The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

Just now, JM_ said:

that one confuses me as well. Hughes is also locked up on a good contact for 5 more years. Why throw that away for a pick?

Miller for the second overall? I think I would do that. If my scouts truely believed in the prospect. Realistically though, I don't think Devils do it. Maybe our 15th, Miller, for Zacha and second overall?

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Miller for the second overall? I think I would do that. If my scouts truely believed in the prospect. Realistically though, I don't think Devils do it. Maybe our 15th, Miller, for Zacha and second overall?

thats the deal I was thinking as well. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I would be okay for a Miller for 2OA swap. 

Jersey gets someone who can mentor some of their young forwards moving forward (which would only benefit them). And we get a really great player whether that be a forward or a defenseman, assuming of course, they don’t bust. 

Yes I'd be really happy with that as well... the chance of getting a game breaker is far bigger at the top of the draw.... then its up to the GM to get the right player in... 

I love, if Allvin could pull off a deal, that would hand us the 2OA. Personally I think we'd have to add the 15OA to thr deal as well + some guarentees in case he doesn't want to sign an extention with Devils,,,

Miller is ready for his last contract and he has had a monster season, but there is no certainty, that he'll replicate that. Obviously hope he does, as he may still be a Canuck at the start of next season, but if it was the other way around, I'd really be on the fence as to whether I'd like it or not. 

Imagine us going into the draft with 2OA AND 15 OA... Drool....

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

funny to think people here actually believes New Jersey even have any interest in Miller.. and adding Miller New Jersey all of a sudden is a legit playoff contender.. ya they only missed the playoffs by 37 points.. Miller for sure will get them an extra 18-19 wins by himself coz he's going to help the 4th worse goals against team in the league stopping pucks with his awesome defensive efforts.. Miller will help them get closer to the playoffs.. but they are not going to make the playoffs with their current goaltending and defense.. so why would they throw away their 2nd overall for a 30 year old next season.. the reason we might not want to sign miller is his age/contract and we ain't exactly competing yet for a cup? but New Jersey would love to give up the 2nd overall pick for him when they ain't even sniffing at the playoffs yet? Miller entering the latter part of his prime will want to re-sign with a team that's no where close to contending for the cup? Vancouver at least might contend for a playoff spot next year and then hopefully a cup in a few years time?? New Jersey?? ya prolly a playoff spots in the next 2-3 years and then maybe they'll contend when their cores hit 26-28 their primes which is what another 6-7 years?

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

funny to think people here actually believes New Jersey even have any interest in Miller.. and adding Miller New Jersey all of a sudden is a legit playoff contender.. ya they only missed the playoffs by 37 points.. Miller for sure will get them an extra 18-19 wins by himself coz he's going to help the 4th worse goals against team in the league stopping pucks with his awesome defensive efforts.. Miller will help them get closer to the playoffs.. but they are not going to make the playoffs with their current goaltending and defense.. so why would they throw away their 2nd overall for a 30 year old next season.. the reason we might not want to sign miller is his age/contract and we ain't exactly competing yet for a cup? but New Jersey would love to give up the 2nd overall pick for him when they ain't even sniffing at the playoffs yet? Miller entering the latter part of his prime will want to re-sign with a team that's no where close to contending for the cup? Vancouver at least might contend for a playoff spot next year and then hopefully a cup in a few years time?? New Jersey?? ya prolly a playoff spots in the next 2-3 years and then maybe they'll contend when their cores hit 26-28 their primes which is what another 6-7 years?

Why exactly is it funny?

It's been reported by multiple sources that the Devil's have come asking about Miller, on numerous occasions. Their GM Fitzgerald worked with JR in the past. They are in need of veteran leadership in a bad way. They are in need of a top 6 forward. They have all the prospects in the world but need to start seeing results now.

What you think is funny, I'd reckon most think is pretty logical.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes I'd be really happy with that as well... the chance of getting a game breaker is far bigger at the top of the draw.... then its up to the GM to get the right player in... 

I love, if Allvin could pull off a deal, that would hand us the 2OA. Personally I think we'd have to add the 15OA to thr deal as well + some guarentees in case he doesn't want to sign an extention with Devils,,,

Miller is ready for his last contract and he has had a monster season, but there is no certainty, that he'll replicate that. Obviously hope he does, as he may still be a Canuck at the start of next season, but if it was the other way around, I'd really be on the fence as to whether I'd like it or not. 

Imagine us going into the draft with 2OA AND 15 OA... Drool....

Don't get too excited. We had two 1st rounders in 2014, Virtanen at 6 and McCann at 24, and though we kept the wrong one, neither is with us.

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Why exactly is it funny?

It's been reported by multiple sources that the Devil's have come asking about Miller, on numerous occasions. Their GM Fitzgerald worked with JR in the past. They are in need of veteran leadership in a bad way. They are in need of a top 6 forward. They have all the prospects in the world but need to start seeing results now.

Who else beyond Dhaliwal and Irfaan Gaffar of the 4th period?  Can't seem to find any other source.

7 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Why exactly is it funny?

if NJ can add Miller, another top 4 left side d, and a decent goalie they are suddenly a pretty good looking team. 

Trade for Miller is certainly possible. Adding a reasonably priced free agent like Chiarot or DeHaan, yep. The goalie is harder, but they could steal Campbell from TO which would be awesome. 

Edited by JM_
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

Who else beyond Dhaliwal and Irfaan Gaffar of the 4th period?  Can't seem to find any other source.

if its just those two then the "source" is Millers agent. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Why exactly is it funny?

lol where's the sources that saids Devils have asked about Miller?? maybe in the past like last season where they would have miller for 2.5 seasons.. there was nothing about Devils knocking on the doors about Miller this season and all the latest rumors recently are all from "insider" and cdc speculating and dreaming no actual source that the devils have asked about miller.

if the canucks have the 2nd overall pick right now and missed the playoffs by 37 points.. you think JR is going to trade the 2nd overall pick for a 30 year old miller? Miller's going to provide much more veteran leadership than Severson/Hamilton?? you trade away the 2nd overall for leadership?? might as well sign someone for veteran leadership in a 3rd/4th line role for 0 asset? 

you can give new jersey all the top 6 forwards in the world.. they still ain't going to make the playoffs giving up 300+ goals that's almost 4 goals a game.. adding Miller.. adding your so call veteran leadership.. is he going to help them give up less goals? coz he's pretty terrible himselfs in defensive efforts outside of faceoffs. sure New Jersey needs a top 6.. but scoring is not their issues.. they scored as much goals as the canucks with Jack hughes injured half the season.. if hughes was healthy i think it's fair to say New jersey easily outscores us.. If everyone is drooling over Slafovsky and thinks he'll have an impact right away reach 1k points etc etc.. then they already have their top 6 right there that is young cost controls for years.. so they would trade that away for a guy that is unlikely to re-sign just for his veteran leadership?

Miller is a player teams that are on the verge of contending or already contending would target.. not a team that missed the playoffs by almost 20 wins..

Edited by wai_lai416

Just now, JM_ said:

if NJ can add Miller, another top left side 4 d, and a decent goalie they are suddenly a pretty good looking team. 

Trade for Miller is certainly possible. Adding a reasonably priced free agent like Chiarot or DeHaan, yep. The goalie is harder, but they could steal Campbell from TO which would be awesome. 

NJD's also has a lack of experience and quite a few players that have still a lot of maturing and developing to do.  They have to learn how to play the right way and know when to make certain plays vs taking risks.  It's all the little details of the game that they still need to learn.  Experience is not really something that can just be fixed with a few roster moves. 

Fitzgerald in his presser talked of how they've had to repeat the same things over and over again and that the details are still missing.  

This story that NJ is interested in Miller, stems from Marek saying he “believes” Vancouver is one of the team that asked Slafkovsky if he could play center. Miller being our biggest trade chip, is automatically linked to the 2nd overall, by our media. There’s no valid proof that Vancouver actually asked Slafkovsky if he’s able to play center, beside the assumption of Marek. Friendman was even surprised Vancouver was one of the teams in the mix. 

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

So teams can't decide to get better by adding good players? That's a super lame way of thinking if you're a Canuck fan ... or any fan really. It might not be the most popular, or the way you would build a team, or even the best route/clearly full of risk but to pretend it's not a possibility (or like you say ANY interest) for the Devils to take is just being simple minded.

Why on earth wouldn't an NHL team want to get better, and why wouldn't Miller possibly help any team in the world do that? It's just hockey. Every GM and team is in a different place. At the very least a team like Jersey would think/consider it. That's just due diligence and doing your job. Just because you've considered it doesn't mean you have to do it.

It seems so odd on this site there is a faction of people that seem genuinely upset (@shiznak:lol:) that a fan on a Canucks message would speculate about an ideal trade for their team ... in the middle of our off season while nothing else is going on except draft talk. No one is saying this is going to happen for sure or trying to convince anyone important but this is one team that originally stated their first is tradeable, and they also have some plausible reasons to do so. For the record, Jersey has more young talent then we do, and their cap situation is light years ahead of ours. For anyone that follows hockey closely this is the exact type of team that can make a big jump in the standings with a couple shrewd moves.

Also they just signed another long term vet in Hamilton just last year. Where is your logic on this $63 million dollar, 7 year signing for a 28 year old top UFA, or doesn't he count? :picard:

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 hours ago, rekker said:

I dunno Jersey isn't exactly in win now and Miller is almost 30 and has a year left in his contract. I seriously doubt Devils will give up a 2nd overall for him.

Plus if the Market value for Miller is really a 2nd overall, then I'd rather sign him to an extension :lol:

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Honestly, I wouldn't trade Hughes straight up for the second. You know what you have in Hughes. The best offensive, puck moving defenseman in franchise history. Why trade for a pick, although high, is an unknown?

Neither would I. Which is why the 39 so pages here is pretty pointless if we are talking about Canucks making this deal :lol:

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I dunno Jersey isn't exactly in win now and Miller is almost 30 and has a year left in his contract. I seriously doubt Devils will give up a 2nd overall for him.

Plus if the Market value for Miller is really a 2nd overall, then I'd rather sign him to an extension :lol:

Ya, it's a long shot. Jersey is a lot closer to competing than their record indicates. It's why they signed Hamilton like they did. Actually, JT is a real good fit there. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

1.  funny to think people here actually believes New Jersey even have any interest in Miller.. and adding Miller New Jersey all of a sudden is a legit playoff contender.. ya they only missed the playoffs by 37 points.

2.  Miller for sure will get them an extra 18-19 wins by himself coz he's going to help the 4th worse goals against team in the league stopping pucks with his awesome defensive efforts.. Miller will help them get closer to the playoffs..

3.  but they are not going to make the playoffs with their current goaltending and defense.. so why would they throw away their 2nd overall for a 30 year old next season.. the reason we might not want to sign miller is his age/contract and we ain't exactly competing yet for a cup? but New Jersey would love to give up the 2nd overall pick for him when they ain't even sniffing at the playoffs yet?

4.  Miller entering the latter part of his prime will want to re-sign with a team that's no where close to contending for the cup? Vancouver at least might contend for a playoff spot next year and then hopefully a cup in a few years time?? New Jersey?? ya prolly a playoff spots in the next 2-3 years and then maybe they'll contend when their cores hit 26-28 their primes which is what another 6-7 years?

Alright here we go again.  Buckle up sir because it's time to get number with some hypotheticals you can crap on with your opinion after.

1.  So the Canucks posted a 40-30-12 record, scoring 249 goals while having 236 scored against them.  They had a team average .915 save percentage/2.69 gaa using 4 goalies for an averaged out 2.75 adjGaa% their average top 6 scoring was 63.4 points while their average bottom 6 scoring was 18.8 points.  Average age 25 years old

VS

The devils who posted a 27-46-9 record, scoring 248 goals (one less than vancouver) while having 307 scored against them.  They had a team average 8.86 save percentage/3.52GAA while using 7 goalies for an averaged out 3.63 adjGaa% Their average top 6 scoring was 54.1 points while their average bottom 6 scoring was 24.3 points.  Average age 22.75

Now, we factor in how AWFUL that goaltending was and the fact they have $26.6 million in cap space this year alone and we see clearly that one quality goaltender capable of stopping an additional .20% on their GAA wins them a minimum of 7 more games.  That alone puts them 14 points forward or tied with San Jose for 22nd in the league.  That's a major upgrade with just one goaltender or missing the playoffs by now only 23 points.  That's point the first.  Keep that in mind.

2.  Miller alone might not get them 17-18 more wins by himself.  But his defensive acumen and ability to win faceoffs and play C/LW/RW does in fact make them a much harder top 6 to play against.  They have only 2 players with a positive FO% in Hischier and Zacha and adding his 54.1% FO% in fact gives them FAR greater options on the dot while also freeing up not as defensively minded offensive players to be more offensive.  So let's say adding Miller wins them 5-7 more games.  Split the difference and say 6 games 12 points.  This puts them at 89 points with 2 additions alone in Miller and a quality goal tender.  Or a mere 3 points behind us in the standings, good for tied for 19th with Winnipeg or 9th in the east

3.  No, they will not make the playoffs with their current goaltending and defense.  But we see how simply adding a bonafide top tier player like miller and a goaltender can POSSIBLY improve their positioning.  Especially with an aging out Boston and Pittsburgh.  Now that defense.  I'd say is better than you think.  Just very young.  Severson/Hamilton are solid players and with $26+ million in cap space. Adding a few extra role players on defense and on that bottom 6 (a bottom 6 that outscored ours I might add) will only help them.  Their bottom 6 is in need of a 4th line centre, they need a responsible 3rd line winger and a 3-4 LD/RHD to take the load off of Severson and Hamilton.  Adding any of the combinations of Trochek/Klingberg/Rakell/Domi/Smith/Manson/Strome/Mikhayev/Husso/Fleury/Kuemper and even giving Subban another much smaller contract only improve them in ways we don't have the cap space to do.  They more than have the cap space to do this and let's ball park an addition 5 wins based on these additions or 10 points.  Bringing them to 100 points and now in the eastern playoffs tied for Washington.

4.  Miller aging out and being almost 30 is an issue, but NJ is not beholden to him for a longer contract.  He's an almost PERFECT stop gap for 1-3 years and a 2 year extension of $9+ million fits NJ's timeline perfectly.  They can afford him.  he insulates the kids.  They have arguably one of the better prospect pools in the league and are one of the youngest teams with the most easily fixed issues with goaltending, in their bottom 6 and 3-4 and 5-6 on the back end.  They've a ton of cap space and more than enough assets due to their 3rd lottery win in 6 years to actually start moving out of Buffalo territory.  Which is to say stockpiling picks/assets and seeing them fail to succeed.

Bottom line is your opinion is that Miller might not want to go to NJ or NJ might not want or need him.  But the numbers clearly indicate, hypothetical or not what NJ would stand to gain by adding Miller even short term.  We did it with Sundin, Samuellsson  and a half dozen other players from 2008-2011 and it only helped Burrows, Kesler, the Sedins etc.  teams do moves like Miller ALL the time.  This caveat on this is there has not been a 100 point player available for under $5.5 million capable of playing all 3 forward positions in modern history in the league.  With retention, he could be available for less than $3 million.  Would this be worth the 2nd overall?  It's as up in the air as my hypothetical numbers or your opinion.  But the argument I have laid out shows that Miller would absolutely benefit the devils for even ONE year and could possibly be had for a single or multiple year extension afterwards while still cashing in hard.

Hell sir, I would go so far as to say that with 1 trade and two or three smart signings.  The Devils could be closer to the playoffs than the Canucks are if they get Miller and a goaltender worth the name.  So, is he worth the 2nd overall pick?  Maybe not.  Would he help the Devils make the playoffs while only costing them a pick/prospect and not spending to the hilt in free agency?  Absolutely.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I would argue NJ is very much in 'win now' mode. Whether they are willing to give up the 2nd for Miller is a fair debate, but win now is not imho. Note they have made the playoffs only once since 2013 and lost in the first round. That's a decade bud.

Since 2013 this is where they have drafted (would have drafted if they didn't trade a couple of first rounders).

2013 - had traded their first rounder so picked second round. Ended up 20th so would have picked 11th overall in the 30 team league

2014 - had traded their pick but ended up 22nd in a 30 team league - 9th overall 

2015 - 6th overall

2016 -  12th overall

2017 - 1st overall 

2018 -  17th overall

2019 - 1st overall

2020 - 7th overall

2021 - 4th overall

2021 - 2nd overall

As one can see they've been mired is suckage for a decade, and had alot of high picks.

Professional sports teams want to make money. They don't want to go bankrupt because they never win and fans stop showing up, and that's even more of an issue in the USA where they don't just show up to hockey because they love it as we do.

Since 2015 they've had 5 top 6 picks - that is an example of floundering. The goal of professional sports teams is to entertain, to win, not collect high picks like a video game and endlessly keep getting high picks for the excitement of a new shiny toy. 

I think Vancouver fans (and I'm not saying you are suggesting this) tend to have such a view on sports. Let's keep getting high picks and eventually we'll have a McDavid, Crosby, Mckinnon, Makar, Draisatl, Ovechkin type players all on one team and then we'll have a dynasty! lol...really sometimes I get that feeling from our fans....

Point is, NJ has to start winning and making the playoffs because you need fans to get excited and keep coming. Fans are not excited by teams getting 1-6th overall endlessly and never winning a cup....Miller matters to them IMHO...they've got a stable full of youth...they need someone to help them learn to win. And players like Miller help do that.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Alright here we go again.  Buckle up sir because it's time to get number with some hypotheticals you can crap on with your opinion after.

1.  So the Canucks posted a 40-30-12 record, scoring 249 goals while having 236 scored against them.  They had a team average .915 save percentage/2.69 gaa using 4 goalies for an averaged out 2.75 adjGaa% their average top 6 scoring was 63.4 points while their average bottom 6 scoring was 18.8 points.  Average age 25 years old

VS

The devils who posted a 27-46-9 record, scoring 248 goals (one less than vancouver) while having 307 scored against them.  They had a team average 8.86 save percentage/3.52GAA while using 7 goalies for an averaged out 3.63 adjGaa% Their average top 6 scoring was 54.1 points while their average bottom 6 scoring was 24.3 points.  Average age 22.75

Now, we factor in how AWFUL that goaltending was and the fact they have $26.6 million in cap space this year alone and we see clearly that one quality goaltender capable of stopping an additional .20% on their GAA wins them a minimum of 7 more games.  That alone puts them 14 points forward or tied with San Jose for 22nd in the league.  That's a major upgrade with just one goaltender or missing the playoffs by now only 23 points.  That's point the first.  Keep that in mind.

2.  Miller alone might not get them 17-18 more wins by himself.  But his defensive acumen and ability to win faceoffs and play C/LW/RW does in fact make them a much harder top 6 to play against.  They have only 2 players with a positive FO% in Hischier and Zacha and adding his 54.1% FO% in fact gives them FAR greater options on the dot while also freeing up not as defensively minded offensive players to be more offensive.  So let's say adding Miller wins them 5-7 more games.  Split the difference and say 6 games 12 points.  This puts them at 89 points with 2 additions alone in Miller and a quality goal tender.  Or a mere 3 points behind us in the standings, good for tied for 19th with Winnipeg or 9th in the east

3.  No, they will not make the playoffs with their current goaltending and defense.  But we see how simply adding a bonafide top tier player like miller and a goaltender can POSSIBLY improve their positioning.  Especially with an aging out Boston and Pittsburgh.  Now that defense.  I'd say is better than you think.  Just very young.  Severson/Hamilton are solid players and with $26+ million in cap space. Adding a few extra role players on defense and on that bottom 6 (a bottom 6 that outscored ours I might add) will only help them.  Their bottom 6 is in need of a 4th line centre, they need a responsible 3rd line winger and a 3-4 LD/RHD to take the load off of Severson and Hamilton.  Adding any of the combinations of Trochek/Klingberg/Rakell/Domi/Smith/Manson/Strome/Mikhayev/Husso/Fleury/Kuemper and even giving Subban another much smaller contract only improve them in ways we don't have the cap space to do.  They more than have the cap space to do this and let's ball park an addition 5 wins based on these additions or 10 points.  Bringing them to 100 points and now in the eastern playoffs tied for Washington.

4.  Miller aging out and being almost 30 is an issue, but NJ is not beholden to him for a longer contract.  He's an almost PERFECT stop gap for 1-3 years and a 2 year extension of $9+ million fits NJ's timeline perfectly.  They can afford him.  he insulates the kids.  They have arguably one of the better prospect pools in the league and are one of the youngest teams with the most easily fixed issues with goaltending, in their bottom 6 and 3-4 and 5-6 on the back end.  They've a ton of cap space and more than enough assets due to their 3rd lottery win in 6 years to actually start moving out of Buffalo territory.  Which is to say stockpiling picks/assets and seeing them fail to succeed.

Bottom line is your opinion is that Miller might not want to go to NJ or NJ might not want or need him.  But the numbers clearly indicate, hypothetical or not what NJ would stand to gain by adding Miller even short term.  We did it with Sundin, Samuellsson  and a half dozen other players from 2008-2011 and it only helped Burrows, Kesler, the Sedins etc.  teams do moves like Miller ALL the time.  This caveat on this is there has not been a 100 point player available for under $5.5 million capable of playing all 3 forward positions in modern history in the league.  With retention, he could be available for less than $3 million.  Would this be worth the 2nd overall?  It's as up in the air as my hypothetical numbers or your opinion.  But the argument I have laid out shows that Miller would absolutely benefit the devils for even ONE year and could possibly be had for a single or multiple year extension afterwards while still cashing in hard.

Hell sir, I would go so far as to say that with 1 trade and two or three smart signings.  The Devils could be closer to the playoffs than the Canucks are if they get Miller and a goaltender worth the name.  So, is he worth the 2nd overall pick?  Maybe not.  Would he help the Devils make the playoffs while only costing them a pick/prospect and not spending to the hilt in free agency?  Absolutely.

Great post

I came at it from another angle, the simply fact that since 2015 the Devils have picked top 6 a total of 5 times and have made the playoffs once since 2013 and lost in the first round.

They have been losing perennially and at some point you have to start competing for a cup.

There seems to be a view on these boards that you collect high draft picks year after year for 5-8 years and then magically you will win a cup...that's not how it works and it ignores the fact sports is about winning not collecting draft picks like a video game. Fans want to see wins, playoffs and cups, and so do management and owners since playoffs is where you make money.

Losing and losing money for a decade is not fun for fans, management or owners.

• Upvote 3