The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All 32 NHL teams should play playoffs

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Slegr said:

It’s an extreme proposal - but I say all 32 NHL teams should be in the playoffs. Five rounds, each conference it’s #1 vs #16, and so on. The numbers work.

Why?

The NHL playoffs currently only allow for 16 teams, and it has been that way since  I’ve been watching. When the NHL only has 21 teams in 1989, it was 16 who got in. Now we have 32 teams, and it’s still only 16 in. When the Canucks of 1994 made the post season, we had a regular season record of just above .500. We had a much better season this year and no post season. The real response to “why”, is “why not”?

But won’t regular season mean less?

Not at all. Teams will continue playing for positioning - it would be a monster advantage to play the 16th place team. A lot of extra revenue for all teams, and in fact regular season games would mean more all the way to the finish. It would stop teams from tanking. 

Let’s do it, Buttman. It’ll make more miracles on ice.

The team's record this year was 40-32-12. Overtime and shootout losses are LOSSES. Their real record was 40-42. That's not above .500.

I feel bad for anyone who thinks this team was 8 game above .500.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Imagine Colorado, resting their superstars, tanking the season, getting the first overall pick and still be a Cup contender.

If Colorado had any interest in doing that, they could still finish around 8th in the conference rather than first right now. No players would want to purposefully tank when you’re that good. What goalie is going to purposely let in more goals and hurt his personal stats to help a team acquire a better draft pick?

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The team's record this year was 40-32-12. Overtime and shootout losses are LOSSES. Their real record was 40-42. That's not above .500.

I’d disagree with that. An OT loss wouldn’t count as a loss, it would be a tie if we’re comparing pre-shootouts. They still got a point from the game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

If Colorado had any interest in doing that, they could still finish around 8th in the conference rather than first right now. No players would want to purposefully tank when you’re that good. What goalie is going to purposely let in more goals and hurt his personal stats to help a team acquire a better draft pick?

Do you honestly think players are going to try in the regular season, risking their health? Especially older players, or players who have a long list of past injuries?

Stats are just stats. I bet most players would trade that in for a chance at a cup.

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Let's hand out participation ribbons to everyone.

Or better, let’s have the eastern conference playoff teams decided by Halloween like this year. That’s exciting too, and gives fans of the other half of teams lots to look forward to a year and a half into the future.

Just now, Slegr said:

Or better, let’s have the eastern conference playoff teams decided by Halloween like this year. That’s exciting too, and gives fans of the other half of teams lots to look forward to a year and a half into the future.

LMFAO...exaggerate much?

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Do you honestly think players are going to try in the regular season, risking their health? Especially older players, or players who have a long list of past injuries?

Stats are just stats. I bet most players would trade that in for a chance at a cup.

NHL could shorten the length of contracts more so there would be more incentive for players to try hard in regular season.

I personally love that it's difficult to get into the playoffs now. It seems like a bit of a joke that the 80s Canucks made the playoffs for six straight years and it was obviously because of the very low standard to make the playoffs. I prefer that you actually have to be a good team to make it into the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

The playoffs are too long.  The playoffs have become a tournament of attrition.  The team who can remain the healthiest has the best chance to win.  This is why, as it is, the first round is the best

Let's have 8 teams make the playoffs.  It will make all of the games more competitive because the top 8 teams have a very real chance at winning and there will be no games played against no-hope-ers.  Also, the regular season games will have more meaning to the very end

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The playoffs are too long.  The playoffs have become a tournament of attrition.  The team who can remain the healthiest has the best chance to win.  This is why, as it is, the first round is the best

Let's have 8 teams make the playoffs.  It will make all of the games more competitive because the top 8 teams have a very real chance at winning and there will be no games played against no-hope-ers.  Also, the regular season games will have more meaning to the very end

I actually enjoy cheering for those Cinderella teams, like the Caps this year. Top 8 would be dreadful, and would actually make a significant part of the regular season pointless for most teams.

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

In 1993-1994 our record was 41-40-3.  We had 3 ties.  Up until 1999 there was no overtime.  So without overtime our record this year would be better than in 1994.  In 1994 we qualified for the playoffs with 85 points.  Now because of the loser point you need 94 points + to make it.