The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Senators "Will be open for business" surrounding 7th overall

18 hours ago, HKSR said:

I would include Podkolzin or even #15OA in a trade if it meant landing Dobson.  He's exactly what the Canucks need in a long term RHD for Hughes.

I told him we were gonna draft him because I did not think Huggie would be available, but I am glad I was wrong. Now if only this could have been a premonition for him coming to VAN in the future lol. 

35923215_10214812633207393_4096165994446192640_n.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not sure what that means exactly...Dorian recognized his EK core wasn't working and pulled the plug about as hard as any GM has done other then maybe Lou in TO since the cap came in and did exactly what most of us hoped JB could or would do.   They already had Chabot in the stable too... Dorian and his scouting staff also have a very good drafting history of finding guys outside of the first round.    And punching above their weight class in the first round often enough too.    They are now at a point where they can start adding playing to compliment their team and spend to the cap - something both Dorian and RIP Melnyk both said they'd be doing soon.    They are in an envious position to leapfrog a lot of teams very soon with some smart acquisitions.   Look at what happened to our team just by plugging two holes by signing Myers and Miller (and we still had remnants of our last core).... 

Anyways wouldn't make fun of Dorian.  He's done an admirable job - aside from the Zib trade which he got fleeced on, and the Duchene deal (which in a way sparked the tear down and the rebuild in the first place) ... we have Hoglander as a tweener - they have six or seven guys like him and a lot doing a lot better on a team spending not even close to the cap.   They for sure could not only afford Miller, he might be a target for them, or one of the other high profile UFAs this summer.    Brock makes some sense too.   Another guy they can afford and only a short flight to his parents.    He loaded up on picks - something we never did, and of course, like usual, hit on more then 90% of the GMs out there. 

Yes, great post. Just imagine how much further ahead we would be if we did things correctly. That's how you build a team these days. To many shortcuts in the last 10 years has left us in purgatory with nothing in the pipeline. Hopefully we take some serious steps towards correcting that this summer.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes, great post. Just imagine how much further ahead we would be if we did things correctly. That's how you build a team these days. To many shortcuts in the last 10 years has left us in purgatory with nothing in the pipeline. Hopefully we take some serious steps towards correcting that this summer.

Half measures.  I don't blame JB for what he had to deal with at the start.   He followed the protocols in place and managed to draft decently enough until its last gasp.   But his "competitive" complex did him in.    Really screwed up our cap.   This idea that our fanbase can't endure a rebuild was ridiculous.   Get it wasn't going to come right away, what i don't get was him thinking we were as close or as good as he thought. I'm sure JR, Allvin and the chipmunks won't be so daft.   Even the casual fan can see that we didn't bottom out properly.    As soon as Burrows, Bieksa and Hansen left, that was his chance to let us flounder and not spend to the cap. 

• Cheers 3

On 5/13/2022 at 8:44 PM, Alflives said:

Why would we do that?  

15 + Garland + 3rd (2023) to move up to 7?  Am I reading your suggestion wrong?  Because it reads as kind of nuts.  

Got pay to play Alfie.. huge difference between 7oa and 15oa

Get salary off the books and a top 10 Pic. 

On 5/19/2022 at 3:50 AM, spook007 said:

If we could land a player like, if not, Dobson that would be perfect...

We may have to pay, sorry we will have to pay to get that, thus Podz may be in play... but isn't it a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul?

We've been desperate for some size, who can actually play in the top 6... Its not as if we are drowning in big forwards? But yes Dobson would be a great addition.

Podz Boessers millers for Barzel Dobz and walstrom! Blamo!

• Vintage 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, Alflives said:

Who, on our roster, is worth 7OA that we would trade and the Sens would want?  Clearly we aren't trading Petey, Demko, or Hughes.  And it's highly unlikely the Sens would want Miller.  So ...

Garland straight across for 7OA?

Boeser + 15 for 7OA?

They took hamonic for a 3rd. 

Maybe they like Myers and 15oa  would even let them pry away poolman Dickenson pearson 

just gotta put a little lip stick on the pig as they say .lol 

He’s a right d

he’s a big top 2 defender 

A veteran leader who’s got lots of good years left. 
he helps immediately 

Would definitely tests PAs poker face. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, Alflives said:

Who, on our roster, is worth 7OA that we would trade and the Sens would want?  Clearly we aren't trading Petey, Demko, or Hughes.  And it's highly unlikely the Sens would want Miller.  So ...

Garland straight across for 7OA?

Boeser + 15 for 7OA?

You kidding me? I would want more than their 7th OA for Miller. Miller is a top 10 forward in the NHL and has a gambit of other qualities that I’m not gonna get into with you. 

Remind yourself pops. Prospects are not guaranteed players. That 7th OA can turn to a career 3rd liner / bottom level defenceman. Hell, he may not even make or stay in the NHL. Hello JV and OJ….

No thanks. 

Edited by grandmaster

On 5/18/2022 at 5:28 PM, HKSR said:

I would include Podkolzin or even #15OA in a trade if it meant landing Dobson.  He's exactly what the Canucks need in a long term RHD for Hughes.

I admire your assessment of Podkolzin as a great asset. 

However, Podkolzin just found his NHL game and will be like watching Messier out there.

Boeser to me is the odd man out.

NYI

Boeser

15OA22

VAN

Dobson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1