J.T Miller

Tucker Poolman

Nils Hoglander

To Vancouver:

Travis Konecny

Travis Sanheim

Isaac Ratcliffe

24’ 1st round pick (Philly’s own)

Why does Philadelphia make this trade: Philly is looking for an aggressive re-tool to their team this off-season and both Konecny and Sanheim are rumoured to be the trading block. This trade gives the Flyers a nice 1-2 punch down the middle and also clears about 2m in cap space for them to go after a impact player in the free agent market. Flyers would also have the cap to extent Miller to a new contract next off-season, when JVR’s contract is up. Which will be the key to this trade, as he wouldn’t be a rental. 

Why does Vancouver make this trade: With the uncertainty of Miller’s contract status, and the unlikelihood of re-signing him. This gives Vancouver two younger players who can help out when they are prime to compete in a few years. Konecny is signed for three more years, at a reasonable caphit and is the type of player JR mentioned as a “sandpaper” guy, who can pitch-in offensively in the top 6. While Sanheim would be a left-handed defensemen, that doesn’t really fit Vancouver’s needs. He can play on the right-side, as he did sporadically this season. Sanheim is the upgrade in the top 4, that JR has been harping on in his interviews; young that can play in all situations. Raticliffe is a bit of a project, but he’s another sandpaper guy, that could turn into a solid bottom 6 player, if he fully develops.

To Washington:

OEL

William Lockwood

3rd round pick

To Vancouver:

Lars Eller

Why does Washington make this trade: Washington is in dire need of an upgrade to their defensive core. OEL brings them stability on the backend and gives them a nice top pairing to go up against the opposition top line. They have the caphit to fully take on OEL’s contract. Especially if they put Backstrom on LTIR. Of course, this trade is only doable if OEL waives his NTC, but getting a chance at the playoffs, while playing with one of the best goal scorer in the game. I think that would be pretty enticing, than being stuck in a bubble team who isn’t nearly ready to compete.

Why does Vancouver make this trade. Solely to clear cap. JR mentioned that they need to revamp the defense and also need to clear cap. Ideally, I think most people would trade Myers, but with the addition to Sanheim, OEL would be pretty much expendable. I also think Myers would be harder to trade, as we would probably need to add more incentives to the deal in order for teams to bite. Eller would be a solid addition to the 3rd line and even if it doesn’t work out. He’s only signed for one year. 

To Anaheim:

Jason Dickinson

To Vancouver:

Derek Grant

4th round pick

Why does Anaheim make this trade: They get younger and essentially replace Grant, who is on an expiring contract.

Why does Vancouver make this trade: Again to clear a bit a cap, without really losing any value. Grant is older, but his advance metrics are better than Dickinson’s. Plus, another sandpaper guy.

Chapter 2: Free Agency/Re-signing/2023 roster

- Re-sign Boeser 6yrs/36m (6m)

- Sign Jan Rutta 3yrs/5.4m (1.8m)

- Sign Johan Larsson 3yrs/6m (2m)

- Sign Zachary Aston-Reese 2yrs/3m (1.5m)

- Sign Ilya Lyubushkin 4yrs/12m (3m)

Podkolzin (900k) - Pettersson (7.3) - Boeser (6)

Konecny (5.5) - Horvat (5.5) - Pearson (3.2)

Larsson (2) - Eller (3) - Garland (4.9)

Aston-Reese (1.5) - Lammikko (1.2) - Grant (1.5)

Highmore (900k)

Sanheim (4.9) - Myers (6)

Hughes (7.8) - Lyubushkin (3)

Dermott (1.5) - Rutta (1.8)

Schenn (850k)

Demko (5)

Martin (760k)

Deadcap - 2.4

Total Caphit = 77.4

Final Chapter: Final Take.

Sandpaper is a thing in hockey. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Despite knowing full well that Arizona wanted to trade him and mounting tension with head coach Tocchet, OEL was only willing to waive for Vancouver and possibly Boston.  Wouldn't expect him to waive.  

Dhaliwal/Drance believe that he's impressed management and that they are comfortable keeping him.  They might have to retain if they wish to trade him.  Also Fehérváry had a breakout season for Washington and he's an LD - they'll likely want a top-4 spot for him.  With Backstrom's future uncertain, they might be less inclined to move Eller.  Who are their Cs without Backstrom and Eller?

Seravalli was actually talking about how Vancouver might have to pay a team to move Dickinson - was citing Anaheim, Arizona as teams looking to leverage their cap space for futures.  Anaheim is in a rebuild and unless Vancouver adds a decent draft pick, they seem more likely to keep Grant and then move him at the TDL for an asset to help their rebuild.  Grant leads their team in short-handed face-offs and ice time - they don't really look to be interchangeable.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Despite knowing full well that Arizona wanted to trade him and mounting tension with head coach Tocchet, OEL was only willing to waive for Vancouver and possibly Boston.  Wouldn't expect him to waive.  

Dhaliwal/Drance believe that he's impressed management and that they are comfortable keeping him.  They might have to retain if they wish to trade him.  Also Fehérváry had a breakout season for Washington and he's an LD - they'll likely want a top-4 spot for him.  With Backstrom's future uncertain, they might be less inclined to move Eller.  Who are their Cs without Backstrom and Eller?

Seravalli was actually talking about how Vancouver might have to pay a team to move Dickinson - was citing Anaheim, Arizona as teams looking to leverage their cap space for futures.  Anaheim is in a rebuild and unless Vancouver adds a decent draft pick, they seem more likely to keep Grant and then move him at the TDL for an asset to help their rebuild.  Grant leads their team in short-handed face-offs and ice time - they don't really look to be interchangeable.

Friedman mentioned Canucks management was trying to find a market for OEL. I think if there was an ideal situation, he could possibly waive.

In his 12 years in the league, he has only made the playoffs twice. He probably wants that feeling of playing in the playoffs, and he’s not going to get it here, playing in Vancouver anytime soon. Washington would be a good fit. They only missed the playoffs once in 15 years. He has a good opportunity to play in the playoffs there, while playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom, when he returns.

Kuznetsov as their number one. They can move McMichael, his natural position, as the number two or re-sign Johansson. Sign  Beagle on the open market. 

I don’t think Anaheim can get anything better than a 3rd rounder for Grant at the deadline. Larsson is pretty much the same type of player, cost Washington a 3rd, plus Arizona had to retain. Dickinson brings the same value, is younger and is signed for two more years. 

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Friedman mentioned Canucks management was trying to find a market for OEL. I think if there was an ideal situation, he could possibly waive.

In his 12 years in the league, he has only made the playoffs twice. He probably wants that feeling of playing in the playoffs, and he’s not going to get it here, playing in Vancouver anytime soon. Washington would be a good fit. They only missed the playoffs once in 15 years. He has a good opportunity to play in the playoffs there, while playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom, when he returns.

Kuznetsov as their number one. They can move McMichael, his natural position, as the number two or re-sign Johansson. Sign  Beagle on the open market. 

I don’t think Anaheim can get anything better than a 3rd rounder for Grant at the deadline. Larsson is pretty much the same type of player, cost Washington a 3rd, plus Arizona had to retain. Dickinson brings the same value, is younger and is signed for two more years. 

I don't know OEL but he preferred clashing with his coach and having a lesser role than waiving for a larger group of teams.  Dhaliwal/Drance's source say otherwise.

A 3rd is better than getting saddled with an inefficient contract for 2 more seasons.  Dickinson looks like a cap dump at this stage - he might need to 1st rebound before Vancouver can trade him.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Chapter 1: Draft Day Trades and Excitement:

To Philadelphia:

J.T Miller

Tucker Poolman

Nils Hoglander

To Vancouver:

Travis Konecny

Travis Sanheim

Isaac Ratcliffe

24’ 1st round pick (Philly’s own)

Why does Philadelphia make this trade: Philly is looking for an aggressive re-tool to their team this off-season and both Konecny and Sanheim are rumoured to be the trading block. This trade gives the Flyers a nice 1-2 punch down the middle and also clears about 2m in cap space for them to go after a impact player in the free agent market. Flyers would also have the cap to extent Miller to a new contract next off-season, when JVR’s contract is up. Which will be the key to this trade, as he wouldn’t be a rental. 

Why does Vancouver make this trade: With the uncertainty of Miller’s contract status, and the unlikelihood of re-signing him. This gives Vancouver two younger players who can help out when they are prime to compete in a few years. Konecny is signed for three more years, at a reasonable caphit and is the type of player JR mentioned as a “sandpaper” guy, who can pitch-in offensively in the top 6. While Sanheim would be a left-handed defensemen, that doesn’t really fit Vancouver’s needs. He can play on the right-side, as he did sporadically this season. Sanheim is the upgrade in the top 4, that JR has been harping on in his interviews; young that can play in all situations. Raticliffe is a bit of a project, but he’s another sandpaper guy, that could turn into a solid bottom 6 player, if he fully develops.

To Washington:

OEL

William Lockwood

3rd round pick

To Vancouver:

Lars Eller

Why does Washington make this trade: Washington is in dire need of an upgrade to their defensive core. OEL brings them stability on the backend and gives them a nice top pairing to go up against the opposition top line. They have the caphit to fully take on OEL’s contract. Especially if they put Backstrom on LTIR. Of course, this trade is only doable if OEL waives his NTC, but getting a chance at the playoffs, while playing with one of the best goal scorer in the game. I think that would be pretty enticing, than being stuck in a bubble team who isn’t nearly ready to compete.

Why does Vancouver make this trade. Solely to clear cap. JR mentioned that they need to revamp the defense and also need to clear cap. Ideally, I think most people would trade Myers, but with the addition to Sanheim, OEL would be pretty much expendable. I also think Myers would be harder to trade, as we would probably need to add more incentives to the deal in order for teams to bite. Eller would be a solid addition to the 3rd line and even if it doesn’t work out. He’s only signed for one year. 

To Anaheim:

Jason Dickinson

To Vancouver:

Derek Grant

4th round pick

Why does Anaheim make this trade: They get younger and essentially replace Grant, who is on an expiring contract.

Why does Vancouver make this trade: Again to clear a bit a cap, without really losing any value. Grant is older, but his advance metrics are better than Dickinson’s. Plus, another sandpaper guy.

Chapter 2: Free Agency/Re-signing/2023 roster

- Re-sign Boeser 6yrs/36m (6m)

- Sign Jan Rutta 3yrs/5.4m (1.8m)

- Sign Johan Larsson 3yrs/6m (2m)

- Sign Zachary Aston-Reese 2yrs/3m (1.5m)

- Sign Ilya Lyubushkin 4yrs/12m (3m)

Podkolzin (900k) - Pettersson (7.3) - Boeser (6)

Konecny (5.5) - Horvat (5.5) - Pearson (3.2)

Larsson (2) - Eller (3) - Garland (4.9)

Aston-Reese (1.5) - Lammikko (1.2) - Grant (1.5)

Highmore (900k)

Sanheim (4.9) - Myers (6)

Hughes (7.8) - Lyubushkin (3)

Dermott (1.5) - Rutta (1.8)

Schenn (850k)

Demko (5)

Martin (760k)

Deadcap - 2.4

Total Caphit = 77.4

Final Chapter: Final Take.

Sandpaper is a thing in hockey. 

OEL has trade clause and 2 yrs ago it was firm Boston and Vancouver, Cant se him going to Washington..I really think LA Kings, Columbus, Boston are going to make a big offer for Miller..If NYR or Colorado get knock out next round they will also be in the Miller trade talks...

3 hours ago, mll said:

I don't know OEL but he preferred clashing with his coach and having a lesser role than waiving for a larger group of teams.  Dhaliwal/Drance's source say otherwise.

A 3rd is better than getting saddled with an inefficient contract for 2 more seasons.  Dickinson looks like a cap dump at this stage - he might need to 1st rebound before Vancouver can trade him.

I don't know why the Canuck coaches (and Benning) kept pushing Dickinson into the 3C role, when it was well

known that he was better off playing as a LW.  Towards the end of the season, he was playing much better and

was obviously more comfortable in the LW role. If the gm can find a 3C, there's a good chance that we will

see an improvement in Dixie's game this season.

I am more worried about Poolman than Dixie.  He will me much harder to move and has an extra year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know why the Canuck coaches (and Benning) kept pushing Dickinson into the 3C role, when it was well

known that he was better off playing as a LW.  Towards the end of the season, he was playing much better and

was obviously more comfortable in the LW role. If the gm can find a 3C, there's a good chance that we will

see an improvement in Dixie's game this season.

I am more worried about Poolman than Dixie.  He will me much harder to move and has an extra year.

I think the payoff for the Canucks is much higher and more likely with Poolman. 

Out of the 40 games that he played, he had a 10 game stretch where he was good, and then started finding his groove again for the last 10 games before he got hurt. 

I didn't like him at all during the changeover between coaches where he had lost his game and confidence. 

If Poolman steadies himself next year (and regains good health, knock on wood), we will have a 6'4 215lbs RHD signed at a good number for 3 more years. 

31 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Out of the 40 games that he played, he had a 10 game stretch where he was good, and then started finding his groove again for the last 10 games before he got hurt. 

I didn't like him at all during the changeover between coaches where he had lost his game and confidence. 

If Poolman steadies himself next year (and regains good health, knock on wood), we will have a 6'4 215lbs RHD signed at a good number for 3 more years. 

I don’t think we can rely on Poolman. If he plays, great. But we should plan around him.  Trade Miller for a package that includes Marino.  

Hughes Marino

OEL Myers

Bone Schenn 

Poolman 

(Never mind, misread Capfriendly so it's a moot point).
Sanheim and Konecny plus a 1st would be quite good of a return for Miller + Poolman, though I don't know if I see OEL going to Washington (they are a good veteran team but not sure if adding him puts them over the hump, plus he's still signed for so long; if he declines they're in trouble).  If Anaheim does the 3rd trade I'd happily oblige.

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Trade 1: we overpay (Sanheim's a pending UFA, so the trade boils down to Miller for Konecny, 1st and prospect -- not bad, but I wonder if we could do better, and we shouldn't be throwing in Hoglander in this case).  

Not sure about trade 2, if 3rd can happen then I'd be all for it.

I Find it strange that you think Sanhiem has no value in the trade because he’s a pending UFA when the primary piece coming from Vancouver is also a pending UFA.  Especially when Sanhiem is 26 and Miller is 29. 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I Find it strange that you think Sanhiem has no value in the trade because he’s a pending UFA when the primary piece coming from Vancouver is also a pending UFA.  Especially when Sanhiem is 26 and Miller is 29. 

Ahh whoops it just occurred to me that CapFriendly updated to next year (didn't see that it shows 2022-23 as the first column now), never mind.

21 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Ahh whoops it just occurred to me that CapFriendly updated to next year (didn't see that it shows 2022-23 as the first column now), never mind.

Lol. That’s fair.  They updated it recently. 

• Cheers 1

Adding Sandpaper,  

Clear some cap,  perhaps let our RFA go,  

and make Dubois RFA an offer better than his qualifying,  his QO is around 7m.

We have the assets to pay the penalty for doing it I beleive.

just spitting chicklets. :ph34r:

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think that Poolman and Dickinson  (and OEL for that matter - OEL like the rest of the team for the most part, was better with Bruce)....all have a decent shot of redemption next season.    Ray Ferraro (and watching hockey as long as i have tend to agree with this statement), says it's takes most if not an entire season to get used to a new team and get your groove on.    Dickinson IMO, was probably one of JB safer moves .... watching him in Dallas, he for sure worked there.    Played a lot of minutes and relied heavily on their defensive side of the game (think Sutter-lite but on the wing)... Poolman was a riskier play.    But also his cap hit isn't terrible for a depth guy or a bottom pairing guy.   Not saying we couldn't do better because of course we could as well.    Burroughs was interesting .... sand paper.    Schenn of course ... well what a score he turned out to be (and also a good trade chip, or potential re-signing)....Teams got an early Luongo vibe going on right now.   For sure we will see some roster change before the final product of this core is revealed but it's not so bad as is either. 

20 hours ago, IBatch said:

I think that Poolman and Dickinson  (and OEL for that matter - OEL like the rest of the team for the most part, was better with Bruce)....all have a decent shot of redemption next season.    Ray Ferraro (and watching hockey as long as i have tend to agree with this statement), says it's takes most if not an entire season to get used to a new team and get your groove on.    Dickinson IMO, was probably one of JB safer moves .... watching him in Dallas, he for sure worked there.    Played a lot of minutes and relied heavily on their defensive side of the game (think Sutter-lite but on the wing)... Poolman was a riskier play.    But also his cap hit isn't terrible for a depth guy or a bottom pairing guy.   Not saying we couldn't do better because of course we could as well.    Burroughs was interesting .... sand paper.    Schenn of course ... well what a score he turned out to be (and also a good trade chip, or potential re-signing)....Teams got an early Luongo vibe going on right now.   For sure we will see some roster change before the final product of this core is revealed but it's not so bad as is either. 

I think this is a pretty good assessment. Offensively, the team only started hitting its potential in the second half of the season, when Petey got his confidence back. The powerplay started looking really good, and the penalty kill started looking better too once they switched to a more aggressive style. 

The concern I still have going into next year is that defense - the left side looks solid, but the right side seems loaded with bottom pairing options, and a RHD whos style doesnt complement his partner (Myers). 

It will take some wizardry, but I imagine thats the priority to fix. If that one thing gets done, I'd say lets see what this team can do. 

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

I think this is a pretty good assessment. Offensively, the team only started hitting its potential in the second half of the season, when Petey got his confidence back. The powerplay started looking really good, and the penalty kill started looking better too once they switched to a more aggressive style. 

The concern I still have going into next year is that defense - the left side looks solid, but the right side seems loaded with bottom pairing options, and a RHD whos style doesnt complement his partner (Myers). 

It will take some wizardry, but I imagine thats the priority to fix. If that one thing gets done, I'd say lets see what this team can do. 

Thing is, the only way to fix the right side , would be trading a key player out.    Not sure even Miller will get us anything that's close to ready right away.   Carlo. Marino keep coming up ... but when you look at it from that teams viewpoint, a rental certainly isn't getting you either player - and Schnieder isn't coming for Miller either, pretty sure anyways.    The guys that could get us that and more are EP/QHs and Demko.   Where would the team be without them?    I don't think we will get much better on the right side (Schenn was actually pretty decent - as was Myers despite his Choas) unless we get a lot weaker somewhere else.    Horvat maybe?   For sure would take some wizardry. Also IF we keep up the last 20 games or so next year for 82 games, there really wouldn't be much to complain about.   First PP unit in the league, decent PK and two 90 point plus guys plus a bunch of others doing more then good enough...core ascension is still likely this teams best chance.    Have to be this season though, after that i'm pretty sure we are in for a COL type re-set. 

Edit:  If Allvin and JR are true to their word - i think we should be expecting some trades to fix the right side and the longer term around Demko/EP/Podz/QHs ... maybe Brock but he's going to have to be lights out and reach his potential this season.   I think there is a good chance Miller gets traded ... maybe even Horvat too.   They say they want to build lines that will last a long time.   It's possible with Horvat .... but not with Miller.   Garland is a possibility too.   But think he stays - certainly showed he can play 5 x 5,  and if Miller or Brock goes he's got a chance to punch way about his pay scale on the first unit.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Thing is, the only way to fix the right side , would be trading a key player out.    Not sure even Miller will get us anything that's close to ready right away.   Carlo. Marino keep coming up ... but when you look at it from that teams viewpoint, a rental certainly isn't getting you either player - and Schnieder isn't coming for Miller either, pretty sure anyways.    The guys that could get us that and more are EP/QHs and Demko.   Where would the team be without them?    I don't think we will get much better on the right side (Schenn was actually pretty decent - as was Myers despite his Choas) unless we get a lot weaker somewhere else.    Horvat maybe?   For sure would take some wizardry. Also IF we keep up the last 20 games or so next year for 82 games, there really wouldn't be much to complain about.   First PP unit in the league, decent PK and two 90 point plus guys plus a bunch of others doing more then good enough...core ascension is still likely this teams best chance.    Have to be this season though, after that i'm pretty sure we are in for a COL type re-set. 

Edit:  If Allvin and JR are true to their word - i think we should be expecting some trades to fix the right side and the longer term around Demko/EP/Podz/QHs ... maybe Brock but he's going to have to be lights out and reach his potential this season.   I think there is a good chance Miller gets traded ... maybe even Horvat too.   They say they want to build lines that will last a long time.   It's possible with Horvat .... but not with Miller.   Garland is a possibility too.   But think he stays - certainly showed he can play 5 x 5,  and if Miller or Brock goes he's got a chance to punch way about his pay scale on the first unit.  

I think thats fair. 

If theyre going to trade JT Miller, its going to be for a package that includes top-4 RHD coming back. 

They might try looking for a reclamation project/ a RD that was miscast on a team. Colin Miller could be a good target if they're looking in the UFA market. 

On 5/29/2022 at 4:56 AM, mll said:

Dobberhockey did a article that shown a 3rd round pick has less than a 15% chance of playing more than 99 games in the NHL. 

Dickinson might not be worth his contract right now, but at least you know you’re getting a proven NHL back. 

• 1 month later...

Adding sand paper on d:

I don't think Dickinson is tradeable  so send him down and save 1.5, trade Poolman if he's in game shape back to Wpg for a 5th to 7th rounder.

Add 2.5, go after Zad or Manson, if not those two

Go after more affordable Joshua Brown or Ian Cole.