The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Will reach out to Miller and Horvat's agents to talk about extensions

Doesn't sound like he's into moving Miller or Horvat does it? 

Use the whole quote where he says if Miller's ask is too much, it's on to plan B of moving him for assets.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Use the whole quote where he says if Miller's ask is too much, it's on to plan B of moving him for assets.

Which makes sense. If Miller is asking for an insane contract then they will look at moving him.

CDC is acting like it's a given. Maybe let them work out what's best for the team. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Btw, I thought that was what Travis Green was trying to do. Didn't Hirsch emphatically say that there was nothing wrong with the system but that one Alpha Dog in the locker room didn't believe in it? 

They've been struggling to get out of their own zone for years

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Which makes sense. If Miller is asking for an insane contract then they will look at moving him.

CDC is acting like it's a given. Maybe let them work out what's best for the team. 

Well where's the fun in that???

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That means nothing though, talking to their agents.  Because JR/PA would've traded Miller at the TDL if they were out, tells me he's not in their future plans. So, as far as talking with his agent, it could be something like "We're prepared to offer JT $7.5 over 5 years". End of conversation I guess.

JR/PA have a plan, they're not going to crumble to fans wants. Sure Bruce is a good coach and an even greater guy by the sounds of it, hut he might not be their guy to bring glory to Vancouver. Just like JT might not be their guy to lead them.

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

didn't they say they stopped exploring trading miller coz they thought we had a chance at the playoff this year?? so miller would have possibly been traded if we were already out of the running at the TDL.. so they are definitely open to trading Miller if the $$ and term doesn't work.. and i still don't see Miller taking a massive discount to stay in vancouver.. anything vancouver can offer that is not max term and market value.. literally any team in the league can offer that for a player his caliber... if miller is willing signing for 7.5x6 there will be a lineup of contenders lined up and find ways to fit miller in at 7.5

to NYI:  Miller

to VAN:  #13, (LW) Kieffer Bellows and (RD) Bode Wilde 

Canucks would have the #13 and #15 and add Bellows and Wilde to their prospect pool. NYI have a C they can win with, now.  That would also really irk NYR fans for missing out on Miller. 

I can’t see Miller taking anything less than what Hertl got ($8 x 8yr).  Something in the $60M range.  

If he takes under $8M and less years…I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol you literally said he's very good but he's not responsible for half ofthe wins.. so put in any joe blow in there as long as he plays avg hockey the canucks would be around the same or maybe only slightly worse. demko might not be shesterkin level this year.. but up until march/april where he had fatigue issue and played thru injury later.. his HD sv% was actually better than the goalies u listed behind shesterkin. he literally was the only reason the canucks were even in a playoff race as the team no show to start the game almost every game up until march and he kept them in it till they showed up.. him and shesterkin have the most impact on a teams win than any other goalie out there coz really their team and defense really ain't that good...

Or maybe the back up isn't (that good) as well? Factor that in too.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Which isn't just "plan b" as a concrete plan because that involves other teams. People act as if trades are just one and done. 

So it's not like you can decide to ship him out without the plan b working out as well. I mean, they were likely already getting offers and I doubt they'll move him just for the sake of...it has to be right. So it'll likely involve a whole lot more than "it's this or goodbye" as they have to then make plan b something of value (too). If they didn't already strike while the iron was hot it tells me they likely are reluctant to let him go unless it's a pretty big deal (also). Letting him go because you're trying to save could cost a whole lot as well.

It sounds like they intend to re-sign Brock with term.  Can't say the same for Miller, he'll be 30 when a new contract would kick in. Do they want to commit $50-60 to an older veteran?  I can't see it, not if they want to get younger and build up the prospects like they said.  It's good to have veterans on the roster, but not any they're paying $8+ to for the next hundred years.

I get the feeling JR/PA will do what they want, to improve the team. Some of the moves won't be popular, but this isn't a popularity contest. They want to win a Cup here, this is how they're doing it. Let's enjoy the ride. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It sounds like they intend to re-sign Brock with term.  Can't say the same for Miller, he'll be 30 when a new contract would kick in. Do they want to commit $50-60 to an older veteran?  I can't see it, not if they want to get younger and build up the prospects like they said.  It's good to have veterans on the roster, but not any they're paying $8+ to for the next hundred years.

I get the feeling JR/PA will do what they want, to improve the team. Some of the moves won't be popular, but this isn't a popularity contest. They want to win a Cup here, this is how they're doing it. Let's enjoy the ride. 

"the next hundred years"

Why do people feel the need to exaggerate the scenario if JT stays?

A handful of years.

I like the general air of professionalism and the building of a top of the line front office and infrastructure plan. 
‘The rest really seems like boilerplate GM press-conference.

‘There are very rare situations when a GM comes and says we are tearing things down and are going to be bad. Happening more and more because of how the internet has brought fan involvement up more and more and people realize the natural cycle to teams but is still rare. 
We kind of are in a funny spot with some really good young players establishing a new core but they are far enough along that a tear down would alienate them and there is no guarantee that top 3 picks are going to be any better than Pettey, Quinn or Demko. 
‘The issue is what team do we build around this new young core and I don’t think the tiny, slow footed team that JB built around them is the answer. 
‘I thought given how close to the vest JR typically is he was practically shouting that significant changes are coming to the d-core which I whole-heartedly embrace. 
‘Going to be a fun off-season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Why do people feel the need to exaggerate the scenario if JT stays?

For the same reason people talk about the team having to rebuild if Miller gets traded.

Hyperbole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't think of anything Canucks-related, much worse than the possibility of hearing "Bruce, there it is!", in another team's building. That would really suck. I hope Bruce comes back and blows JR/PA away with his winning record. 

JR/PA said they don't want to take a step back, so I'm not sure how they'll avoid that if they do trade Miller. So many conflicting messages, really confusing as to what they might be thinking.

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I like the general air of professionalism and the building of a top of the line front office and infrastructure plan. 
‘The rest really seems like boilerplate GM press-conference.

‘There are very rare situations when a GM comes and says we are tearing things down and are going to be bad. Happening more and more because of how the internet has brought fan involvement up more and more and people realize the natural cycle to teams but is still rare. 
We kind of are in a funny spot with some really good young players establishing a new core but they are far enough along that a tear down would alienate them and there is no guarantee that top 3 picks are going to be any better than Pettey, Quinn or Demko. 
‘The issue is what team do we build around this new young core and I don’t think the tiny, slow footed team that JB built around them is the answer. 
‘I thought given how close to the vest JR typically is he was practically shouting that significant changes are coming to the d-core which I whole-heartedly embrace. 
‘Going to be a fun off-season. 

I do think that JB was intending to re-structure the team over this season/off season as well.  His timeline and JR's is, esssentially, the same.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

JR told Bruce that he wants him back and he heaped praise on him at the beginning of the press conference.  Boudreau also said that he wants to come back.  

I think that Rutherford is telling the Sullivan story because this is how he rolls. Sully negotiated a contract and Rutherford let it play out until the final year before negotiating a new contract despite winning 2 cups in the meantime.  He's doing the same with Boudreau, he's letting the original contract play out.  He said that they may negotiate another contract mid-season next year.

There is a risk that Boudreau signs elsewhere obviously but I see no reason why he would.  Both parties are happy with each other and I'm sure they have said as much to each other already.   

yup that all makes sense. I guess I'm used to bad management :lol:

I like what I'm hearing tho. He likes Miller and Boeser, but they have to come back on reasonable deals otherwise "plan b". I like these guys too but not at any cost.

We haven't had management be this transparent for a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

yup that all makes sense. I guess I'm used to bad management :lol:

I like what I'm hearing tho. He likes Miller and Boeser, but they have to come back on reasonable deals otherwise "plan b". I like these guys too but not at any cost.

We haven't had management be this transparent for a long time. 

I have no issues with this management group, however they didn't do anything significant at the deadline and we're hearing some of the same old rhetoric from them........"give them a chance to make the playoffs...........we like the group we have" etc etc.  The status quo is going nowhere and if they don't make significant changes, the team is going nowhere

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

For the same reason people talk about the team having to rebuild if Miller gets traded.

Hyperbole.

I don't see that happening much, could you point out a specific example?