The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Golden Knights fire head coach Pete DeBoer

Rate this topic

51 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bit of a scapegoat. I think Deboer's been lucky to coach great teams and Gallant never should have been fired.

A big reason they missed the playoffs was injuries, sure, but they had their big guns back for the push and all fell short there. 

For me the team sucks because of Eichel, the whole team changed for the worse after that trade. Probably bad luck/coincidence but they're a .500 team with him.

Why are you blaming Jack Eichel for all this?  Vegas has a long list of issues with DeBoer right in the middle of it.  Yes, that trade disrupted the core - yes, they couldn't gel together in time to actually win games.  But Eichel played hard and was one of their best players down the stretch (bear in mind he was still rusty and had to play with a broken thumb the final six weeks).

Vegas is an organizational failure.  The culture is wrong.  The GM is wrong.  The depth is wrong.  The coach was wrong.  You are the one trying to scapegoat Eichel.

• Cheers 1

I think it had to happen after the Lehner debacle and missing the playoffs.

You have to think it was also his decision to go with Lehner over Fleury, so maybe management saw an inability to stick with a goalie.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

A big reason they missed the playoffs was injuries, sure, but they had their big guns back for the push and all fell short there. 

Yes, but they used Long-Term Injury to stay under the cap. If everyone under contract had been on the active roster, they would have exceeded the cap by about $10 million.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

For me the team sucks because of Eichel, the whole team changed for the worse after that trade. Probably bad luck/coincidence but they're a .500 team with him.

When the trade was made, I talked about the Eichel Curse: Any team he is on does not make the playoffs. Seven years in the league, never made the playoffs, and with Calgary and Edmonton already being better teams than Vegas, along with improvements in LA, Vancouver and Anaheim, I could see Vegas finishing 6th or 7th next season. Who are they going fire then?

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Why are you blaming Jack Eichel for all this?  Vegas has a long list of issues with DeBoer right in the middle of it.  Yes, that trade disrupted the core - yes, they couldn't gel together in time to actually win games.  But Eichel played hard and was one of their best players down the stretch (bear in mind he was still rusty and had to play with a broken thumb the final six weeks).

Vegas is an organizational failure.  The culture is wrong.  The GM is wrong.  The depth is wrong.  The coach was wrong.  You are the one trying to scapegoat Eichel.

No lol. Buffalo was trash with him.. record and locker room showed it. Now the cancer has swapped teams ... Buffalo went on a tear, record wise and it seems like they are finally becoming a team. Yet vegas started turning into Buffalo on and off the ice.

1 guy is the common denominator here, and his name is jack eichel 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You mean the Lehner situation, right?  DeBoer is straight-up cancer for goalies.  I've never seen a coach throw his goaltenders under the bus the way he has.  Just look up all the stuff he did and said about Lehner in that last month, when he was injured.  Honestly not sure if that was worse or Fleury.  With Fleury, the agent's iconic backstab image became a reality when they traded him for pucks.

You guys haven't been paying attention.  DeBoer was a serious problem.  He was rigid and very quick to point fingers.  It is like saying Green wasn't the problem here because Benning was a poor GM.  That organization in Vegas has become rotten to the core.  I get that some teams have a cutthroat management style, but Vegas is one of the only franchises that does this with their OWN players.  Who gives a crap about loyalty when you can make flashy roster moves?  I actually liked Vegas that first year, but it is no coincidence they've quickly become the most hated NHL franchise.

I guess I never got too deep into the workings at Vegas, they were pretty boring this year. 

I don't see Trotz going to Vegas. He has been coaching forever and would pocket 4 million just kicking back next year. Time to recharge. He will have his pick of teams whenever he chooses to start working again imho.

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Glad Vegas never made playoffs..Gallant took them to the finals and gets fired and he is a better coach then DeBoer...

Trade they made with Buffalo will hurt them in time..

Tuch 26, 6'3 power forward he is good GP 50 - G 12 -PTS 38 -- Play in top 6

Krebs-21 , 5'11 C/LW -- GP48 - G7 - PTS 22 -- Future top 6 player

2022 - 1st rounder 16th overall

2023 - 2nd rounder

Eichel 25--- Vegas

6 hours ago, Googlie said:

IMO Vegas lost their way when they traded Tuch.  He was the inspirational leader of that team, much like Miller is to us

Up against cap, need a top 10 goalie, Trade some key guys Tuch 6'3 power forward, Buffalo trade and Montreal trade young talented players away.. Trying to rush cup.. Chemistry is gone...

Key guys Pietrangelo 33, 5yrs x 8.8  Pacioretty 33 - 1 yr x 7.5 UFA, Stone 30 -6yrs--X 9.5--   Eichel 26 Oct- 4 yrs X 10 million