The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How far are we from being a playoff contender?

Rate this topic

On 6/4/2022 at 9:11 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

1) Another elite offensive forward.

2) Core 3C, ideally right handed.

3) At least one more strong top-4 RHD. 

4) Overall team grit, size and physicality. 

We're close, real close but all we need to get us to be a contender is a bit of fine tuning with;

1) FIVE new Faster, Gritier, Younger defensmen that can break out of the zone and move the puck out quickly and effectively and can outmuscle oppenents and keep the front of the net clear

2) NINE new Faster, Gritier, Younger forwards that can skate quickly, make completed passes, stickhandle, back check, actually score goals, are not afraid to go down the middle (currently known as "The NO-GO Zone") and are not floaters.

3) A descent B/U goalie.

4) A new mascot.

....that's about all we need, as far as I can see and that outta do it !

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 3

On 6/16/2022 at 3:58 PM, Me_ said:

We are playoff contenders.

We just had the wrong coach to start the year.

Big difference between playoff contenders and Cup contenders though.

Clearly we all desire the same result: we win the Cup.

Some see us needing to take a step back to do that, which means guys like Miller, Garland need to be moved for youth (picks/prospects) 

Spme seems needing to happen not tinker around the edges of our top minute guys, which means dumping guys like Dickinson, Pearson, Poolman and replacing them with better support players.

JR will make the hard choices that some fans wont like.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Some see us needing to take a step back to do that, which means guys like Miller, Garland need to be moved for youth (picks/prospects) 

Spme seems needing to happen not tinker around the edges of our top minute guys, which means dumping guys like Dickinson, Pearson, Poolman and replacing them with better support players.

Moving Miller and moving Garland just isn’t the same conversation.

Miller is to Horvat as Garland is to Höglander.

Dickinson and Poolman yeah. And I’m usually for a Pearson trade. But Pearson is defensive money extremely well spent.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We're close, real close but all we need to get us to be a contender is a bit of fine tuning with;

1) FIVE new Faster, Gritier, Younger defensmen that can break out of the zone and move the puck out quickly and effectively and can outmuscle oppenents and keep the front of the net clear

2) NINE new Faster, Gritier, Younger forwards that can skate quickly, make completed passes, stickhandle, back check, actually score goals, are not afraid to go down the middle (currently known as "The NO-GO Zone") and are not floaters.

3) A descent B/U goalie.

4) A new mascot.

....that's about all we need, as far as I can see and that outta do it !

Bigger back handers to the zebras should do it....:P

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well said: playoff contenders vs cup contender.  Allvin has some hard choices to make and I wonder if Aquaman will have the patience to give Allvin a chance - but JRs' 3yr contract seems to indicate that this is a timeline to keep an eye on.  I just can't see a quick turn around but I like JRs' optimism and I will be VERY interested to watch, if his HOF experience will be enough to help Allvin with his version of a retool.  Wonder which of the Canadian teams will be further ahead, in a few years: the rebuilding Habs or the (ever) retooling Canucks ?

At this point, the Canucks is only a real contender for the Purgatory Cup but this year, Vegas beat us to it.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Well said: playoff contenders vs cup contender.  Allvin has some hard choices to make and I wonder if Aquaman will have the patience to give Allvin a chance - but JRs' 3yr contract seems to indicate that this is a timeline to keep an eye on.  I just can't see a quick turn around but I like JRs' optimism and I will be VERY interested to watch, if his HOF experience will be enough to help Allvin with his version of a retool.  Wonder which of the Canadian teams will be further ahead, in a few years: the rebuilding Habs or the (ever) retooling Canucks ?

At this point, the Canucks is only a real contender for the Purgatory Cup but this year, Vegas beat us to it.

It sure seems to rise to the top a team needs to do at least one (well planned) deep dive.  And even after such planning there could be a second dip, like what Sakic did in Colorado.  

41 minutes ago, Muttley said:

One excellent penalty killing forward that doubles as someone who drops the gloves when necessary and beats the living ---- out of his opponents.

A decent size, right handed defenseman that can handle big minutes, big opponents, and has a great first pass.  It's OK if this dude is between 22-30, 

Obviously a replacement for Motte. He did a job and it's not an easy one to do. Super pest, without taking too many penalties. Sort of an art.

We are not that far off, folks. I kid you not. We almost made it this year.  A big overhaul could spell disaster for the Vancouver hockey market. 

Exactly this. I’ll keep saying if we hired Bruce even two weeks earlier we would’ve been in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 3

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It sure seems to rise to the top a team needs to do at least one (well planned) deep dive.  And even after such planning there could be a second dip, like what Sakic did in Colorado.  

Lots have tried to beat the cycles a team NEEDS TO GO THROUGH but the list of cup champs (in the Cap era) has proven that a deep dive, is neccessary to build up a foundation & culture from HOME GROWN TALENTS.  Ofcourse, it will (always) come down to some luck, a GM that holds firm to his/her plan, a well built front office and an owner that know his role.  The off ice team is a bigfer focused on some teams vs the on ice roster; and it should be a bigger focus here - imo cause Aquaman is still the architect of the last regime; and we can hope he now understands his role, as owner and be more mindful that he has no clue on how to win a Stanley Cup.  JR has the resume but Allvin doesn't and that is where I am tempering my expectations.  I am not really big on chasing players when the team has not figured out the front office and coaching staff cause we had seen what the right coach can do: same roster with Green vs Boudreau.  Currently, it seems Boudreau is the right coach and JR is the rigth PoHO. Perhaps, a successful offseason for Allvin will help him earn a long-term opportunity ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

One excellent penalty killing forward that doubles as someone who drops the gloves when necessary and beats the living ---- out of his opponents.

A decent size, right handed defenseman that can handle big minutes, big opponents, and has a great first pass.  It's OK if this dude is between 22-30, 

Obviously a replacement for Motte. He did a job and it's not an easy one to do. Super pest, without taking too many penalties. Sort of an art.

We are not that far off, folks. I kid you not. We almost made it this year.  A big overhaul could spell disaster for the Vancouver hockey market. 

Yeah, if the Canucks have Petey, Horvat, Demko, Hughes, OEL, Boeser, Garland, Pods, Hoglander and Miller (or whoever we trade him for) playing at the best we’ve seen from them I think we’re definitely closer to contender than most people think.  

I think management is leaning that way too and the “3-4 years away” crowd is going to be  surprised.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, if the Canucks have Petey, Horvat, Demko, Hughes, OEL, Boeser, Garland, Pods, Hoglander and Miller (or whoever we trade him for) playing at the best we’ve seen from them I think we’re definitely closer to contender than most people think.  

I think management is leaning that way too and the “3-4 years away” crowd is going to be  surprised.

Those fans in the 3-5 year crowd will be pleasantly surprised.  We all want the same result: a winning window of five years where we are legitimate Cup contenders.  We just differ on the best course to get there.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Those fans in the 3-5 year crowd will be pleasantly surprised.  We all want the same result: a winning window of five years where we are legitimate Cup contenders.  We just differ on the best course to get there.  

Yeah, I hope people don’t jump all over this management group if things don’t go their way (one way or the other.)  As usual I’ll get behind whatever they decide.

• Like 1

i think it's probably fair to say.. in order to win the stanley cup.. you need mutliple top 5 picks that are your top players and a norris caliber defenseman.. there's really not that many exceptions.. there's no short cuts to winning the cup really.. Boston is the only team that won the cup without a top 5 draft pick as one of their top players, and every single team have a norris caliber defenseman. while Hughes is great don't think he's in the same conversation as any of those players in their prime.. they are all big nasty and can score maybe except letang in terms of size. the only team wear tanking/rebuilding properly didn't work probably Edmonton and Toronto? with multiple top 5 picks because both of them are missing the norris caliber defenseman

current favorite colorado: Mackinnon Landeskog Makar

tampa bay: hedman Stamkos

St louis: Pietrangelo

Washington: Ovechkin, backstrom, Carlson

Pittsburgh: Crosby Malkin Letang

Chicago: Kane Toews Keiths

Boston: Chara 

LA: Doughty