The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

1-1 Tkachuk/Laine/Chychrun/Fiala all might have better or more value.  I'd say Chycrhun with his contract being the top of that list

But it's interesting to know that he might be on that list.  If I am JR and the rumour is real that his name might be on a soft list i'd be knocking that door down like a mormon on your saturday morning at 6 am 

I dunno, if they were to move he pick I figure it'd be for a forward. Chychrun is interesting but I know I wouldn't be interested in him for the #2. I don't see either Tkachuk moving but I could maybe see something around Laine as that'd give Hughes a running mate with size up front. Maybe Fiala, but Minnesota's been pretty stingy with their assets and they'd most certainly have to add. 

Columbus looks be to looking to build around youth, they make a lot of sense as a trade partner imo. They're also a team that already has two #1 picks. 

Edited by Coconuts

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno, if they were to move he pick I figure it'd be for a forward. Chychrun is interesting but I know I wouldn't be interested in him for the #2. I don't see either Tkachuk moving but I could maybe see something around Laine as that'd give Hughes a running mate with size up front. Maybe Fiala, but Minnesota's been pretty stingy with their assets and they'd most certainly have to add. 

Columbus looks be to looking to build around youth, they make a lot of sense as a trade partner imo. They're also a team that already has two #1 picks. 

Columbus building the smart way. 

Wish we had their GM. 

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Devils GM has confirmed as per Freidman that they WILL be considering moving the 2nd overall pick still and has indicated it will be for a player specific as they will be drafting a list of players they feel are worth it.

Rumoured names to be on the list apparently include:  Chyrchun, Fiala, Laine, Tkachuk and...Miller

Well well well.....

Deal

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They know they can't compete with the current eastern juggernauts, building up gradually makes sense 

I'm a big fan of how they're building their group. Same with Anaheim too. They've been doing a sneaky rebuild over these last few years, and they totally aced it at this year's trade deadline (although, they perhaps could have done without moving Deslauries). Hard to believe they just added McTavish too. Pretty unreal...

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm a big fan of how they're building their group. Same with Anaheim too. They've been doing a sneaky rebuild over these last few years, and they totally aced it at this year's trade deadline (although, they perhaps could have done without moving Deslauries). Hard to believe they just added McTavish too. Pretty unreal...

Even LA's coming along nicely. I much prefer the gradual approach we've seen from these organizations over the trying to go for it and spinning our wheels in mediocrity we've been watching for years under Benning.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Even LA's coming along nicely. I much prefer the gradual approach we've seen from these organizations over the trying to go for it and spinning our wheels in mediocrity we've been watching for years under Benning.

I'm very envious of LA's build too. Sure, they had lottery luck in drafting Byfield, but there's no way you can accredit the success they've had to that - considering he hasn't even made that big of an impact yet. God, I supported Benning for SO MANY YEARS, but other than a few good draft picks and trading for Miller (generally speaking), we have had nothing to show for it... What a colossal failure. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm very envious of LA's build too. Sure, they had lottery luck in drafting Byfield, but there's no way you can accredit the success they've had to that - considering he hasn't even made that big of an impact yet. God, I supported Benning for SO MANY YEARS, but other than a few good draft picks and trading for Miller (generally speaking), we have had nothing to show for it... What a colossal failure. 

It honestly wouldn't shock me to see LA, Anaheim, or Columbus bounce back sooner than later. Anaheim and LA both have a nice stable of prospects, Columbus has some nice pieces too. 

I think Benning did some good things, but for the amount of time he ram things we haven't seen enough. I'm hoping things are better under JR and AL.

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

They know they can't compete with the current eastern juggernauts, building up gradually makes sense 

Something we should have done from the start when Benning arrived. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Something we should have done from the start when Benning arrived. 

Something I'm hoping we do now tbh, we don't need to strip things down imo but being patient as opposed to trying to push is how I'd proceed 

On 5/22/2022 at 5:20 AM, spook007 said:

Deal

Yes couldn't say no to that.   First off Miller isn't even in our own conference, that's a huge bonus.   And for NJ it makes a lot of sense with a new deal in place.    They'd be sorted down the middle and left wing for 4-5 years.   They don't need Chychrun, they've already got Luke Hughes.    Would make them a much better team now.   The other trade partner that makes a lot of sense is Ottawa.   They also have a ton of very good young support players that could or could not become core guys.  At the very least support players, to me that's where i'd put Brock and Garland right now.   On the fringes of being core but not untouchable like Demko, QHs and EP.     If NJ offered us their pick - one for one - take it and run run run far far away.   I'd almost consider giving us our 15th overall to get this done. 

Edit:  Ideally we trade Miller to NJ, and maybe add Hoglander or something if we can.   Can't see why NJ would say no to Miller and our 15th overall. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:29 AM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

That’s the hard part, his minimal success and the time he took to get us nowhere. He has left us with some pretty good players but a deeply flawed team. 
Can we move on with just the core we have and compliment them with a few shrewd moves or are we still missing the lynchpin piece and should make dive to the bottom and try to make a quick turnaround like LA or especially Colorado did. 
Remember, Colorado had MacKinnon for some time before they were the worst team in the league again and got Makar. 
Is Quinn, Elias and Thatcher a championship core?  

I don’t know at this point and after 8 years of Benning a couple years of tanking would be a hard pill to swallow. 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That’s the hard part, his minimal success and the time he took to get us nowhere. He has left us with some pretty good players but a deeply flawed team. 
Can we move on with just the core we have and compliment them with a few shrewd moves or are we still missing the lynchpin piece and should make dive to the bottom and try to make a quick turnaround like LA or especially Colorado did. 
Remember, Colorado had MacKinnon for some time before they were the worst team in the league again and got Makar. 
Is Quinn, Elias and Thatcher a championship core?  

I don’t know at this point and after 8 years of Benning a couple years of tanking would be a hard pill to swallow. 

Thatcher is a franchise goalie.  I think Petey can play (and has proven) like an elite number one 200 foot centre.  Hughes is a great player, but he needs a “Chris Tanev” type partner (much like Toews does for Makar) to free up his offence 5 on 5)

So, yes we have an elite three that can win, but we are missing a lot of key (supporting) pieces.

Do we have a piece we can trade to steal a Sergachev or get us a Toews?  That would be a good start. 

On 5/22/2022 at 6:26 AM, Coconuts said:

JB never allowed the team to bottom out and spent to the cap ... didn't have much choice to start - i was stoked when we finally traded Bieksa, Hansen and Burrows - and got that aside from Hansen the others had to agree to it.   That was 2017 i think .... and that's exactly when we should have let the team tank and made an internal cap despite LE.     Mistakes were made for sure - now Allvin and JR have to make a really tough decision .... i think what they will do is give Bruce next season to see what's up still.   IF they can make the playoffs and win a round or two then he's got his answer.   If they don't he's also got his answer.    I'm also tired of half measures.    There really isn't one player on this team, including Demko - that isn't an asset to be considered for a trade after next season.    Miller to NJ for a second overall and even our 15th overall in the package is a no brainer.   If that doesn't happen then unless something too nice to not do comes up - stay the JB course next season and adjust accordingly.   I'd be 100% fine with a mini tank for a couple seasons.   CAL, EDM and Vegas are in their windows now. 

As far as LA goes Blake is one smart cookie.   He decided to give the cup winning core core guys one more crack at it and traded all their support guys to tank.   Pearson, Toffoli, Muzzin was the medicine they needed.    They weren't going to win with what they had.   Funny how Wilson went the other way, and kept up the endless re-tool.   Zero prospects - some cap space to keep working on his endless re-tool.   But the end is near.   Erik Karlsson lol.   Whoops.   Evander Kane (not really on him but the signs were there - whoops again).   They need to dismantle and rebuild but he just keeps re-upping guys.   Meanwhile both ANA and LA are doing it right...

Ottawa is too.   Of course NYR.    Nice to have assets to trade - and trust your fanbase that they'd be ok with some down years.    Allvin ... what a minefield he's left with.   Not nearly as bad as what JB came into - nobody is claused up (yet).   Needs to trade some guys.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

JB never allowed the team to bottom out and spent to the cap ... didn't have much choice to start - i was stoked when we finally traded Bieksa, Hansen and Burrows - and got that aside from Hansen the others had to agree to it.   That was 2017 i think .... and that's exactly when we should have let the team tank and made an internal cap despite LE.     Mistakes were made for sure - now Allvin and JR have to make a really tough decision .... i think what they will do is give Bruce next season to see what's up still.   IF they can make the playoffs and win a round or two then he's got his answer.   If they don't he's also got his answer.    I'm also tired of half measures.    There really isn't one player on this team, including Demko - that isn't an asset to be considered for a trade after next season.    Miller to NJ for a second overall and even our 15th overall in the package is a no brainer.   If that doesn't happen then unless something too nice to not do comes up - stay the JB course next season and adjust accordingly.   I'd be 100% fine with a mini tank for a couple seasons.   CAL, EDM and Vegas are in their windows now. 

As far as LA goes Blake is one smart cookie.   He decided to give the cup winning core core guys one more crack at it and traded all their support guys to tank.   Pearson, Toffoli, Muzzin was the medicine they needed.    They weren't going to win with what they had.   Funny how Wilson went the other way, and kept up the endless re-tool.   Zero prospects - some cap space to keep working on his endless re-tool.   But the end is near.   Erik Karlsson lol.   Whoops.   Evander Kane (not really on him but the signs were there - whoops again).   They need to dismantle and rebuild but he just keeps re-upping guys.   Meanwhile both ANA and LA are doing it right...

Ottawa is too.   Of course NYR.    Nice to have assets to trade - and trust your fanbase that they'd be ok with some down years.    Allvin ... what a minefield he's left with.   Not nearly as bad as what JB came into - nobody is claused up (yet).   Needs to trade some guys.   

The biggest failure in the Canucks org over the years has been the failure to convert aging assets for youth and draft picks. The list of those who have left with no return is pretty long. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

The biggest failure in the Canucks org over the years has been the failure to convert aging assets for youth and draft picks. The list of those who have left with no return is pretty long. 

Exactly!  Benning tried to speed up any rebuild by trading for guys further along in their development.  Huge mistake!  We needed to get picks, and use them.  And then keep and develop our own players.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  Benning tried to speed up any rebuild by trading for guys further along in their development.  Huge mistake!  We needed to get picks, and use them.  And then keep and develop our own players.  

True enough Alf but I would go back further to 2012. Perhaps a tad early but the failed 2011 roster should have been revamped. Never happened. Finally Torts came out on his last interview and said that the lineup had to go younger. Again, it didn't happen. All along there were possible moves that could have moved some vets out for long term gains. 

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Something I'm hoping we do now tbh, we don't need to strip things down imo but being patient as opposed to trying to push is how I'd proceed 

do the Canucks not have a solid young core under 25?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

do the Canucks not have a solid young core under 25?

Under 25? Dunno, how many players make a core? 

If you include 25 you get Boeser in there too, but if you're looking at under I'd consider it Hughes, Pettersson, and Podz. Hoglander fits the age bracket but I wouldn't consider him a core piece until he shows more. Pettersson and Hughes are great building blocks and Podz has promise, certainly. 

I'm okay with being patient the next few seasons as opposed to trying to rush some sort of contender. Build around the youth, accumulate more youth. Try and be a playoff team, sure, and I think we'll be in the mix next season, but I'd look to play the long game. 

• Cheers 1