say they don't need to make major changes, so I just figured that "hey, he's not in their plans I guess", but now I'm wondering if that was intentional and just a negotiation tactic. Not pouring too much praise on Bo or JT right before they try to re-sign them.  They did say Miller and Horvat are both good players. I think they might have a number (salary and term) for both players, and won't go over that number. I guess we'll see. 

It just seems like things are trending to signing Brock to a reasonable long term deal, and it sounds like they still want to do a semi major shake up to this roster and free up cap. Guys like Myers and Dickinson may not be easy to move. Not sure we keep both Bo and Miller depending on what numbers their agents give. 

• Vintage 1

Can they trade Miller (and others) and be better next year?  If they think so, I wonder who they are targeting. JR/PA said something to the effect of, the trick is not trading away the wrong players and adding the right players. Would be terrible to lose Miller, but what if the return was Barzal+, for example?  Barzal is a player that could probably use a change of scenery, he's fast and very skilled, and will only be 25. VAN could have pretty exciting team next season. 

Pettersson, Boeser, Podkolzin, Hughes, etc. are just getting their careers started. They'll get better as time goes on. With how Pettersson played the last bunch of games, they want him to play like that all year.  But if he, Horvat and Boeser can, and lined up with better support players, they could provide a lot of offense. Podkolzin looks like he's going to be very effective for years to come as well. 

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

They're completely right about structure and zone exits.  Was an even bigger problem under Green though.  Shaw made some difference but it's strange that with all the changes that have happened, this hasn't been fixed.

When you are playing a compressed schedule the way the Canucks did after Bruce arrived, it's hard to implement new systems with little to no practice time. They seemed to make some changes during that dead week when Aqua didn't want to play in an empty arena, but they need an entire camp and pre-season to install completely new systems.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

JR said Miller is a great player and will continue here after next year when his contract expires if the numbers make sense to both him and the team.

I wonder what that magic number is.  I have a feeling JR's offered salary starts with a 7