The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm fine with him coming back, I'm just not as attached to the idea as others. If he's back great, if not there are some great options who'll need landing spots. I'd be happy with Trotz or Maurice, I'd happily take Trotz over Boudreau as he's the superior coach.

I see all three taking steps forward with or without Miller, I firmly advocate for moving him.

Yes, Trotz has won a Stanley Cup, but is he the 'right' coach for this particular group of players ?  (its not one size fits all).

He was fired the other day, there's obviously a reason for it.

8 hours ago, Baratheon said:

My point exactly.  You have chosen to remember the member of the media who was negative and got it wrong.  Those that had high praise for Bo (and got it right) you seem to have forgotten.

Bo got praise from the media for his supposed 3rd line forever skills and the higher praises he had we're from the CDC and there's no one I know of in here that writes for anyone. So lots of us for it right, how come the media couldn't?! Omg lmfao! I guess I know where you get your info from.. you can defend bush league all you want, it's still bush league or worse! 

Edited by iceman64

7 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Yes, Trotz has won a Stanley Cup, but is he the 'right' coach for this particular group of players ?  (its not one size fits all).

Trotz gets the most out of whoever he's got on the roster at both ends of the ice, he's the guy I'd consider to be the best coach in the league right now.  And if not, definitely top 3. I view his firing as a shortsighted move and I'm not the only one who thinks that. Over the last four seasons he's coached the Isles to the second round, conference finals, and almost beat the Lightning in the semi-finals. He missed the playoffs once, this season.

This year was an anomaly. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Bo got high praise for his supposed 3rd line forever skills and the praises he had were from the CDC and there's no one I know of in here that writes for anyone. So lots of us for it right, how come the media couldn't?! Omg lmfao! I guess I know where you get your info from.. you can defend bush league all you want, it's still bush league or worse! 

Meh I have no need to defend anything.  There are a good amount of Bo Horvat articles linked in the early pages of his Roster thread so it's easy to see what the general sentiment was.  The media has discussions (often generated by the fans) with more than one side so obviously someone is going to be wrong.  I suppose the media can be whatever you make it out to be if you pick and choose what to focus on/remember.

8 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Actually I think Trotz has a better idea on D than BB but that's where it ends, both are really good and have their strengths and weakness's like all GM's, they just happen to be better at most aspects. I'd like to see Trotz here as well if not BB, we need a lot more emphasis on our 200 ft game. We can score, have a great goalie, but we need the D to balance it out. And it needs to come from everyone, team D has been lacking for quite awhile. It's getting better but still needs works 

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Meh I have no need to defend anything.  There are a good amount of Bo Horvat articles linked in the early pages of his Roster thread so it's easy to see what the general sentiment was.  The media has discussions (often generated by the fans) with more than one side so obviously someone is going to be wrong.  I suppose the media can be whatever you make it out to be if you pick and choose what to focus on/remember.

Well stupid comments tend to catch your attention and easy to remember, skating is one of the easier things to put work into, Bo was faulted by people because of it but he was new and admitted it BUT the difference is that Bo's personality of get better in any area needed and so he did, his skating improved a ton and it got him in better position for goals, puck stealing, his whole game got upped a notch and that's when the higher praises started to come from the media and taken off the 3rd line list and only Bob McKenzie saw what a lot of us here saw in him that the rest of the van media couldn't.. so sure, believe everything they say. Cough cough JT Miller cough cough  ;)

5 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Actually I think Trotz has a better idea on D than BB but that's where it ends, both are really good and have their strengths and weakness's like all GM's, they just happen to be better at most aspects. I'd like to see Trotz here as well if not BB, we need a lot more emphasis on our 200 ft game. We can score, have a great goalie, but we need the D to balance it out. And it needs to come from everyone, team D has been lacking for quite awhile. It's getting better but still needs works 

Agreed on strengths and weaknesses

Trotz definitely has a leg up on game structure, and Boudreau has an innate ability to motivate players.

9 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well stupid comments tend to catch your attention and easy to remember, skating is one of the easier things to put work into, Bo was faulted by people because of it but he was new and admitted it BUT the difference is that Bo's personality of get better in any area needed and so he did, his skating improved a ton and it got him in better position for goals, puck stealing, his whole game got upped a notch and that's when the higher praises started to come from the media and taken off the 3rd line list and only Bob McKenzie saw what a lot of us here saw in him that the rest of the van media couldn't.. so sure, believe everything they say. Cough cough JT Miller cough cough  ;)

I'm not actually sure what this last part is supposed to mean lol.  I'm assuming that again you heard something on TV/radio/newspaper that you didn't like and decided that it is the blanket opinion of all Vancouver based media members.

There was no shortage of both fans and media that felt Horvat was a future top 6 forward.  Interesting that you bring up Bob McKenzie.  I don't personally remember what his opinion on Bo was but I do remember Pierre McGuire being quite high on him.  Between Bob and Pierre that's two guys that many Vancouver writers and shows have leaned on pretty heavily for their opinions (especially back then)

I just don't think it's fair to focus only on the "stupid comments" and use that as the basis of your opinion.  There is no shortage of stupid comments here on CDC (yes I am probably responsible for a good chunk of them lol) but that doesn't mean that I think everyone here is like that at all times.  There are good folks and bad in any industry.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Trotz gets the most out of whoever he's got on the roster at both ends of the ice, he's the guy I'd consider to be the best coach in the league right now.  And if not, definitely top 3. I view his firing as a shortsighted move and I'm not the only one who thinks that. Over the last four seasons he's coached the Isles to the second round, conference finals, and almost beat the Lightning in the semi-finals. He missed the playoffs once, this season.

Yeah this year was a bit strange. What was the cause for the Isles to play so poorly? 

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah this year was a bit strange. What was the cause for the Isles to play so poorly? 

I'm not sure tbh

They struggled with injuries, not as much as other teams but they almost always seemed to have someone important out at any given time 

Covid too

East was also kinda nuts in general this season 

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm pretty sure they got hammered by Covid and missed a crapload of games early. Before they even got going they were 20 points back. Only reason I remember this is I was looking at reverse standings already. :sadno:

53 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm pretty sure they got hammered by Covid and missed a crapload of games early. Before they even got going they were 20 points back. Only reason I remember this is I was looking at reverse standings already. :sadno:

Didn't they also open the season with 13 road games?

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

The beginning of the year was the outlier.

Miller's a 90+ pt player, Demko is a top 5-10 goalie, Hughes is a #1D, OEL is a #2D, Pettersson has enormous upside & Horvat is a 30 goal scorer. Nvm Podkolzin could be our Landeskog.

This team is loaded with talented players, and Bruce made them believe they were as good as they are.

Tons of upside with this team & it's already begun in how they played most of last year.

15 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Agreed on strengths and weaknesses

Trotz definitely has a leg up on game structure, and Boudreau has an innate ability to motivate players.

Both coaches have great records and both coached the Capitals

Probably was Trotz structure that finally let Capitals get a Cup

13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The beginning of the year was the outlier.

Miller's a 90+ pt player, Demko is a top 5-10 goalie, Hughes is a #1D, OEL is a #2D, Pettersson has enormous upside & Horvat is a 30 goal scorer. Nvm Podkolzin could be our Landeskog.

This team is loaded with talented players, and Bruce made them believe they were as good as they are.

Tons of upside with this team & it's already begun in how they played most of last year.

I wasn't talking about the Canucks though, I was talking about the Isles. This season was an anomaly for them under Trotz. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

On 5/3/2022 at 1:53 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

Here's my quick summary of todays press, if I wrote anything wrong, please let me know and I will correct it.

- Hasn't changed their mind on what needs to be done since earlier in the season

- Team relies on goalie too much

- Still have work to do, adding the right couple of players can make us a playoff team

- Don't know if Martin will work out for sure, but having a league minimum backup helps with the cap a lot

- Martin was solid positionally, great at tracking

- Wants to build cap space while improving the team

- Likes the job Boudreau has done

- Structure of the team needs to improve, exits from defensive zone are one of the worst in the league

- Have defensemen that are capable of playing better with better structure

- Fixing the structure will make us a consistently better team

- There is work to be done, they saw improvement but need to get better in all areas

- Situation of adding and subtracting is more complicated here than they like, meetings here in the next week with departments to start making decisions

- Management wants Bruce back, want to work with him on a few things to help make him better

- Strong organizations don't worry about the term "lame duck" coaches, can bring him back for next year and figure it out from there

- We have players that can get to a superstar level in the league - Petey, Hughes, Demko

- Believes there is more to come from Elias

- Crosby and Letang make players around them better, has those type of expectations for those superstar calibre players coming into next season

- Rogers Arena is getting renovations in many areas, some in Abbotsford as well

- Practice arena is getting closer to a site decision

- Francesco had no issues putting money into renovations

- Francesco has let the management do their job, JR speaks to Francesco about every two weeks while grabbing a bite together

- Too early to say on Sutter's future

- Willing to have Bruce under the contract he's on, no extension this year, not against a contract extension after next season

- As good of a job Bruce has done, it wasn't a full season

- Sullivan won the cup with JR in 16 and 17 and he didn't get an extension until needed

- Still evaluating staff, changes might happen

- Comfortable with Todd Harvey leading the amateur scouting for this upcoming draft

- Will reach out to Miller and Horvat's agents to talk about extensions

- Plan to have all signed and unsigned prospects at prospects camp

- Challenge scouts to find players in other leagues

- Young Stars tournament and prospects camp was a priority, existing organization members were all for it

- 2 other teams committed to Young Start Tournament, 1 team in consideration

- We have an older facility, locker room is outdated

- Having up to date facilities helps in recruiting

- Bruce has until June 1st to decide to come back

- Very impressed with Ryan Johnson, rely a lot on RJ, big part of management staff, moving forward will figure out the best position/role for him

- Abbotsford coaching staff have done a good job

- Abbotsford could be the best franchise in the AHL overtime, goal is to make it better and better

- Really liked Podkolzin over the last 4-5 weeks, looked like a full time NHL player, need to develop players to be able to play into May

- Positive talks with Brock and his agent

- Don't need to make major changes, but need to get better through trades and free agency

- Hopes we can find a way to get better long term without taking a step back next season

- Believes Dermott has upside, was able to get younger and shed salary

- Really happy the way the front office has come together and work together

- Cammi Granato keeps amateur scouting and pro scouting accountable

edit:

- Doesn't think Demko needs a procedure, should be ready for training camp

Hmmmm.. well maybe it's getting out of old habits of Green and I'm hopeful of that because only a certain amount of games where we fell apart from the said 'failed first pass out of our zone" 

Simple fix for that really, practice the quick simple pass, not hesitate, and then a turn over and I saw that and I'm sure others of us did happen so much that you almost expected it to happen BUT like I said it may be just habit and will improve like the power play that was pretty lethal in stretches but has to be wayyyy more consistent. Greener and most of Vancouver expected the team to transition in the newer players, somehow make up for the loss of Hamonic which made matters worse. 

So with all things considered and Bruce sticks around and simplifies the back end not to worry waiting for a lead pass to present itself, an easy quick short passes are key so we don't have so many goals against. So if we get that down it should help us a lot! Do it Bruce!! There it is! Lol  Ok so it helped us win a lot more games working towards that so hope he keeps it up and I don't see why not.

The rest of it all, well it all falls on management to give Bruce enough ammo to win to keep him wanting to stay.