The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pacific Coast Hockey Academy- Victoria

Hey everyone! Not sure if this is the right place to post, but my son is transferring from the Saskatoon Contacts of the U18AAA league to the Pacific Coast Hockey Academy in Victoria. (CSSHL)  The plan is to try and have him play Junior A hockey with one of the BCHL teams.

I haven't been to Victoria in recent memory (25+ Years) Anything we should know? Besides golfing, what is there to do? Anyone watch CSSHL games or Junior A, BCHL Games.

The academy is in Langford.  Would love to hear your suggestions!

In case you're wondering this is his Elite Prospects profile.  He was drafted in December by the Red Deer Rebels. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/715183/kanye-huang

Yes, his name is Kanye.

Edited by Losing With Pride
  • Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

Hey everyone! Not sure if this is the right place to post, but my son is transferring from the Saskatoon Contacts of the U18AAA league to the Pacific Coast Hockey Academy in Victoria. (CSSHL)  The plan is to try and have him play Junior A hockey with one of the BCHL teams.

I haven't been to Victoria in recent memory (25+ Years) Anything we should know? Besides golfing, what is there to do? Anyone watch CSSHL games or Junior A, BCHL Games.

In case you're wondering this is his Elite Prospects profile.  He was drafted in December by the Red Deer Rebels. 

Yes, his name is Kanye.

Haven't been to Vic is several years, but as I recall it, it's quite nice. Langford? Somewhat less so....

'Grats to your kid, BTW.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Haven't been to Vic is several years, but as I recall it, it's quite nice. Langford? Somewhat less so....

'Grats to your kid, BTW.

Other way around these days.

Langford is lovely, Vic is turning into a ****hole. But none of the residents will either see or acknowledge that... or their definition of ****hole is different from the traditional one.

Vic has lovely 'spots' that raise the rest of the average. That's about it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Losing With Pride said:

I've been to several Grizzlies games.  It's pretty good hockey.  The Royals have had a couple of rough years, but it's still fun to catch a game.  

2 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

Yes, his name is Kanye.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

'Grats to your kid, BTW.

2 hours ago, brownky said:

Other way around these days.

Langford is lovely, Vic is turning into a ****hole. But none of the residents will either see or acknowledge that... or their definition of ****hole is different from the traditional one.

Vic has lovely 'spots' that raise the rest of the average. That's about it.

A friendly welcome to another soon to be Victorian! Congrats to your son as well!

There’s a surprising amount of things to do here. Anything from high end dining to skydiving to breweries (we have an insane amount, there’s a reason Victoria is considered the craft brewing capital of the world) to museums to escape rooms to trampoline parks to beaches to mountain hikes to lakes to music festivals to sports to recreation centers. We have our own local sports teams too: like the Victoria royals hockey and Victoria shamrocks lacrosse. I could go on forever listing them all, but suffice to say there’s a lot to do. More and more activities are created each and every year, sometimes places pop up out of nowhere. Our restaurant business is cutthroat, similar in per capita rate to San Francisco, many places don’t even last a year, but we’ve got some fantastic locally owned places and food truck scene.

We’re a tourist town that relies on tourism for downtown businesses and government for jobs. We have cruise ships arrive daily. We’ve got a decent public transportation system and lots of bike lanes. It’s the activity level of a city with a town-like feel. There’s basically 6 degrees of separation everywhere. Every 6th person you know knows someone you know. We’re mostly newly weds or nearly deads as we like to call it lol. The weather is fairly mild, we don’t get a lot of snow and usually don’t get a ton of heat (last summer’s heat wave nothwithstanding).

Langford has completely turned around from what it used to be even a decade ago. It’s a very nice place to live now and most people who are priced out of Victoria are moving there. It’s growing very fast.

Victoria is most definitely not a $&!# hole, it’s got homeless people like most places and some areas are getting run down, but there’s a reason why our housing and rent prices are skyrocketing: everyone wants to live the relaxed coastal island life. You’re free to your opinion, but that is probably the thought from someone who hasn’t travelled to many other places. Or maybe someone who hasn’t ever been to the East side of Vancouver. That doesn’t mean Vancouver is a $&!# hole city though. Every city has its problems, it’s inevitable with so many people in one area.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

2 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

Yes, his name is Kanye.

Congrats Dad, you must be proud of your son. It is a long road, isn't it! LOL, I bet you and your wife had a dollar for every mile put on that car of yours!

Anyway......museums, hiking, biking, camping, gold, swimming, whale watching.............it pretty much has it all

Your son will have to get used to the winters in Victoria, absolutely the mildest winters in Canada...........probably less than a week of snow in the winter, and Flowers start coming out in March..............it rains a little, and blows alot. But none of that interferes with life, down there.

As for hockey, there are great programs down there, with junior teams, and a very good AAA midget and Bantam programs. We live up in Nanaimo, and see Victoria up here every winter. Nanaimo  (BCJHL) is in the finals against Penticton right now, we are down 2, and I am going to the game tonight. There is also Junior hockey in Duncan, which is closer to Victoria............Port Alberni is also in the same league. Finding good hockey on the island is not a concern.

Housing will cripple you down there, as will Nanaimo, because it is so beautiful, and the mild winters............Nanaimo has more snow!  like 3 weeks of it a year......more rain too!

If you would like to talk to someone about the hockey on the Island (Vancouver Island is called the Island in these parts) I have a very good friend who runs the VIU Mariners college team. (Not advocating for your son) he is just a very good connection, and has alot of hockey friends (hockey connected friends) So, if you want to talk to someone who is connected, he is the man. ( He is a newfie, so salt of the earth kinda guy) Private message me if you want his phone number..........

Other than that............Victoria has a great University, and a great College down there, so it is just a great city................

I have a grand son who is 5, so his Dad is just starting to drive him to hockey..............my grandson will hoist the Stanley Cup one day! I hope your son will too!

Cheers!

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 2

The second life lesson I teach my son, the first being treat others the way you expect to be treated, is never give up. 

I mean never !

Believe in yourself totally and always put 100 percent into what you do and the sky is the limit. 

Physical skills are important however training the mind is the most important training any athlete can do. 

I wish you and your son all the best and I hope he achieves his dreams.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Congratulations to you and your son - I can't imagine the sacrifices your son and your family have gone through to get him to this point, so good luck and hope he enjoys the ride.

I can't say much about the academy itself, but I can say a bit about Victoria.  It's a government town, and as with most government towns, it's got people in suits and ties that are filled with a sense of self-importance (but might not actually be doing all that much).  However, having said that, it's still a town (in every sense of the word), and so it doesn't (yet) have the trappings of a city like Vancouver.  Downtown Vic has stores and restaurants and pubs like any good town, and they might even be busy on the weekends.  Things might be quieter in Langford, since it's not really in the Legislative district.

I haven't been to Saskatoon in 25+ years, but I imagine it hasn't really changed all that much since I last visited.  You'll probably find that aside from perhaps having a bit more people in town compared to when you last visited Victoria, and perhaps more of those people have silver hair, that not much outwardly has changed either.

Victoria is also trying to be a tourist hub, so there will be things to do, but some of it may be further up the island.  The highways up the island aren't bad once you get out of the Malahat stretch, and if you don't mind being out of the greater Vic area for more than a day trip, there's plenty more available worth seeing.  It'll certainly get you away from the cruise ship and crazy mainlander tourist crowds.  :lol:

Saskatoon has grown so much, the population is about 300,000. Definitely worth visiting during the summer! Winters are still so cold. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

Saskatoon has grown so much, the population is about 300,000. Definitely worth visiting during the summer! Winters are still so cold. 

Another place I haven't been for a few decades now....

Definitely a nice place in the summer....unfortunately, I found very little redeeming about Regina....

• Like 1

My nephews played for the Delta hockey Academy for years. Cost my sister and Husband an arm an a leg but got one of them an Ivy league scholarship. The other one just loved getting drunk instead. They had Ian Gallagher as their athletic trainer and he was a no nonsense guy. I bet the school in Langford will have the Courtnall's involved or other NHL'ers as there are lots of retired guys living in that area. Stay away from Esquimalt. It's the Whalley of Victoria. 

• Like 1

Born and raised in Victoria here!

Housing prices are insane now and the rental market is just as crazy as anywhere else in Canada. Other than that, Victoria is a beautiful small city. From greater Victoria, it is a pretty much a 10-20 minute drive in any direction to get to where you want (Langford, Sidney, Esquimalt, Colwood, UVIC, etc). Lots of beautiful trails and hikes around and there are lots of nice little cities and towns (as you drive up island) that have their own authentic flair. Summer is great on Vancouver Island and the winters are not bad either since there is barely any snow, just lots of rain. The nice thing is you're only a ferry ride away from the mainland as well, and the ride on their can be quite enjoyable (unless you're doing it frequently). Note, the city is pretty much dead after 9:00pm unless you're into going to bars and clubs.. not a lot of food options / late night eateries past that point.

In terms of Langford, it has definitely become a nice to place to live over the last few years. Lots of development going on and more to come. It also has the only Costco between here and Nanaimo so the city as a whole gets quite busy on the weekends. One negative thing is the drive in and out of Victoria / Saanich for work as it can get quite backed up during the week during rush hour, but that has been substantially improved since they built the new McKenzie interchange a few years ago.

Edited by 250Integra
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

My nephews played for the Delta hockey Academy for years. Cost my sister and Husband an arm an a leg but got one of them an Ivy league scholarship. The other one just loved getting drunk instead. They had Ian Gallagher as their athletic trainer and he was a no nonsense guy. I bet the school in Langford will have the Courtnall's involved or other NHL'ers as there are lots of retired guys living in that area. Stay away from Esquimalt. It's the Whalley of Victoria. 

I am utterly amazed at how much Esquimalt has improved since 30-40 years ago. I grew up in Esquimalt and you're assessment of it would have been accurate back then. Now I actually wouldn't mind living there.

5 hours ago, Bell said:

Victoria is a world class city

I have lived in Victoria since I was 2. It's a nice place to live but world class? When I think world class I think of Tokyo, Paris, Rome, London, Buenos Aires, New York, Sydney, Bangkok, San Fransisco.

I don't think of Victoria. Unless you're talking about the Victoria region of Hong Kong. In my opinion you can't be a world class city if you're basically a ghost town after 9 PM.

Edited by nuckin_futz

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I have lived in Victoria since I was 2. It's a nice place to live but world class? When I think world class I think of Tokyo, Paris, Rome, London, Buenos Aires, New York, Sydney, Bangkok, San Fransisco.

I don't think of Victoria. Unless you're talking about the Victoria region of Hong Kong. In my opinion you can't be a world class city if you're basically a ghost town after 9 PM.

Soooo....Moose Jaw is out as well? :unsure: