The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

That’s the hard part, his minimal success and the time he took to get us nowhere. He has left us with some pretty good players but a deeply flawed team. 
Can we move on with just the core we have and compliment them with a few shrewd moves or are we still missing the lynchpin piece and should make dive to the bottom and try to make a quick turnaround like LA or especially Colorado did. 
Remember, Colorado had MacKinnon for some time before they were the worst team in the league again and got Makar. 
Is Quinn, Elias and Thatcher a championship core?  

I don’t know at this point and after 8 years of Benning a couple years of tanking would be a hard pill to swallow. 

I personally think it's somewhere in the middle. We're more than one or two shrewd moves away, but we don't need to tear it down and tank either.

We need to move Miller for multiple, younger assets. I'd personally look at moving out Myers and replacing him with a younger, cheaper, defensive guy like Lyubushkin as well.

Those are the big starter moves that clear cap and get some youth and assets in to the organization but there's still a lot of work after that.

Still need a 3C, more grit, more PK capable depth guys, more speed and size...

Need to continue to fill the pipeline with college and euro UFA's. 

Need to continue to draft and (better) develop more pieces, maybe even acquiring extra picks here and there.

And even then, that likely only makes us a decent playoff team in the next couple years. We're going to need some luck and loads of further work and shrewd moves over that time frame to become a legit contender.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

JB never allowed the team to bottom out and spent to the cap ... didn't have much choice to start - i was stoked when we finally traded Bieksa, Hansen and Burrows - and got that aside from Hansen the others had to agree to it.   That was 2017 i think .... and that's exactly when we should have let the team tank and made an internal cap despite LE.     Mistakes were made for sure - now Allvin and JR have to make a really tough decision .... i think what they will do is give Bruce next season to see what's up still.   IF they can make the playoffs and win a round or two then he's got his answer.   If they don't he's also got his answer.    I'm also tired of half measures.    There really isn't one player on this team, including Demko - that isn't an asset to be considered for a trade after next season.    Miller to NJ for a second overall and even our 15th overall in the package is a no brainer.   If that doesn't happen then unless something too nice to not do comes up - stay the JB course next season and adjust accordingly.   I'd be 100% fine with a mini tank for a couple seasons.   CAL, EDM and Vegas are in their windows now. 

As far as LA goes Blake is one smart cookie.   He decided to give the cup winning core core guys one more crack at it and traded all their support guys to tank.   Pearson, Toffoli, Muzzin was the medicine they needed.    They weren't going to win with what they had.   Funny how Wilson went the other way, and kept up the endless re-tool.   Zero prospects - some cap space to keep working on his endless re-tool.   But the end is near.   Erik Karlsson lol.   Whoops.   Evander Kane (not really on him but the signs were there - whoops again).   They need to dismantle and rebuild but he just keeps re-upping guys.   Meanwhile both ANA and LA are doing it right...

Ottawa is too.   Of course NYR.    Nice to have assets to trade - and trust your fanbase that they'd be ok with some down years.    Allvin ... what a minefield he's left with.   Not nearly as bad as what JB came into - nobody is claused up (yet).   Needs to trade some guys.   

Yeah, we never really bottomed out, despite his lack of success JB was trying to build a competitive team. And even when we were near the bottom the lottery &^@#ed us. Virtanen not turning out and Juolevi's injuries derailing his development hurt too, or simply drafting them depending on who you ask. 

I hope they sell Miller and take a more patient approach to teambuilding, but I also figure we can be in the mix for the playoffs next season without him. A slam dunk playoff team? Nah, but like you said.. Calgary, Edmonton, and Vegas are in their window, and if Vegas is even a little healthier next season they likely bounce back into the playoffs. LA and Anaheim should be in the mix too, it'll be a competitive division. I dunno about half measures, but I'm tired of spinning our wheels in mediocrity, I'd sooner accumulate more youth to compliment our young pieces and start building the next wave. I don't see us contending over whatever's left of Miller's prime, I firmly believe extending him would be a mistake. 

I'd make that trade, dunno if Jersey would. Picks are never more valuable than at the draft and it's been ages since we've seen a top 3 pick moved hasn't it? 

Yeah, dunno what San Jose is doing but they're a mess. LA and Anaheim should be teams on the rise sooner than later imo. NYR's drafted some interesting pieces for sure, but the caveat to that is that they've had insane lottery luck and that's tough to replicate. 

I'm hoping JR and Al are ruthless, this team needs surgery imo, involving pieces that'll divide the fanbase (Miller, possibly Boeser or Garland). 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Under 25? Dunno, how many players make a core? 

If you include 25 you get Boeser in there too, but if you're looking at under I'd consider it Hughes, Pettersson, and Podz. Hoglander fits the age bracket but I wouldn't consider him a core piece until he shows more. Pettersson and Hughes are great building blocks and Podz has promise, certainly. 

I'm okay with being patient the next few seasons as opposed to trying to rush some sort of contender. Build around the youth, accumulate more youth. Try and be a playoff team, sure, and I think we'll be in the mix next season, but I'd look to play the long game. 

Not under 25, but I hope we can also include Horvat in there. He can be our "grizzled vet" C when we're hopefully contending in a few years.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Not under 25, but I hope we can also include Horvat in there. He can be our "grizzled vet" C when we're hopefully contending in a few years.

I'm fully on board the Horvat train, if he's willing to stick around during what'd be a bit of a reset I'd love to keep him.

That being said, I'm not interested in losing him for nothing either. 

• Vintage 2

On 5/22/2022 at 4:28 AM, Coconuts said:

I dunno, if they were to move he pick I figure it'd be for a forward. Chychrun is interesting but I know I wouldn't be interested in him for the #2. I don't see either Tkachuk moving but I could maybe see something around Laine as that'd give Hughes a running mate with size up front. Maybe Fiala, but Minnesota's been pretty stingy with their assets and they'd most certainly have to add. 

Columbus looks be to looking to build around youth, they make a lot of sense as a trade partner imo. They're also a team that already has two #1 picks. 

Columbus are not in a rebuild but a re-start.  With how Kekaleinen explains their plan, not sure he'd be interested in 2nd overall if he had to give up Laine (unless they are so far apart in negotiations).  Would be a step back and they want to push forward. 

Kekaleinen was pretty mad about trade rumours around Laine this year which he called unethical as, in his words, it was just full BS and to generate clicks.  Both Laine and Kekaleinen said that they want to get a deal done.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Columbus are not in a rebuild but a re-start.  With how Kekaleinen explains their plan, not sure he'd be interested in 2nd overall if he had to give up Laine (unless they are so far apart in negotiations).  Would be a step back and they want to push forward. 

Kekaleinen was pretty mad about trade rumours around Laine this year which he called unethical as, in his words, it was just full BS and to generate clicks.  Both Laine and Kekaleinen said that they want to get a deal done.

Laine seems happier there, I could see it. But Columbus is a team that could probably afford such a move.

Not that there's any pressure to, they've got a couple good 1sts. Wish we had their picks.

Couple things:

1) I don't think njd will be willing to trade 2nd overall for miller but I do think they would move down to 15 in a Miller trade

2) I think any Miller trade Vancouver will be getting a roster player back. 

3) it is rumored that the price at the trade deadline was 1st+ prospect+ prospect+ 2nd. I think there is a blueprint trade that could work out. 

Roster player- Vancouver had been linked to Zacha at the end of the year. So that makes sense.

Prospect- Vancouver could use more depth at D and toughness. Kevin bahl is perfect for that

Prospect- Nolan foote- could always use more size on the left wing.

Moving up to 2 from 15 is better than getting a first.

Don't think Vancouver would need a 2nd to pull the trigger.

So:

To Van:

Zacha+ foote+ bahl+ 2nd overall 

To NJD:

Jt miller + 15th overall. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Couple things:

1) I don't think njd will be willing to trade 2nd overall for miller but I do think they would move down to 15 in a Miller trade

3) it is rumored that the price at the trade deadline was 1st+ prospect+ prospect+ 2nd. I think there is a blueprint trade that could work out. 

Roster player- Vancouver had been linked to Zacha at the end of the year. So that makes sense.

Prospect- Vancouver could use more depth at D and toughness. Kevin bahl is perfect for that

So:

To Van:

To NJD:

As a Canucks fan, I would take that in a heartbeat.  

9.5 times out of 10, that means it’s lopsided in our favour, and this one is no different.  

29 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Couple things:

So:

To Van:

To NJD:

new jersey wouldn't even consider miller for the 2nd overall in a straight trade.. so basically the 15th overall for zacha+foote+bahl and the 2nd overall for miller?? no chance NJ even picks up the phone. 

On 5/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, aGENT said:

I personally think it's somewhere in the middle. We're more than one or two shrewd moves away, but we don't need to tear it down and tank either.

We need to move Miller for multiple, younger assets. I'd personally look at moving out Myers and replacing him with a younger, cheaper, defensive guy like Lyubushkin as well.

Those are the big starter moves that clear cap and get some youth and assets in to the organization but there's still a lot of work after that.

Still need a 3C, more grit, more PK capable depth guys, more speed and size...

Need to continue to fill the pipeline with college and euro UFA's. 

Need to continue to draft and (better) develop more pieces, maybe even acquiring extra picks here and there.

And even then, that likely only makes us a decent playoff team in the next couple years. We're going to need some luck and loads of further work and shrewd moves over that time frame to become a legit contender.

JT Miller is as good as gone.

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Couple things:

So:

To Van:

To NJD:

Yes please. :)

What if we did the following:

To Vancouver: 2023 1st, Carlo, DeBrusk, Lysell

To Boston: JT Miller (Retained to even cap), Myers

Boston loads up for a run and then signs Miller with Bergeron’s money.

To Vancouver: 4th Overall (Nemec)

To Seattle: 2nd Overall (Slafkovsky)

To New Jersey: Van 2022 1st, Boston 2023 1st, Garland, Seattle 2022 2nd (to move up two spots)

Everyone gets what they need in this move. Our D going forward once Nemec is ready:

Hughes Carlo

Ekman-Larsson Nemec

Rathbone Schenn/Poolman/Whoever

Frees up cap to fill some forward gaps through FA.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

If this rumour is true - is Fitzgerald trying to avoid a Sabres type situation of having too many high picks, that got tired of losing and left ?  Imo, Miller with his bulldog personality, will be a good fit in that roster; and hopefully, Allvin will focus on them as primary trade partner - a Miller for the 2nd pick and there 1st next year plus a sweetener would be a good haul.  The Kings is another club but being in the same division makes it a complicated trade partner and perhaps, the Rags might chime in again, once they are eliminated by the Lightning (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 5/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Couple things:

So:

To Van:

To NJD:

I would do that in a heartbeat.  I would likely just do Miller + 15 for Zacha + 2.  Something around this starts to make a lot of sense for both teams.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would do that in a heartbeat.  I would likely just do Miller + 15 for Zacha + 2.  Something around this starts to make a lot of sense for both teams.

That would be an excellent trade.  JR gets a developed and mature player (Zacha) to play 3C and also gets to draft a very good prospect at 2OA.  Then Garland and Myers for Marino + Kapanen.  

We are younger, faster, and have another top prospect.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

If this rumour is true - is Fitzgerald trying to avoid a Sabres type situation of having too many high picks, that got tired of losing and left ?  Imo, Miller with his bulldog personality, will be a good fit in that roster; and hopefully, Allvin will focus on them as primary trade partner - a Miller for the 2nd pick and there 1st next year plus a sweetener would be a good haul.  The Kings is another club but being in the same division makes it a complicated trade partner and perhaps, the Rags might chime in again, once they are eliminated by the Lightning (?).

Trying to avoid the Sabres bit makes sense, but there's no way you get an additional 1st and a sweetener on top of the 2nd overall pick for Miller. Miller ain't worth that. 

I do think the Kings are a good trading partner, I think the divisional bit is a bit overblown. Yeah, we gotta consider whether we make them better but they've gotta consider the same when trading with us.