The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pest/Goon Team

A buddy and I were having this discussion the other day.

How would a pest/goon team do in a season in the NHL?  Besides the obvious parades to the penalty box and the constant suspensions, would this team actually be successful?

Would they dominate in the playoffs?  How annoying and not fun would this team be to play against? 

I threw this together as quick as possible.  Top 12 forwards lines are kind of pieced together.  (Obviously if people have suggestions etc. or if I am missing anyone)  Also, would this team fit under the cap?  Defence is all mixed up but Trouba would be a top 2 dman for sure.  Would love to see people's combinations and opinions on the success of a pest team.

B. Marchand Benn  Wilson
B. Tkachuk Kadri M. Tkachuk
Kane Bennett Gallagher
Goodrow Lowry Coleman
Lucic Domi Garland
Bunting   Perry
Martin   Kassian
Fologino Watson
Maroon   Reaves
Lemieux   MacEwen
Roussel   Simmonds

Zadorov Seider  
DeAngelo Subban
Cole Trouba
Gudas Gudbranson
Borowiecki MacDermid
Schenn McNabb

Binnington  
Smith    
Edited by Losing With Pride
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

How would a pest/goon team do in a season in the NHL?  Besides the obvious parades to the penalty box and the constant suspensions, would this team actually be successful?

Would they dominate in the playoffs?  How annoying and not fun would this team be to play against? 

I threw this together as quick as possible.  Top 12 forwards lines are kind of pieced together.  (Obviously if people have suggestions etc. or if I am missing anyone)  Also, would this team fit under the cap?  Defence is all mixed up but Trouba would be a top 2 dman for sure.  Would love to see people's combinations and opinions on the success of a pest team.

B. Marchand Benn  Wilson
B. Tkachuk Bennett M. Tkachuk
Kane Lowry Gallagher
Goodrow Domi Coleman
Lucic   Simmonds
Bunting   Perry
Martin   Kassian
Fologino Watson
Maroon   Reaves
Lemieux   MacEwen
Roussel    

Zadorov Seider  
DeAngelo Subban
Cole Trouba
Gudas Gudbranson
Borowiecki MacDermid
Schenn McNabb

Binnington  
Smith    

Interesting list. Kind of telling that no Canuck made it on to the team. That’s one of our problems for sure.

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The vast majority of top NHL players are not going to be intimidated.  So, any team building that type of lineup will lose unless those pests/goons are also very good players.  

I thought you were old enough to remember the 70s Flyers.

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Interesting list. Kind of telling that no Canuck made it on to the team. That’s one of our problems for sure.

Schenn ?

This is one of the reasons we can't trade Garland he draws a ton of penalties and takes very few. We need more guys who do that and a couple guys who can play and throw em Shenn's a start. Jeannot is an absolute beauty! Would love to add this guy. 

11 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

B. Marchand Benn  Wilson
Kane Bennett Gallagher
Goodrow Lowry Coleman
Lucic Domi Garland
Bunting   Perry
Martin   Kassian
Fologino Watson
Maroon   Reaves
Lemieux   MacEwen
Roussel   Simmonds

Zadorov Seider  
DeAngelo Subban
Cole Trouba
Gudas Gudbranson
Borowiecki MacDermid
Schenn McNabb

Binnington  
Smith    

1.Deslauriere,(  MacDermid toughest guy in NHL,) Greenway 6'6, Jeannot, Kadri, Gadjovich, Manson

11 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

B. Marchand Benn  Wilson
Kane Bennett Gallagher
Goodrow Lowry Coleman
Lucic Domi Simmonds
Bunting   Perry
Martin   Kassian
Fologino Watson
Maroon   Reaves
Lemieux   MacEwen
Roussel    

Zadorov Seider  
DeAngelo Subban
Cole Trouba
Gudas Gudbranson
Borowiecki MacDermid
Schenn McNabb

Binnington  
Smith    

what would you assemble in your dream pest goon team under the cap. 

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I thought you were old enough to remember the 70s Flyers.

The early 80s Flyers tried to but Thomas Gradin wouldn't have any of it:

skip to about 4:00 mark...(and he didn't wilt in the tougher playoff hockey games [was about a 'point per game' pace in the postseason]).

Even better a amateur scout for the Canucks than a player for the team!  (largely responsible for Edler, Ohlund, and the Sedins).  Heck, Thomas Gradin's mom actually babysat Markus Naslund as a little kid.:lol: